Use Year and Banking

Jaga

Earning My Ears
Apologies for an already much discussed thread.

I am waiting closing of a BWV resale with a Dec use year.

What EXACTLY are my banking windows...beginning or end of month?

If I bank 50% or 25% of the points due to use of a later window than 6month, Do I get 50% or 25% of my points banked in return for the total 100% of my current use year.

For example does 100 points for 2001 become 50 points for 2002. Or does it mean that I can only carry 50 points to 2002 and still must use 50 points in 2001. ie do I lose points.

Sorry if the question is vague....but the latter is obviously a much better deal

Thanks

Let's see if I can help you.

With a December use year, your banking deadlines are:

up to 100% of your points can be banked prior to May 31; up to 50% can be banked prior to August 31; and up to 25% can be banked prior to September 30.

The banking limits apply to the cumulative amount of that use year's points. Thus, you could not bank 50% prior to May 31 and the other 50% prior to August 31. Any points banked within the limits carry over in full to your next use year, but cannot be returned under any circumstances to their original use year. For example, if you had a 150 point contract witha December use year and all of the points you received on December 1, 2000 were still available today, you could bank 75 of those points prior to August 31. Those banked points would now be usable for a reservation for a trip between December 1, 2001 and November 30, 2002 ONLY. Your remaining 75 points would still be available for a trip, but they would need to be used for a stay prior to November 30, 2001.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for clarifying the banking/borrowing rules.

Delighted to hear that we do not actually lose any points by banking late.

Jaga

This might sound Goofy, but;

If I bank 50% (or any other percentage less than 100%) of my points at the May 31 deadline, would I be able to bank 50% of the remaining unbanked points in August?

No. You can bank up to 100% by May 31. If you bank none you can then bank up to 50% by Aug 31. However, if you banked any before then, they get counted towards the 50% total you can now bank at end of Aug. Same applies to the 25% you can bank by Sep 30. If before then you have already banked 25% or more, you cannot bank anymore. If you have banked less than 25% you can bring total banked up to 25%.

Good job Doctor P!

Granny, you can take the percentages and determine your own total amounts. These would be the maximum amount of points you could have banked. Using the original example and assuming you own a total of 200 points those amounts would be:

up to 200 points (100%) of your points can be banked prior to May 31;

up to 100 points (50%) can be banked prior to August 31.

Up to 50 points (25%) can be banked prior to September 30.

If you bank 100 points by May 31 -- that's it for the year since that's also the 50% you could bank in the next time period.

If you don't bank anything prior to May 31, you have until August 31 to bank 100 points. Or, if you bank 25 points in May, you have until August 31 to bank an additional 75 points (total of 100).

Many thanks PamOKW and drusba!:)

You've cleared up a question I've had but didn't have the guts to start a thread about! And you both explained it very clearly.

Checking in at VWL for my first DVC trip 9 months from tomorrow! :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter