• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using DVC points for cruise

matthew517

Mouseketeer
I'm looking at booking a 2022 cruise. My use year is Dec. Do I get to borrow from dec 2022, use dec 2021 and dec 2020s points?

With the exception of December 2022, the other months are all in your 2021 UY. So you can use banked 2020, 2021 abs borrow 2022.. it’s limited to 50% for borrowing but not sure if that applies to cruises.

Just remember, if you trade out and you or the cruise gets canceled, those points become reservation points and will no longer be valid to book DVC resorts.

We had extra points when we first joined as a result of a promotion. I used them for a cruise. Hind sight is 20/20 right? I wouldn't use points for a cruise again. I'd rent my points and then use cash for the cruise. It's a much better $ per point value to do that. I understand why people do it but concider renting them and paying cash. You get more bang for your buck.

If you need to cancel the cruise, your points have become Reservation points and cannot be used to book a DVC stay. Only a Disney Resort, another DCL cruise or Adv by Dis.

As others have said, unless you purchased your points years ago when they were very cheap, using points for a cruise is a very bad use of points.
The general thought is you are better off to pay cash for the cruise and rent your points. You will come out far ahead financially.

Check out this older thread for pros and cons of using points for cruising:

Using Points for the DVC "Collections"

Even though it was last updated in 2019 (cited numbers out of date) it's still a good summary of the varying opinions on the use of points for non-DVC resort options.

I'm looking at booking a 2022 cruise. My use year is Dec. Do I get to borrow from dec 2022, use dec 2021 and dec 2020s points?

Yes, unless the cruise is in Dec of 2022.

Others have chimed in on using points for cruises. I agree with their assessments.

But, bottom line, these are your points so you can burn them any way you wish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter