Valley of Fire State Park or Red Rock Canyon

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
Trying to get a handle on wether Valley of Fire State Park
http://parks.nv.gov/vf.htm
Valley of Fire State Park is located only six miles from Lake Mead and 55 miles northeast of Las Vegas via Interstate 15 and on exit 75. Valley of Fire is Nevada's oldest and largest state park, dedicated 1935. The valley derives its name from the red sandstone formations and the stark beauty of the Mojave Desert. Ancient trees and early man are represented throughout the park by areas of petrified wood and 3,000 year-old Indian petroglyph. Popular activities include camping, hiking, picnicking and photography. The park offers a full-scale visitor center with extensive interpretive displays. Several group use areas are also available. The park is open all year.

*wonder if it is reasonably close enough to drive thru after visiting Hoover Dam?

realize during summer, it'd probably be too hot to get out & explore, is it a nice drive thru?

or should we just do the driving loop thru Red Rock Canyon?:confused:

...why don't you do both, too.

Valley of Fire is more like a day trip, as I recall.

Red Rick Canyon is, I think, a half day trip.

Each is worth the time you spend there; and each is spectacular in different ways.

JMHO.....

our 1st trip to vegas, just a drive by before DL; only 2 nights.

sure that we'll return, sorta a recon mission;)

while both seem interesting; need to select the one that would fit in a day trip from vegas, hopefully returning before evening rush hour traffic? Although, from what i've been reading, traffic is always heavy on the strip.

Red Rock Canyon is closer to LV than Valley of Fire.

It has a "loop" road as I recall that starts and ends at the Visitor's Center.

Valley of Fire is a "drive-thru" in that there is only one main road that starts at one end of the park and ends at the other. Of course, there are turnoffs along the way.

If time and driving are the issues, go with Red Rock Canyon and save Valley of Fire for the next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter