• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vero Beach

flexsmom

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
There is rarely much info here about Vero and we're considering trying to book 5 or 6 nights there next summer (7 month window). Is there enough to keep a family occupied for that long? Is the beach nice? Has much of the damage from last year's hurricanes been repaired? I appreciate any info or opinions from people who have been there.

Thanks!

My parents home resort is Vero Beach which is really quite beautiful. We have stayed at Vero twice. The first time was a 3 day stay (end of October just before halloween), the second time was a 4 day stay (mid september). I personally felt 4 days was enough, although I think my parents could easily stay a week. I think I would get bored if I stayed longer. It is a great place to get away from it all and for pure relaxation. we did a lot of exploring of the area on our last visit. If you have young kids, the resort does offer a lot of fun activities for kids. For example some nights they have a campfire sing along and they make smores (wished I was a kid!!).They also have a character breakfast on weekends with Goofy and Max. As far as the beach goes, it was closed on our first visit due to very high tides caused by a number of Atlantic storms. The second visit, we actually had a beach. It is beautiful, really nice sand that goes for miles. we would walk the beach every morning and we would go shell hunting (tons of shells!!) However, we never ventured into the ocean on that visit because all the beaches had jelly fish warnings. Over all, it is a great resort, Quite different from WDW resorts.

My family of 4 is going to VB next month after 4 nights at WDW. We will be at VB for 5 nights. I will try to post when I get back what there is to do. I have a 10 & 12 year old and am curious what they think of the activites and VB compared to WDW. There are lots of threads with lists of things to do if you do a search. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

On our two trips to VB, they had a DJ at the pool area in the afternoon, and the kids were enjoying that. They seemed to have contests and games and food treats too.

There was a very interesting banjo player on the porch and my Dsis and I had fun talking to him and listening to his tunes. This was on a Saturday afternoon.

Even though it was late May, we didn't feel it was too hot to do the historic Jungle trail bike hike. We didn't leave first thing in the morning either.

We were a party of 4 adults, and 3 nights weren't enough, for any of us.

Bobbi :flower:

VB is great and the beach is pristine. If you have good weather, you should be able to have lots of fun. Take a car ride into town for shopping.

We stayed 6 nights at VB 2 years ago and had plenty to do. We really enjoyed the pool and the beach. We went to a Vero Beach Dodgers game and had a lot of relaxation time. We took a 7 year old, a 6 year old and a 3 year old and they all had a blast. The kids still talk about what we call our "Disney Beach" trip. It was one of our best vacations. We just returned from HH and had a similar experience.

flexsmom - You were wondering if VB was for your family. Here is my experience from last week.

my family just got back from 5 nights in vero and we booked at the 7 month window. Right at the 7 month window, but got what we wanted right away. We are a family of 4 with a 10 and 12 year old. We got a great 1 BR, bigger than our usual 1BR at BWV. In my opinion there was plenty to do. There is a big schedule of activities everyday from crafts, to small kids activities, to teen plans and longer 4 hour outings. some are free and some cost money. We did some crafts, games, treasure hunts and I did the wine tasting class. Would like to try Kayaking, biking and kids snorkel ears, possibly surfing and cell painting next time.

We enjoyed some of each kind, but found each day we went to the beach and boogie boarded. (rented one for $9 the first day, then drove to CVS and bought one) then swam in the pool, cooled off in the room and ate lunch and then swam again. in between we did some of the activites, but basically really enjoyed the beach, and some family time in the room playing monopoly. We aren't lay out in the sun people, we aren't super sport people either, but we all get in the water and are active together.

I thought the beach was great! we tried to see the shuttle launch, but obviously didn't. As far as hurrican damage, things seemed in good repair, but I could see places on the beach (from a long walkwe took) that appeared not be be repaired (non disney site) and trees at VB resort that I wondered if they had been damaged by the cut limbs. But all in all a lovely well kept place. Having never been there before things looked great.

We started out with 4 nights in WDW, but I think the VB trip was the highlight of our trip. Something new and different. I would definately think 5 nights would be great. We did alot, but also relaxed. And for us after being gone for 9 nights we were then ready for home. If anyone has specific questions, let me know and I will try to answer them. flexsmom I hope this helps you.

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but.....For those going to VB next month, do any of you want to chip in for a couple of beach chairs and an umbrella from the local Walmart to share??? I was thinking that maybe we could find a place at the resort to store them until the next family can pick them up. Just a thought!

We just spent 1 night at VB (we live locally). I can't say that I'd spend more than 2-3 nights there myself, but it would be fun for that length of time. The beach is BEAUTIFUL! We have a real issue with these coral rock things jutting up under the water at our local beaches, but there was none of that at the VB beach. I would go back just for that benefit. It was just awesome to be able to boogie board w/o worrying about when you were going to bang a foot or an ankle.

One thing that we will do when we go back to VB is bring our own food. We found the restaurants there to be :crazy2: We might drive to Capt. Hiram's one night, but otherwise I'm bringing food and cooking the next time. Also, if you want ice cream, be sure to bring it or buy it at the shop in the lobby. There is no ice-cream place at VB!

We were at VB the week the shuttle was supposed to launch and planned to do that. Unfortunatly it didn't go.
We enjoyed the rest of our time. I felt like they had lots of free activities for teenagers. My son enjoyed capture the flag and waterbasketball. I also saw they had waterslide races, but they didn't do that.
We had lots of fun. The waves the first day were wonderful, they were okay the next day and nearly nonexisting after that.
We are used to big waves as we go to the New Jersey and Maryland Shores usually. Other then that we had fun switching between the pool and beach.
We also went shopping at the mall one day (Indian Run Mall). That was after too much sun and sunburn. Boy 60spf isn't even strong enough for that Florida sun.
I would go back for a week in again in a hearbeat.
Infact we saw a two bedroom for the las week in October on our II website. I wish we could have taken it, that would have been a steal.

I was in Vero 2 weeks ago for four nights. We loved it as well as the kids. We did go to Walmart on our 1st day and stock up but the 4 nights was enough for me. I love the beach but I can only sit and twidle my thumbs for so long ( that goes for any beach ). We had spent a week in Disney before Vero and a week after and that was great. At Vero we spent all week back and forth between the pool and the beach, and yes we did huddle in the fading shady spot at the pool. Vero's grounds were beautiful and my dh and I were able to steal quiet time when the kids some programs.All in all you will love it!! ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

Vero Beach is the only DVC resort I have stayed at so far, though I didn't stay there as a member. I think I was there in 2000, and I believe it was for three nights. I still remember that as the most relaxing trip I've ever had. Although I love running around the WDW theme parks, there's also something to be said for just sitting poolside with a good book amid beautiful surroundings. The food was very good when I was there, though I've heard it has gone downhill recently.

We stayed at a beach house on Vero Beach for 5 nights with our kids and grandchildren - youngest age 5 and oldest 12. Everyone loved it. I thought the kids should have done more activities, many were free, but it was hot and they preferred to stay on the beach.
The beach houses are gorgeous!
Four nights was enough for us. We bought a beach umbrella at Walmart which was not far away, and one night went to the movies at a nice mall about 20 minutes away.
Everyone had a great time, but we would not have wanted to stay longer.
Also - Disney should get an ice cream palor there. They'd make money!

chrissyk said:
Also, if you want ice cream, be sure to bring it or buy it at the shop in the lobby. There is no ice-cream place at VB!

We were @ VB a couple weeks ago. We stumbled upon a frozen custard stand on HWY 60. We noticed it because of the line wrapped all the way around the building and extending onto a side road. I can't remember the name of it. It is on the right when going West on HWY 60. I had vanilla w/ butterfinger, DH had a banana split, DD had chocolate, DS had vanilla w/ cookie dough. It was very, very yummy and tasted just like ice cream. Only difference I noticed is that it seemed to melt a bit faster.

On the way to the frozen custard place we passed a Carvel shop.

I seem to remember us stopping at a Dairy Queen during one of our previous trips to VB also. I am absolutely horrible with road names so I can't even tell you the name of the road it is on. It is the road the Publix and Super Wal-Mart are on and the same road we take when going to Capt. Hiram's.

It would be much more convenient to have an ice cream shop on site but these are good options if you are up for the drive. And, if you are like me and LOVE ice cream!! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter