VERY OLD Mickeys, does anyone know much about them???

mickey'sbud

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me anything about this very old Mickey.

He was purchased anywhere from 1927-1937. He has the "cut" eyes (I'm not sure of what to call them). His head and ears are black circling his white face. He has a black stitched mouth and a black nose. His body is black. His hands are red. His feet are red with black soles. His pants are tan, red, white, and black plaid, with a matching tie around his neck. He has 2 white buttons on the front of his pants. He should have 2 white buttons on the back of his pants as well, but one is missing. He has no tail...and never did.

I have never seen a Mickey just like this one before. It is store bought. I have seen ones like his body, but the clothes were different.

Does anyone know anything about this Mickey? Where can I get information on him?

Can you tell me the exact length of the doll? Also, is there any evidence of "whiskers" around the nose? Are his shoes cloth? Is there any remnant of a cloth tag that may have been sewn on by the manufacturer?

Length - 14 inches head to bottom of feet
16 inches with ears included

red cloth shoes with black cloth bottoms

black cloth of body, head, nose, eyes, ears, legs, and bottom of shoes is a silky, smooth cloth

No whiskers, however, a black sewn line across the white part of the nose. The black nose is a separate sewn extended piece and stuffed, attached to the face.

The sewn mouth is shaped similiar to this (-----------)

No cloth tag from a manufacturer.

I don't know very much about early Disney dolls. However, I've looked through a lot of Disneyana reference books and I don't find the plaid pants and tie anywhere! Is the tie like a boyscout kerchief?

I would suspect that the doll has clothes that are home made. So then the next step is to identify the doll...

Most of the early Mickey dolls had a "rat look" to them. Could you possibly send a scan?

By the way, the eyes that your doll has identifies this as a "pie-eyed Mickey," and that style was used in the early years by Charlotte Clark, Steiff, Knickerbocker and Deans Rag Dolls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter