UV umbrellas are a game changer

NashvilleMama

DIS Veteran
Just returned from a quick weekend trip, and it was BEYOND hot (way worse than in years past this same weekend.) I cannot emphasize enough how much of a difference a UV umbrella makes when walking through the parks or standing in outdoor lines and am shocked more people aren't using them as I only saw a handful of people with them. I wouldn't have made it without mine, even for an hour as the sun was that brutal and just wipes you out.

Sharing a link to the one I bought after I'd seen it recommended here a few years ago and highly, highly recommend you stuff one in your backpack.

https://a.co/d/8rMKB61

Just returned from a quick weekend trip, and it was BEYOND hot (way worse than in years past this same weekend.) I cannot emphasize enough how much of a difference a UV umbrella makes when walking through the parks or standing in outdoor lines and am shocked more people aren't using them as I only saw a handful of people with them. I wouldn't have made it without mine, even for an hour as the sun was that brutal and just wipes you out.

Sharing a link to the one I bought after I'd seen it recommended here a few years ago and highly, highly recommend you stuff one in your backpack.

Yes! We have a similar one, and it made a big difference.

That's true, but you are severely overestimating what's likely to happen in a hot ride line with people's moods these days. Save this post ;) If I'm on the right track with what I've seen, they'd be banned after one or two incidents around eyes.

That's true, but you are severely overestimating what's likely to happen in a hot ride line with people's moods these days. Save this post ;) If I'm on the right track with what I've seen, they'd be banned after one or two incidents around eyes.

Doubt it. We've been using these in WDW and Disneyland since like 2015. Never poked anyone in the eye. Still using them regularly. People don't just walk into umbrellas. They work great for creating personal space. No sweaty people breathing down your neck.

Doubt it. We've been using these in WDW and Disneyland since like 2015. Never poked anyone in the eye. Still using them regularly. People don't just walk into umbrellas. They work great for creating personal space. No sweaty people breathing down your neck.

You are not understanding the point. Anyway it doesn't matter. Time will tell.

But aren't there currently much more people using reg umbrellas during rain storms, vs UV umbrellas on sunny days?
I'm referring to a specific scenario based on the OP's original comments. Rain umbrellas come out for a short time during a storm. Even parasols now for sun are limited. So no issues really. The OP comment was, why isn't everyone using one. So the point being, if a very high percentage of guests in a tight line in the summer sun at WDW were holding umbrellas, it is a certainty that someone is going to get poked (whether dangerously or not) and cause an issue of either crankiness or medical need. So it's a scenario if this became an extreme, not the current state. That's how selfie sticks got banned ultimately...they became an issue.

I am understanding your point. I haven't heard about any fights breaking out because of umbrellas at WDW or any other theme park recently. WDW cannot ban umbrellas. It rains there like 350 days a year. They can ban people who start fights about umbrellas though.
See my other response. This is exhausting. Read up on selfie sticks.

I have a UV umbrella that I used two weeks ago and I totally agree, they are amazing! Between the umbrella and my neck fan, I stayed pretty comfortable in the heat. I’m never going to Disney again without it.

Here is the link to the one I used:
UV Umbrella

agreed - they're used widely in the Tokyo parks, people just know how not to run into other people's personal space. :)

Yeah the south is in a heat dome/wave right now, it's not been fun. Even regular, non UV umbrellas, make a big difference. And even for when it rains in the summer, I can't stand ponchos..... you're basically walking around inside a greenhouse in 95 degrees and 100% humidity, it's the worst feeling, at least you get air circulation with an umbrella and aren't walking around in a trash bag.

Yeah the south is in a heat dome/wave right now, it's not been fun. Even regular, non UV umbrellas, make a big difference. And even for when it rains in the summer, I can't stand ponchos..... you're basically walking around inside a greenhouse in 95 degrees and 100% humidity, it's the worst feeling, at least you get air circulation with an umbrella and aren't walking around in a trash bag.

Agree. We bring the ponchos but only put them on when it rains so hard it comes down sideways. Umbrellas are useless in those kinds of downpours.

I purchased one two years ago, right before we hit the parks in August. We are crazy enough to be going again this August, and I already have my uv umbrella in my to pack pile.

Interesting. I have never used one at WDW, but I will take one to the upcoming tennis tournament in DC, it was HOT last summer. Visiting WDW Labor Day weekend, maybe I will take one along and see if I can use it in certain situations. It is hard to find a bench in the shade to sit on, might work for that.

I always take an umbrella to the Disney for the sun. There aren't very many lines that I can think of that are not under some sort of cover, unless it is super crowded and the line exceeds the designed queue location. I would not use it if I was invading the space of others. I recently purchased a UV umbrella; I had always just used a regular umbrella before.

I also use umbrellas for sun in my regular life - at soccer games, parks, etc. I always make sure I am not blocking anyone's view. Many people have told me that they wished that they had thought to bring an umbrella. It really does help so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter