Using my own EZ Pass

SM1992

DVC member since 1997
*Trying again since my post yesterday seems to have disapeared* Can I bring my own EZ Pass (from Massachusetts) to Fl. and use it in a rental car? Any special process to do this?
Thanks

Florida uses a different tolling system. Your Mass EZ Pass will not work there.

Thanks folks, I know it can't be used on some toll roads, just wondering if the rental company will hassle us about it.

Thanks folks, I know it can't be used on some toll roads, just wondering if the rental company will hassle us about it.
Yeah I replied. Wonder what happened to the thread.
Anyway, no the rental companies will not hassle you. The “no stop” toll lanes either read a transponder or bill pay-by-plate. Make sure the rental transponder is in the off position - pretty obvious, add the rental car plate to your account and go - with the caveat you understand where EZPass is accepted and where not (we used our Ohio one a few times). After you drop the car remove the rental plate info from your account. We have done this at least 4 times now with no problems.
As we are branching out more in FL, we did switch to UNI which is more widely accepted in FL and all around our region as well.

We have our own Sunpass transponder for years (we live in PA and have EZ Pass). We have never had an issue with the rental and using the Sunpass. We just decline all toll options, and use the app to add the rental car to our account for the time period.

The exact mechanisms are different with the various rental car companies, some of them have a transponder with an on/off switch. Most of them are pay by plate, so it will take from your transponder before it goes through the plate. A word of warning, if the rental companies transponder is on, it will take from that and you are stuck paying whatever fees the rental company says you owe.

We have an Ipass that doesn't work in Florida. Previously, used the free Sunpass option. This year, we went ahead and purchased a Sunpass (don't do the mini as it can't easily be moved from vehicle to vehicle). It will get used enough to make it worth the time savings.

We have an Ipass that doesn't work in Florida. Previously, used the free Sunpass option. This year, we went ahead and purchased a Sunpass (don't do the mini as it can't easily be moved from vehicle to vehicle). It will get used enough to make it worth the time savings.
The I-Pass does work in Florida, just not everywhere. The I-Pass will work where that the E-Pass or EZ-Pass will work, which is not the road from MCO to WDW but is the road from MCO to Canaveral.

The I-Pass does work in Florida, just not everywhere. The I-Pass will work where that the E-Pass or EZ-Pass will work, which is not the road from MCO to WDW but is the road from MCO to Canaveral.
Not quite. IPass works on the Central Florida Expressway toll roads. This includes 417 from MCO to the World Center Drive/International Drive exit to WDW (exit 6) as well as the section of 528 from MCO to Canaveral. To take 417 to WDW from MCO, use the South exit from the airport.

Dont ever use EzPass for a car not on your EzPass Account ,,,we did and got a fine. Got a new car and Our plates were updated by dealer when we went from truck to SUV and they didnt match our account. It was a whole mess I would never want to do again, simple to fix when we finally got someone to help us unlock our online account.

A lot or rental cars will have the toll pass mounted on the windshield but in a box that needs to be opened to use the pass. If it's not opened the pass will not be read.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter