• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vehicle sizes?

leebee

DIS Veteran
Travelers are 4 average-sized adults (nobody very overweight or very tall) and a very skinny 7yo, who may or may not be in a booster seat. My guess is luggage will be 2 suitcases, 3 carry-ons, and 4 backpacks. What size rental vehicle should I consider? Will we fit in a full-size car or do we need an SUV/minivan? We will only be traveling to/from the airport to our rental home and the parks. At home we drive a Kia Soul or a Honda Fit, so I am not a good judge for "larger" vehicles, but rental cars are $$$ and I'm hoping to save some money here!

It will be tight seating 4 adults along with a 7 yo, particularly with the indicated luggage. We usually rent full size, getting a Toyota Camry, Chevy Malibu, Nissan Altima, or something similar. Even though all these have good-sized trunks, two checked bags and three carry ons will likely be a full load. I know we’ve managed to load two checked bags and two carry ons plus one back pack, and I felt like I was playing Tetris. The backpacks may or may not fit along with all the suitcases and any that don‘t make it will have to go into the already full passenger space on laps or by feet.

I agree with others; a full size would be tight. If you have a booster seat for the 7yo that will make the backseat very tight. That also means you have to get all the suitcases in the trunk, which as others noted might be a challenge.

I would go to the next category up, if for nothing else than peace of mind and some comfort for all passengers. I know rental cars are expensive, but a full just sounds too risky to me.

Travelers are 4 average-sized adults (nobody very overweight or very tall) and a very skinny 7yo, who may or may not be in a booster seat. My guess is luggage will be 2 suitcases, 3 carry-ons, and 4 backpacks. What size rental vehicle should I consider? Will we fit in a full-size car or do we need an SUV/minivan? We will only be traveling to/from the airport to our rental home and the parks. At home we drive a Kia Soul or a Honda Fit, so I am not a good judge for "larger" vehicles, but rental cars are $$$ and I'm hoping to save some money here!
Can confirm this would be tight in a full size but is doable if you're not cruising around for hours on end and just getting from point A to B. Before we got an SUV, we had a sonata, mid sized sedan, and we'd travel all over the place in this car with 5. Trunks are ample sized for several suitcases and bags. No issues there and we had boosters/car seats. If you'll be just going to/from airport and parks, (with no bags), you definitely don't need an SUV or van.

Rental companies tend to name their categories differently from how you or I would describe them. Generally, the cars are smaller then you would expect and their idea of midsize or fullsize isn't the same as mine. Best to check their website for examples of the actual size vehicle in their various categories. Even if only going to/from the airport you still need something large enough to hold all of the people in your group + luggage.

The problem with most cars/sedans is all of your luggage may not fit in the trunk. Various sized SUV's are offered and usually have more room for everything you will have with you.

I currently drive a Camry and can fit four full sized adults, a skinny kid (if necessary) and several bags in the trunk so I frankly think you'd be fine if just going to the resort and not tooling around town.

A few years ago, I had a full size rental for four people, each with large luggage. I can't remember the model, but it might have been a Maxima. That trunk BARELY shut with those four bags inside! The backpacks were jammed in the middle of the backseat between the two rear passengers.

A full size is going to fit everything if all the backpacks are in the cabin and maybe one of the carryons depending on the size of the checked bags. I fit two 28" or maximum sized checked bags, one carryon and a backpack in the trunk of a Camry. If I had 26" bags I would probably have been able to fit another carryon.

I think you could probably fit in a large sedan, depending on the booster seat. A narrow booster seat would give you enough room to fit 2 adults in the back seat too. Your luggage may be a problem because most cars are rated for 4 suitcases and you have 5 bags.

FWIW, I don't think an small SUV will give you more room.

I would maybe be prepared to peel off 2 of your group into a Uber for the ride to your house. It will be cheaper (about $60 RT) than renting a larger car.

You will be ok with a Full Size but it will be tight. We have done it many times with 3 full size suitcases, a smaller stroller and various carryons. Be prepared to hold the smaller bags, but its only about a 20 min drive so not bad. We just returned and had a Standard Size SUV. It ended up being only $15 more than a full size. We had a Ford Edge and it was very comfortable for the 4 of us (my mom was not with us this trip). I drive a Murano at home so it was very comparable and what we are used to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter