• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vero Beach... beware of land crabs!

m1ckeym0use1

Mouseketeer
We returned last week from a nice trip that included 3 nights at Vero. Has anyone else run into the "land crabs"?

One night, driving on A1A we must have dodged 30-40 of them trying to cross the road, and seen the splat marks of many that didn't make it. They were also all around the resort in the bushes, and a couple managed to make it into the pool one night.

They weren't causing any problem.. we just hadn't seen these before when at Vero.

Just got back today--DH almost got bit by one while he was out jogging on A1A! They were splatted all over. We saw a dog on the beach dragging a dead one around yesterday.

Anne

We saw a few a few weeks ago when we were there. They were saying that they can flatten your tires if you hit one just right.

Most were very small but a few were a nice size.

This is a new one! Floridians, is this something that happens regularly like "love bugs" or is it something unusual this year?

We returned last week from a nice trip that included 3 nights at Vero. Has anyone else run into the "land crabs"?

One night, driving on A1A we must have dodged 30-40 of them trying to cross the road, and seen the splat marks of many that didn't make it. They were also all around the resort in the bushes, and a couple managed to make it into the pool one night.

They weren't causing any problem.. we just hadn't seen these before when at Vero.

It's not the land-crabs you need to worry about. It's the land-sharks..... Candy-Gram

:)

This is a new one! Floridians, is this something that happens regularly like "love bugs" or is it something unusual this year?

I live near WDW and have never seen one in this area. Don't worry about it.

Anne

Hey Pam!

We've been to Vero several times, and we've only seen them there 2 or 3 times. ...But we did see them this past Labor Day weekend.

At the bridge right there next to the resort... we were coming back, and just before the redlight - in front of the development there on the south side of the road - they were THICK. You couldn't avoid them.

One day, we had driven down to the Inlet for me to take some pictures... and I drove us back to the resort afterwards. It was like an obstacle course... swerving back and forth to avoid them.... sorta like a game. :) But they were thin enough, there, that you could avoid them.

We saw one couple pull over and try to pick them up and get them off the road... they were obviously tourists...

We don't know what brings them out, but were wondering if it could have something to do with the tides...

If I remember correctly they migrate through that area twice a year. Now and in the Spring. They are on their way to lay their eggs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter