using a spiral ham as a part of my buffet?

dis2cruise

Long Island, NY
my ds gratuation party is next sunday. I bought a spiral ham from costco i will cut it up put it into a sterno dish heat it up in my oven and then pop it into the sterno to serve.

would this work? would it get too dried out? should i put the glaze on it too? any suggestions would be very helpful!

my ds gratuation party is next sunday. I bought a spiral ham from costco i will cut it up put it into a sterno dish heat it up in my oven and then pop it into the sterno to serve.

would this work? would it get too dried out? should i put the glaze on it too? any suggestions would be very helpful!

Most of these hams are already cooked and are made to be served room temperature. If you choose to bake it then I would glaze it and also put a bit of
cooking liquid or broth in the buffet pan or it will dry out.

Warm it in the oven whole, for not too long otherwise the edges do tend to dry out. I'd skip the sterno and put a sharp knife on the tray to let people free their own slices from the bone. The glaze mix that comes with it tends to be salty, so I only use half of it, mixed with something else like a can of cranberry sauce or crushed pineapple.

I woudl slice it up and put it in the tray. Nothing worse than holding up a buffet line because someone is trying to slice a piece of ham. Ham is a favorite in my family and everyone takes some so each one having to cut it does slow down the line.

It is a great thing for a buffet.

Warm it in the oven whole, for not too long otherwise the edges do tend to dry out. I'd skip the sterno and put a sharp knife on the tray to let people free their own slices from the bone. The glaze mix that comes with it tends to be salty, so I only use half of it, mixed with something else like a can of cranberry sauce or crushed pineapple.

I do the samething.A good spiral cut ham does'nt take much to take off the bone.In fact,I normaly put a sharp knife out and a pair of tongs.

Very true about the glaze also.The ham is already salted and using the glaze that comes with it makes it saltier.A can of cranberry suace or crushed pineapple realy adds a great flavor for a glaze.I even mixed the two toghether with great results.

Basicaly if you leave it on the bone,the less dryness the meat will be and will not hold up a line of hungery people!

the party turned out great!! What I did with the ham was my husband took it off the bone placed in a sterno tray. I made the sauce packet that came with the ham instead of water to the packet I added pineapple juice. brushed the sauce onto the sliced ham and the ladies who was helping that day ONLY heated it up a bit...it was soooo good!!

I was just reading through your thread and yes, Pineapple with the juice is the best to keep ham moist and tasty on a buffet. Glad it worked out for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter