VERY SPECIFIC QUESTION to “frequent” Disney Cruisers.

In the last 9 years, in addition to 9 DCL cruises:

NYC 5 times (long weekends each time)
Cabo San Lucas - 1 week
Paris/Versailles - 1 week
Costa Rica - 1 week
St. Kitt's & Nevis - 1 week
Turks & Caicos - 1 week
L.A. & Anaheim - long weekend
Spain - Barcelona/Montserrat/Figueres/Cadaques/Portillgat - 1 week
Charleston/Savannah/St. Augustine road trip - 1 week
London/Southampton Princess Cruise to Bruges, Copenhagen, Oslo - 1.5 weeks
London - 1 week
Italy - Rome & Florence - 1.5 weeks
New Orleans - long weekend
Netherlands - Amsterdam and day trips - 1 week
Italy, France, Monte Carlo - Milan, Cap Ferrat (Nice), Florence, etc. - 1.5 weeks
London & Edinburgh - 1.5 weeks
Plus numerous trips to North Carolina to visit relatives and our house near Highlands

Last edited:
Yellowstone National Park
Yosemite National Park
Disney World
North Carolina
Virginia
Baltimore/Washington DC
Seattle
Hawaii
London

In addition to 8 DCL cruises since 2015:
-Road trips to oregon coast and Northern and southern california
-all inclusives to mexico including Cabo (twice), Cancun and Puerto Vallarta (twice)
-Hawaii twice (both Maui and Oahu)

In addition to 9 cruises since 2010 with WBPC coming up in March, we have also vacationed:
Disneyland
Walt Disney World
Ixtapa, Mexico - we go every other year
Kauai, HI with one night at Aulani on Oahu
London, England
Paris, France with a day at DLP
Madrid and Barcelona, Spain
Copenhagen, Denmark
Vastervik, Sweden
Napa, CA
Phoenix, AZ
Mobile, AL
Traverse City/Mackinac Island, MI
Vancouver, Canada
All one week or more trips.

Last edited:

We've done 15 DCL cruises. In the past 5 years (ie, since I retired) we have also done 9 ABD trips, at least 10 7-night or longer cruises on other lines, several road trips in the US, 5 visits to Aulani. All of these at least a week or longer.

We have only cruised on DCL (8 times with an upcoming WBPC) but we have travelled all over the world. Cruising isn’t our favourite form of travel. Our favourite mode of travel is an RV! Between RVs and cruises, we have visited the following 39 countries, with extensive travel throughout Canada and the United States as well.

England
Belgium
France
Italy
Spain
Portugal
Germany
Netherlands
Switzerland
Denmark
Sweden
Andorra
Luxembourg
The Netherlands
Georgia
Poland
Montenegro
Turkey
Austria
Monte Carlo
Ukraine
San Marino
Vatican City
US
Mexico
Saint Martins
Virgin Islands
Barbados
Bahamas
Antigua
Cayman Islands
Costa Rica
Aruba
Bonaire
Morocco
Afghanistan
United Arab Emirates
Jordan
Lebanon

As young people would say about all this, “First-World problems.” :) My nieces love to tease me with my words from their first trip to WDW, “There are people who save for years for their only trip to Disney.”

You have selected such a small pool to poll. I imagine most of us are Platinum Castaway members. Which isn’t totally surprising that we are also travel junkies. If we could have included 4-6 day trips, who knows how much longer our lists would be.

Yeah that you found something you like. And can afford. Not everyone was meant to be globetrotters. I know my sister doesn’t do as well when she can’t speak the language on vacation. And when she went to Paris on a one-day port, the trains went on strike. Fortunately, her daughter was there visiting a friend and secured them transportation back to England to meet the ship and gather her suitcases for disembarkation day.

Sure, people tell us that travel is to see the world. But it can just be for fun.

And your brother may be right - you may be too loyal ;). As long as you are enjoying yourself, good on ya, mate.

Since 2011, 12 Disney Cruises including three 14 nights

Since I started cruising DCL in 2011:
10 days in Hawaii
11 day Alaska cruise on Celebrity
7 night HAL to Canada
7 night Med cruise on Norwegian
a few Carnival cruises to the med and Latin America
One week all inclusive in Dominican Republic
San Juan, PR
Multiple Orlando (my hometown) Disney World and Universal trips as annual passholders
Disneyland and southern California
Seattle and Portland and Vancouver
San Diego
San Francisco
Salt Lake City
Montreal
New York City
Cleveland
Nashville
Washington DC/Baltimore
Southern Tier of NY State/wine country
West Virginia
Chicago
NC Outer Banks
Sanibel Island, FL

I tend to do one or more DCL cruises a year (this year I did 4) and then one other major family trip (this year Hawaii, next year Greece) and then several 3 day getaways, usually to metropolitan/US cities. But next year I have vowed to spend more time at home and be more frugal. But I just found out that starting next year I am eligible for a one month paid sabbatical at work (I thought I had to wait 5 more years) so now all I can think about is a month in Australia and New Zealand....We'll see...

Looking at this list, I am truly blessed. I remember when I met my husband on our first date we both talked about how much we love to travel. Twenty years and two kids later, I have to remind him of this frequently when he sees I have planned another trip or cruise. "You knew what you were getting into" I say...

We started cruising DCL in December of 2015. We have done Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, Southern Caribbean, Mediterranean (all 7 day), and WBTA (10 day).
We have also in the past 9 years:
traveled to Montana for at least a week every summer (up until last year) to visit my parents
traveled several times to Nebraska to visit my ex-in-laws
traveled to Washington several times to visit (because that is where I grew up)
done a road trip to and through New Mexico
WDW 9 times
Universal Studios Orlando 4 times
Legoland
Visited many National Parks:
Arches
Carlsbad Caverns
Glacier
Grand Tetons
Great Basin
Mesa Verde
Mt. Rainier
Mt. Rushmore
Olympic
Redwood
Wind Cave
Yellowstone (4 times)
Yosemite

Now for MY question my definition of “Frequent “ cruiser is can you answer this question with a YES.

“We have done 5 or more, SEVEN or more night, Disney Cruises in the past 9 years?”
THAT’S NOT THE SURVEY QUESTION. A YES TO THAT QUESTION ALLOWS YOU TO ANSWER MY SURVEY QUESTION!

So, If you answered yes to that question-

Where ELSE have you traveled for “vacations” during the past 9 years? (NOT ON DCL). For the sake of length of responses only list 6 night+ trips.

The reason for my question was a family member questioning our loyalty to Disney vacations.
🤭
I don’t meet your criteria, but just popping in to say that I don’t think you should have to justify your vacation choices to anyone.

Italy (Venice/Florence)
Hawaii (Oahu)
Paris
Munich/Salzburg
Badlands/Mount Rushmore
San Diego
Oregon
Washington, DC
WDW and/or Universal

Also Barcelona, but that was directly before a Disney cruise so maybe doesn't count.

My brother said why don’t you go see the real Eiffel Tower instead of going to Disney.

Why doesn't he decide where he wants to go on vacation while you decide where you want to go. I don't get the cottage-every-weekend-in-the-summer thing that lots of people I know do and I don't get the camping thing that lots of my co-workers love. But I get that it's their thing and they love it. I'd never question it. While we go to lots of different places, we happen to like travelling with DCL, going to WDW and other Disney properties. That's our decision, our money, our time, our pleasure, our style, our preference. Fortunately, none of my family members have ever questioned our choices or suggested that we should go elsewhere or I'd tell them to mind their own business. They get that we like what we like.

Since I retired mid-year 2014, 16 Disney cruises, including Alaska, Med, Eastern Carib, Western Carib (3 times), Panama Canal (2 times), Transatlantic (3 times) and 2 b2b 4- and 5-night Bahamas cruises on the Magic that extended the cruising out to 9 or 10 nights total. We also visit WDW or other DVC resorts two or three times per year, so we are definitely Disney fans. However, we have also done two Viking river cruises, trips to North Carolina, Philadelphia, California, and multiple trips to the Florida gulf coast, and some long weekend getaways nearer to home. Next year, we have another b2b on the Magic in January, the Vancouver to Hawaii cruise in May, and the 12-night Med-Greek Islands Rome to Barcelona cruise in July. We will add 8 nights visiting Vancouver (3) and Hawaii (5) before and after the Hawaii cruise and 4 nights each visiting Rome and Barcelona before and after the Med-Greek Islands cruise.

Now for MY question my definition of “Frequent “ cruiser is can you answer this question with a YES.

“We have done 5 or more, SEVEN or more night, Disney Cruises in the past 9 years?”
THAT’S NOT THE SURVEY QUESTION. A YES TO THAT QUESTION ALLOWS YOU TO ANSWER MY SURVEY QUESTION!

So, If you answered yes to that question-

Where ELSE have you traveled for “vacations” during the past 9 years? (NOT ON DCL). For the sake of length of responses only list 6 night+ trips.

The reason for my question was a family member questioning our loyalty to Disney vacations.
🤭
Yes.

Just back from a great cruise on the Magic...I never justify HOW (or why) I travel to anyone and I don't judge others for their choices either. There are some people who may be jealous, some people who just don't like to travel, and some who just don't like Disney/cruises/parks. That's okay. We are fortunate to be able to travel a lot and Disney is only one part of our travels. We cruise (and enjoy) other lines, love the parks (don't get to them enough), and really love our land vacations. We're able to take long weekends/staycations in between our big travels and I'm looking forward to the day when I can travel for months at a time!

Jan - May 2010: lived and traveled in India *** Sept 2010: 3 week Mid-West road trip (Yellowstone/Grand Tetons) *** Nov 2010: 2 week B2B Princess Cruise - Southern Caribbean *** Dec 2010: 1 week Toronto
Jan 2011: 2 weeks Dubai/India *** June 2011: 1 week Chicago *** Sept 2011: 1 week Disney & Universal Parks
Jan 2012: 3 weeks India *** Mar 2012: 1 week Gatlinburg, TN *** May 2012: 1 week Toronto *** (June 2012 1 week Disney Magic NYC-Bahamas) *** Dec 2012: 2 weeks Side by Side NCL Epic & Carnival Breeze cruises (Eastern Carib) *** Dec 2012: 1 week Toronto
June 2013: 1 week Boone, NC *** June 2013: 1 week NCL Breakaway Bermuda cruise *** Oct 2013: 3 weeks India *** (Dec 2013 10 days Disney World and Disney Fantasy cruise)
Apr 2014: 1 week Cape May, NJ *** Dec 2014-Jan 2015 3 weeks India
(Feb 2015 10 days Disney World and Disney Fantasy cruise) *** Apr 2015: 1 week Toronto *** Aug 2015: 1 week NCL Getaway Eastern Carib cruise *** Sept 2015: 1 week RC Oasis of the Seas Western Carib cruise *** Dec 2015-Jan 2016 10 days Bogota, Colombia
Feb 2016: 1 week Disneyland (CA) *** Mar 2016: 3 weeks India *** July 2016: 3 weeks Baltic/Russia cruise on RC/pre-post cruise Stockholm & Copenhagen *** (Nov 2016 1 week Disney Magic cruise NYC - San Juan)
Feb 2017: 1 week RC Allure of the Seas Western Carib cruise *** Apr 2017: 2 1/2 weeks China/Shanghai Disney *** Aug 2017: 1 week Sweet Escape Orlando, FL *** (Aug 2017 Disney Fantasy DVC Eastern Carib cruise) *** (Nov 2017 1 week Disney World and Disney Dream Bahamas cruise)
March-Apr 2018 2 1/2 weeks India *** June-July 2018 - 3 weeks Doha, Tanzania (safari), Zanzibar *** Aug 2018 11 days Seattle and NCL Bliss Alaska cruise *** Nov 2018: 1 week RC Harmony of the Seas Western Carib cruise
Apr 2019: 2 1/2 weeks Japan/Tokyo Disney *** Aug 2019: 3 weeks Australia *** (Nov 2019 1 week Disney Magic cruise and San Juan) *** Nov 2019 Boone, NC *** Dec 2019: 1 1/2 weeks India
(Upcoming: 1 week Sedona/Grand Canyon, 2 weeks Galapagos/Ecuador, 2 1/2 weeks India, 2 1/2 weeks Antarctica/Argentina)

We have trips we do every year including a Disney Cruise of not less than 7 days plus special trips.
Annual 10 day trip to Colorado ranch for me and my daughter
10 days in hawAii every May with family
14 days at DW every March with family
I week in Puerto Valletta every November with family and friends
5 days at Vero beach every year for spring baseball for my husband
2017 2 week cruise on Crystal cruises from Bali to Singapore with my husband
2018. 10 day Christmas market cruise on Danube on AmawAterways for me and a daughter
2018. Second Disney Cruise on transatlantic in sept with 5 days in England and Scotland before (we had already done a cruise in July in the Caribbean)
2018. 4 days in gatlinburg with girlfriends
2018. 8 days at DW after thanksgiving for husband and another daughter while I’m on Christmas market cruise
2019. 4 days in Branson with girlfriends
2019. 4 days in Arizona with HS friends
2019 3 days in NYC plus 5 night cruise on Turner Classic movie cruise with husband
2020. All the annual trips plus husband and I are going to Africa for 3 weeks in March and another 6 day TCM Cruise in October
Plus over the years we have been to Vietnam and Cambodia, India, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, Jordan, China and all over Europe.
trust me I know how lucky we are!

YES.

WDW (multiple trips)
Disneyland (twice)
San Diego
San Francisco
Denver
Utah (ski trip)
New York (multiple times)
Mexico
San Antonio (multiple times)
Paris (we did venture over to DL Paris for one afternoon :) )
London
Washington, DC
Kids go to 3 weeks of summer camp
Vegas
Other ski trips
Kid went on school trip to Spain
Maybe missing some

Coming up in the next year, we have another Disney Cruise, a WDW trip, and a Europe trip planned.

We have been loyal to Disney and Disney Cruise because that has been a vacation where both the kids and the adults feel like they've had a vacation (we aren't commando parks people--we treat the resort as our cruise ship and the parks as the shore excursion). My youngest is just now mature enough to handle a more "adult" trip in a way that will not make it miserable for the adults, so we are headed to Europe soon.

Yes - in the past 9 years we have taken 9 DCL cruises 7 nights or more.

We have also taken 6+ night vacations to: Disney/Florida (10 times), Maine/Acadia (2 times), Colorado/Rocky Mt. National Park (one time). We also have been to Florida, DC and NYC multiple times, but for long weekends or no more than 5 days. We saw 4 of the last 5 shuttle launches, so we were in Cape Canaveral for a few days each time they were attempting a launch (and they didn't all go up the first trip)!

Grand Canyon
Tucson & Scottsdale Arizona
Nashville, TN
Naples, FL
Venice, FL
Camping in New England

We too have a family that doesn't understand our Disney obsession. I hear all the time, you're going on a Disney cruise again (or your going to Disney again)...YUP!

Absolutely! After 12 DCL cruises (6 of them 7+ nights), we’ve also vacationed to these places for at least a week each time:

Hawaii (multiple times)
Fairbanks, Alaska 2019, 2017
Vancouver 2018
Ontario 2015
Edmonton 2016
Washington DC 2016
London 2017
Paris 2017
Disneyland (multiple times)
WDW (multiple times)
Japan (multiple times)
Philippines (multiple times)
Las Vegas (multiple times)

Our DCL vacays are our fave though. Less planning and very very relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter