Very Upset by WL Pool Closing

I think one of the above posts gave the reason. They don't want a resort half empty because guests moved to another Disney resort or off property. Disney never has a time period where one of their resorts can just be shut down for a number of weeks for maintenance. It's the hazard of never having a time period where no one goes to WDW during a specific month.
I guess I'm more upset about the poor slob paying cash who only goes once every five years. So as I said before the message is screw you, sorry bout that. And actually it's not a hazard for Disney at all. And why can't they have the hotel at 50% for a few weeks. Why can't THEY be the ones who take the hit? Every six years or so?

It's not the planning that's the issue, it's the lack of communication. Why do they wait until 3 weeks prior? When I'm willing to bet it was planned way before. I disagree, About it being a part of timeshare ownership. Dh and I have owned villas in Aruba and Lisbon Portugal. Disney is the only one we experienced the total disregard for their members. But you are absolutely right, like I said in my first post, I would love to own at the Poly, but stuff like this is preventing me from playing. Just saddens me

Yes, you tun the risk of losing guest for a brief time, so the underlying message is, as long as I make my dough who cares how inconvenience you are. Lol

I went to Paris last spring, the Ritz Carlton shut down the entire hotel during maintenance. Ahhh the joys of a true deluxe. Lol
We'll simply have to disagree on the realities, what they should or shouldn't do is a different discussion. Some resorts do a better job than others but rarely are schedules planned far enough out and set to allow one to plan 11 months out, 7 months out is pushing it. As noted, this is not the villas at all, it's the main pool as I understand it. I would agree (and have said so many times) that DVC doesn't do as well as others in the resort oriented customer service. It seems to get even worse when DVC relies on the resort to take care of such issues such as the two AKV fiasco's.

We'll simply have to disagree on the realities, what they should or shouldn't do is a different discussion. Some resorts do a better job than others but rarely are schedules planned far enough out and set to allow one to plan 11 months out, 7 months out is pushing it. As noted, this is not the villas at all, it's the main pool as I understand it. I would agree (and have said so many times) that DVC doesn't do as well as others in the resort oriented customer service. It seems to get even worse when DVC relies on the resort to take care of such issues such as the two AKV fiasco's.

What were the two AKV fiasco's?

What were the two AKV fiasco's?
I'm sure someone has a better recollection of the specifics than do I but IIRC it was when they were rehabbing the concierge and I forget the other and they had to move people. They did so fairly late and mostly had to move people to SSR due to lack of availability. DVC left it up to the resort who handled it poorly and last minute when they could/should have done so much earlier. IMO a much larger issue than a semi predictable pool closing. There was also the no animals on the Savannah situation, which they handled a little better. One of the issues I have with DVC is they are very inconsistent. In those events they gave some a lot of compensation, some more than reasonable, and others non at all. Anytime one decides to go somewhat off season there is a known and predictable risk of something along these lines.

I guess I'm more upset about the poor slob paying cash who only goes once every five years. So as I said before the message is screw you, sorry bout that. And actually it's not a hazard for Disney at all. And why can't they have the hotel at 50% for a few weeks. Why can't THEY be the ones who take the hit? Every six years or so?

Let's be fair, though, in this case, it is about a 3 month notice, not 3 weeks, enough in the cash paying world to switch resorts if it is going to be a major issue for someone.

But, I think you'd get the same level of frustration if they announced 6 or 7 months in advance, people plan around it, and then things get delayed or changed and it doesn't happen when they originally projected?

For me, you go to a resort as large as WDW and you have to expect that things could always be down for refurbishment...it will always impact someone.

One positive, though. At least you won't have a bunch of Fort Wilderness guests coming over to WL to swim while you are there. They tend to come in droves to use the themed pool at WL.

While I agree that some refurbishments should be expected, I probably disagree with those who view this is a minor matter. Quite frankly, the "we apologize for any inconvenience" buried at the end of the email I received was hollow. An apology should have come from DVC itself. The pool area at the WL is heavily touted in Disney advertising and I am certain was a factor in the WL regaining its 4 diamond AAA status this year. The 4 diamond requirements for a pool are as follows: "Pool area reflects the use of upscale building materials and design, with a variety of pool furniture; Hot tub or whirlpool spa, steam room, or sauna; Food and beverage service is available poolside." I hardly think the small pool qualifies. It'd be nice to see AAA remove the rating the WL just got back after previously losing it but that's not likely to happen.

Sandisw said:
Let's be fair, though, in this case, it is about a 3 month notice, not 3 weeks, enough in the cash paying world to switch resorts if it is going to be a major issue for someone.

But, I think you'd get the same level of frustration if they announced 6 or 7 months in advance, people plan around it, and then things get delayed or changed and it doesn't happen when they originally projected?

For me, you go to a resort as large as WDW and you have to expect that things could always be down for refurbishment...it will always impact someone.

Fair enough, I totally admit to expecting a bit more. I expect the amenities I pay for. My home resort is bcv. O brought there for the pool. They tout the resort for the pool. When I go I want it working. No excuses

Fair enough, I totally admit to expecting a bit more. I expect the amenities I pay for. My home resort is bcv. O brought there for the pool. They tout the resort for the pool. When I go I want it working. No excuses

One time I was staying at BWV and the main pool's filter broke mid-week. It was closed for the rest of the week and they golf carted people over to YC/BC to use Stormalong Bay if they wished. Stuff happens. I can understand being disappointed but maintenance work needs done sometime.

I sympathize. It's disappointing that the main feature pool will not be available during your stay.

Since that will not change, I hope you have been able to move on and think about how to alter your plans to make the best of it, especially if you cannot move your stay to another resort.

As you probably know, you will be able to use other resorts' pools. Inconvenient, perhaps, but also a chance to experience the amenities of other resorts with an eye towards a future stay. And of course, the Villa leisure pool will be available.

What you may not know is that if you ask, the resort will give each member of your party one day's admission to one of the water parks. That could turn out to be an enjoyable experience.

Maybe this is the trip you spend more time on non-resort activities, such as mini-golf, Richard Petty, special meals, visiting Downtown Disney (Splitsville, House of Blues, Cirque du Soleil, etc.).

Again, sorry about the pool. I know you can still have fun!

Kind of agree with you. I feel the responsible and ethical thing to do would be to announce their maintenance schedule for all resorts as soon as Disney knows it. It would not be that difficult to do. It would allow people spending huge money on their Disney vacation to make a decision based on all the information available. It seems to me a bit unethical. When a person books any hotel/resort they look at the facilities and amenities along with other factors and make a decision. When something is then taken a way like a pool, it changed the picture. For them to withhold the information to a point where they know it would be difficult for one to adjust, just doesn't feel right to say the least.

DebbieB said:
One time I was staying at BWV and the main pool's filter broke mid-week. It was closed for the rest of the week and they golf carted people over to YC/BC to use Stormalong Bay if they wished. Stuff happens. I can understand being disappointed but maintenance work needs done sometime.

Which I totally get but what's the problem with simply telling guest when they book.
I went to Vegas a few years back, stayed at the Monte Carlo, they were doing renovations. The nano second I have the dates, the agent on the phone said her speal
It went,
"We just like to inform you that we are renovating the hotel and your views if the strip maybe impeded by scaffolding".

That of course gave me the opportunity to make changes (decent ones) if I do desire.

Lol, I forgot, other hotels emphasis customer satisfaction, I can't expect that with DVC.

And Debbie, seriously have you ever been to Vegas and had some thing go wrong? Lol you get "comped" until the cows come home.
Forget Vegas, stay outside the park at that Orlando waldorf. The handle on our bathroom faucet got stuck and wouldn't turn on. They moved us to a suite & gave us a gc to the in house restaurant.

Ok I get it, it's Disney and whatever they do we have to accept for the privilege of staying on-site. No worries..

Dean, mentioned "reality" a few post back and one thing I have to keep reminding myself is that in reality Disney is a great entertainment company. The know how to definitely decorate and entertain. They are an abysmal hotel management company. There offerings are "pretty" and they are truthful in that you are close to what they do well which is "entertain". they've got a way to go in the follow through and customer service department that separates truly deluxe offerings.

like I said, have I enjoyed my vacations courtesy dvc? without a doubt? would I purchase today or would I add on? No way. as much as I'm dying to try the Poly,

Which I totally get but what's the problem with simply telling guest when they book.

I completely agree with this. In January we arrived at Vero Beach to find the main pool closed for refurbishment and we had received no prior notice. As it happens, the weather wasn't great and so it made no difference to our stay. However, the previous January it had been beautiful weather during our Vero visit and had I known in advance, I might have cancelled this year - it was a cash stay by the way.

What I really couldn't get my head around was that when I had a stay booked at BWV a year or so earlier, I received a letter through the mail telling me that the bakery would be closed but other arrangements would be made for a temporary outlet along the Boardwalk!

Inconsistent or what?

I completely agree with this. In January we arrived at Vero Beach to find the main pool closed for refurbishment and we had received no prior notice. As it happens, the weather wasn't great and so it made no difference to our stay. However, the previous January it had been beautiful weather during our Vero visit and had I known in advance, I might have cancelled this year - it was a cash stay by the way.

What I really couldn't get my head around was that when I had a stay booked at BWV a year or so earlier, I received a letter through the mail telling me that the bakery would be closed but other arrangements would be made for a temporary outlet along the Boardwalk!

Inconsistent or what?

They started sending letters out after it was announced. I saw a copy posted over on the resorts board.

when you book, it clearly states what is closed. just last week i was booking a room for the week before Thanksgiving and it clearly states the VWL pool is closed and the Poly has work being done. This is one of the main reasons I sold my DVC. I can't book 11 months out, lucky if i can plan 5 months!! and now I have options, I tried to rent points to stay at a DVC resort and couldn't even get a studio at SSR. But could book rooms anywhere.

What I don't understand is why they didn't schedule this maintenance during a cold weather month? January, February? October is BRUTAL. Unless, of course, this is an emergency situation (although, doesn't appear to be if they're waiting until September). Seems to me, this is poor planning on Disney's part.

What I don't understand is why they didn't schedule this maintenance during a cold weather month? January, February? October is BRUTAL. Unless, of course, this is an emergency situation (although, doesn't appear to be if they're waiting until September). Seems to me, this is poor planning on Disney's part.
You could ask them. My guess is it's in the realm of availability of the work force and the fact that it's still relatively off season. Since it's a heated pool, there's never a perfect time. But the fact is they didn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter