Very frustrating

That is not even close to what I said. What I said is that because DVC cant get tickets today....which I said was wrong..is they can book a cash package with tickets and book park reservation today.

Then, when they open up sales for tickets for the DVC reservation, the members will buy tickets, link them, and then cancel the cash package and get the $200 refunded.

So, you wouldn’t do anything with the DVC reservation. This would be a back up so you can get tickets today.

I was simply saying there is nothing to stop a DVC owner to use a work around, instead of waiting the 4 days. Do I think people need to? No. But if someone wants to, they can. Should they have to? Nope.

In terms of the 2020 decision, I still agree with it. But, what happened today, I do not agree it is fair to DVC.

So, again, I shared a way that anyone who might be worried to wait the 4 days to get tickets for 2021, could make it work today.
I was going to buy 4 or 5 day base tickets to use when my sister's family visits in June 2021. Once my renewal period started I was going to use the tickets to renew my Gold AP. But since there's some doubt as to whether I will be able to upgrade regular tickets to an AP, I am using your work around until Disney clarifies whether the old policy still applies. Thanks for the idea 🤞

That is not even close to what I said. What I said is that because DVC cant get tickets today....which I said was wrong..is they can book a cash package with tickets and book park reservation today.

Then, when they open up sales for tickets for the DVC reservation, the members will buy tickets, link them, and then cancel the cash package and get the $200 refunded.

So, you wouldn’t do anything with the DVC reservation. This would be a back up so you can get tickets today.

I was simply saying there is nothing to stop a DVC owner to use a work around, instead of waiting the 4 days. Do I think people need to? No. But if someone wants to, they can. Should they have to? Nope.

In terms of the 2020 decision, I still agree with it. But, what happened today, I do not agree it is fair to DVC.

So, again, I shared a way that anyone who might be worried to wait the 4 days to get tickets for 2021, could make it work today.

The point of contention is that you have to jump through hoops as a DVC member to get a ticket on reservations made, placing your trust in Disney, while everything was shut down. However now that sales have resumed any cash customer can walk right up and handle their business with open arms. Personally, this is my first DVC stay (we closed in April) so it's leaving a bad first impression.

The point of contention is that you have to jump through hoops as a DVC member to get a ticket on reservations made, placing your trust in Disney, while everything was shut down. However now that sales have resumed any cash customer can walk right up and handle their business with open arms. Personally, this is my first DVC stay (we closed in April) so it's leaving a bad first impression.

Given today’s decision, I completely agree with you. Up to this point, it has been the same for cash and DVC.

But, it is disappointing that Disney didn’t do what they had indicated would happen a few days ago and allow DVC to get tickets.

if I was impacted by this for 2021 I would be sending Disney a nasty email...not DVC because they really do not have a say in what parks and resorts does, even if we would like them to...about todays shut out for DVC

Nothing stopped you from buying tickets when you booked at 11 months, so I am confused as to why you keep saying things like you were prevented in doing it.
Our guests changed because of COVID - their son has severe ashtma. They had tickets, Our new guests didn't get the chance because we asked, they accepted and BAM, the rules changed - I thought we'd be able to buy from a reseller but it was too late. Please don't paint us all with one brush. I now have two families with children that are deeply disappointed.

Family 1's 5 year old got up two days ago (we were originally supposed to go July 23rd) and packed his luggage for 'next year so we don't miss it again". I just cried.

Last edited:
Our guests changed because of COVID - their son has severe ashtma. They had tickets, Our new guests didn't get the chance because we asked, they accepted and BAM, the rules changed - I thought we'd be able to buy from a reseller but it was too late. Please don't paint us all with one brush. I now have two families with children that are deeply disappointed.

Family 1's 5 year old got up two days ago (we were originally supposed to go July 23rd) and packed his luggage for 'next year so we don't miss it again". I just cried.
What type of tickets does family 1 have? If they are not APs, but are single use tickets good for the number of days needed for your July trip, would they consider reassigning them to family 2 for what they paid for them?

What type of tickets does family 1 have? If they are not APs, but are single use tiReplyckets good for the number of days needed for your July trip, would they consider reassigning them to family 2 for what they paid for them?

Family 1 (2 adults 3 children) has 8 day tickets for a 10 day trip. Family 2 (2 adults 2 children) wanted a smaller trip and only 3 day tickets. We already downsized the room to the minimum points I would lose (266).

Family 1 is excpecting to go with us next year and we will as long as we can get a reservation (DVC and Park - god, I hate this), we are going.

But THANK YOU so much for trying.

Family 1 (2 adults 3 children) has 8 day tickets for a 10 day trip. Family 2 (2 adults 2 children) wanted a smaller trip and only 3 day tickets. We already downsized the room to the minimum points I would lose (266).

Family 1 is excpecting to go with us next year and we will as long as we can get a reservation (DVC and Park - god, I hate this), we are going.

But THANK YOU so much for trying.
Hope it works out next year for a 10 day trip with no restrictions for your family and family 1.
5 is such a tough age to have this happen. Old enough to know what they are missing, but not old enough to really understand why.
I appreciate your thank you so much for trying comment. You obviously took my post in the spirt it was intended.

ETA: Our grandson is 3 and was excited when we told him we were going to Disney World, but since he doesn't understand the calendar he will hopefully not realize our planned trip is probably also going to be delayed for a year.

Last edited:
BUT NOT 2020 and we are the ones that will lose our points

I know you are frustrated and I am sorry but no need to yell at me. I was responding to someone about 2021.

2020 are not and some of my comments about people having bought are directed at those who said they didn’t buy because they didn’t normally that early and those that did do that should still not get dibs if they are offsite,

I know your situation. New guests. It stinks for anyone in this situation. I shared my views that what Disney did was fair...let existing ticket holder get first choice, regardless of where they stay, because they did invest in tickets,

Obviously, there are people whose new guests came on board after sales shut down on May 28th.

It seems that the only response that won’t be criticized is the one that says, DVC owners who didn’t buy tickets were penalized and that somehow because you own DVC and have points to use, you get priority and are entitled to buy tickets and jump the line ahead of others.

And yes, I too had an August guest without a ticket who never bought and still agree with Disney’s decision.

The response you quoted was in response to a specific poster who quoted me about my friends situation having invested in tickets as being the only reason I think this way.

So, please don’t read my responses to others and assume I am talking to all.

But, there are people who keep saying they didn’t buy early because they never do...and in normal years...that works...but this year, it didn’t.

My response has been that some people, myself included, do buy tickets way early, and for those that do, it is fair they get first shot.

Other than situations where guests were added after sales shut down, if people waited, DVC or not, for whatever reason, it was a choice and sometimes choices turn out not to be the best later on.

Having said that, things are not filling up and I think that bodes well for 2020 sales to resume sooner than later.

No one is saying you should not get first shot. But some of us may get no shot because disney has decided to leave dvc out in the cold? Also the way you do things is not the way we all do it so stop making excuses for Disney!

I am going to say this again, I am not making excuses for Disney. I happen to agree with them for the 2020 decision and park reservation roll out.

And, the way I do things is just as valid as your way of doing things. I said yesterday that I did NOT agree with the way they rolled out 2021...that decision DID leave DVC out in the cold.

The 2020 one did not. Again, if you are not interested in listening to my point of view, then simply ignore me.

But, I do not agree with you that it is Disneys fault that DVC owners who made a choice to not buy tickets, are now stuck waiting for sales to reopen.

They simply decided that a ticket holder has a right to go into the park over someone who doesn’t,

IMO, a DVC owner is not entitled to be prioritized over any other guest when it comes to parks. I know others disagree and that is fine.

ETA: But, you are right, I should not respond any longer because y’all know my thoughts...I’ll read and moderate only in this thread.

Last edited:
We had the same issue that we were waiting until 60 days before to buy our tickets but as soon as they announced you needed tickets and a room reservation we bought them and

You got this information directly from Dvc ? Because I save all my emails from Dvc and don't see anything from them? Some of us don't have time to scan every source of disney information and expect Dvc for information!
First tip, Mike. If you want to quote another's post, just click the Reply button at the bottom of their post. It quotes their message which you can trim or cut to make your point. If you want to quote multiple messages, click the +Quote on every message you want to quote, then click Insert Quotes at the bottom of your response box to get those quotes in the box.
I don’t agree that few are outraged and few are thrilled. You have no way of knowing how people are reacting unless they are here complaining. I’m also one of those angry people who can’t get tickets for our “big” NYE / 21st birthday celebration. As for my immediate family, they are done with Disney. Done with their overpriced rooms, done with their crowds, done trying to get dining reservations, done with all of it. I guess I’m pretty done too. I’m also pretty sure it’ll be very difficult to sell my DVC 😔
If you read the Purchasing DVC board, you'll see quite a few people who are considering buying DVC. If you price it right and it's the number of points and resort someone wants, you'll probably get an offer.
Yeah, that first time DVC burns you makes you angry and you wonder how could they do that to you. But realize, it happens all the time. DVC has your money already and they really don't think that much about the thousands of DVC members out there. They're just trying to hook a bunch of new ones.

Hope it works out next year for a 10 day trip with no restrictions for your family and family 1.
5 is such a tough age to have this happen. Old enough to know what they are missing, but not old enough to really understand why.
I appreciate your thank you so much for trying comment. You obviously took my post in the spirt it was intended.

ETA: Our grandson is 3 and was excited when we told him we were going to Disney World, but since he doesn't understand the calendar he will hopefully not realize our planned trip is probably also going to be delayed for a year.

We made calendars with the children It was an all day activity - 2 large poster boards each- the 'good' stickers from the scrap book collections. They (9, 8, & 5) were counting down the days since January.

COVID has also stolen visiting my first grandchil from me. Born 6 weeks ago - I've yet to meet him. He lives 2500 miles away in a hot spot state. If it were safe for him, I'd go in a nanosecond.

I need the trip with Family 2 - so hoping the tickets go on sale but I heard fairly high up that they may not open at all because of COVID.

Except the DDP does not exist right now, which is exactly my point. The only current "package" is a room + tickets.

That's still a package. I've bought plenty of packages that don't include a dining plan. I have no interest in a dining plan.

Thanks for the information Deb & Bill and that is a very good point about them already having our money and don't care. Just looking for new fish to hook! Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter