VGF First Impressions... Rough View...

tidefan

DIS Veteran
So, we checked in this morning at 10:30am. Room not ready, that is OK. Head to DHS and get text about 1:00. Room is ready, it is 1221. Get back to VGF at 9pm to go to the room.

So, the room is beautiful, then we look on the patio... And... We are looking straight into the back wall of the Porte Cochere...

We are going to see if they can move us tomorrow... ;-(

VGF villa #1221 is a Standard View villa, and one of the drawbacks whenever you book a Standard View villa -- whether it be at VGF, AKV, BLT, or Aulani -- is that you can end up with a less than special view. But think of the points you are saving by booking Standard View rather than Lake View.

VGF villa #1221 is a Standard View villa, and one of the drawbacks whenever you book a Standard View villa -- whether it be at VGF, AKV, BLT, or Aulani -- is that you can end up with a less than special view. But think of the points you are saving by booking Standard View rather than Lake View.

Suppose it's like the dumpster view at VWL... :-)

Also, these can change. I remember that at Aulani, it used to be called "Island" view, but after a number of complaints about 1st and 2nd floor rooms on the island side of the Waianae Tower facing the spa, they renamed it "Island/Garden" view...

Also, these can change. I remember that at Aulani, it used to be called "Island" view, but after a number of complaints about 1st and 2nd floor rooms on the island side of the Waianae Tower facing the spa, they renamed it "Island/Garden" view...

Yes, things can change, such as at BLT (some Theme Park views were reclassified as Standard View) and at AKV-Jambo (some Savanna Views were reclassified as Standard Views). But since its inception, Aulani has always used the term "Island Garden View" as one of its four view classifications.

Yes, things can change, such as at BLT (some Theme Park views were reclassified as Standard View) and at AKV-Jambo (some Savanna Views were reclassified as Standard Views). But since its inception, Aulani has always used the term "Island Garden View" as one of its four view classifications.

Oh, I agree that to avoid this, we'll probably book Lake View in the future. Just seems an odd place to stick a room...

So, we checked in this morning at 10:30am. Room not ready, that is OK. Head to DHS and get text about 1:00. Room is ready, it is 1221. Get back to VGF at 9pm to go to the room.

So, the room is beautiful, then we look on the patio... And... We are looking straight into the back wall of the Porte Cochere...

We are going to see if they can move us tomorrow... ;-(

You got me thinking.

After all my trips to Disney and having the following views:

SSR - Trees, no view at all
SSR - Pool view
SSR - parking lot view
Beach Club - Trees, awful, trees growing into your balcony
BCV - Pool view
Poly - Best view ever of Magic Kingdom
Contemporary - Side view of tennis court
Port Orleans - Gardens
Pop - View of another building
Animation - Parking Lot
BWV - View of Swan/Dolphin
AKL - Savanna, best view category
YC - Another great view of Boardwalk

and on and on and on, I'm actually surprised I remember all these.

Bottom line - VIEW IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US, it really makes a difference in
how I feel when in the room.

That's just me, I understand that is not for everyone. I always pay for the view!!!

RayJay

Suppose it's like the dumpster view at VWL... :-)

I would think that the dumpster view would be worse and often noisy.

You got me thinking.

After all my trips to Disney and having the following views:

SSR - Trees, no view at all
SSR - Pool view
SSR - parking lot view
Beach Club - Trees, awful, trees growing into your balcony
BCV - Pool view
Poly - Best view ever of Magic Kingdom
Contemporary - Side view of tennis court
Port Orleans - Gardens
Pop - View of another building
Animation - Parking Lot
BWV - View of Swan/Dolphin
AKL - Savanna, best view category
YC - Another great view of Boardwalk

and on and on and on, I'm actually surprised I remember all these.

Bottom line - VIEW IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US, it really makes a difference in
how I feel when in the room.

That's just me, I understand that is not for everyone. I always pay for the view!!!

RayJay

DH and I so agree with your bottom line comment. One of the things we like about a DVC villa is the balcony and sitting there enjoying the view. So we too have switched to paying for the more expensive rooms.

Room is ready, it is 1221.

If you take any photos of your view from villa #1221, could you please post them on the VGF Map and View thread? I'm trying to collect photos from all the villas at VGF.

Thanks!

I would think that the dumpster view would be worse and often noisy.

DH and I so agree with your bottom line comment. One of the things we like about a DVC villa is the balcony and sitting there enjoying the view. So we too have switched to paying for the more expensive rooms.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who's looking for a good view. The only thing I've noticed, and can't figure out how to get around is the fact that sometimes one person's favorite view is another person's hated view, and vice versa. For example, I hate facing the Epcot "ball" because for me that road is so annoying. Also, I love just trees-I'm a birder who loved it when, every morning, a hawk would be perched to wake me up. However, I haven't met a lover of the dumpster view!

We are in 1321... Checked in today and room was ready at 11:00AM, small miracle!!! However, upon entering the Studio Lock off we realized it really wasn't ready:(. I decided to take a look out the patio and noticed the beautiful red shingle view we have. We booked standard so we didn't request a change, if we don't have it some other member will. On another note, I have to say the previous guest were very neat and nice. They had already removed all the garbage and left a generous $10 tip.

I would never book standard or value and expect good views, that is what the rooms with the higher points are for.

If you want a better view, best book it or pay to move.

I don't know, I've really liked some of the standard view rooms we've had. We stayed in YC Concierge level, and because we were so high up, in the distance we could see some of the MK fireworks. It's not as good as an actual waterview with the Boardwalk in the background but beats the heck out of the waterview view of the quiet pool.

Our standard view in Kidani overlooked the pool and one edge of the savannah. It meant the room was not too far to the pool/lobby, but we could sit on our balcony and listen to a CM discuss the animals on the savannah as well as see them.

I also could have sworn our stay at the GF we had outer building standard view we nicknamed "wildlife view", as we saw lots of interesting birds in the little finger of Seven Seas Lagoon we overlooked, as well as deer.

I don't know, I've really liked some of the standard view rooms we've had. We stayed in YC Concierge level, and because we were so high up, in the distance we could see some of the MK fireworks. It's not as good as an actual waterview with the Boardwalk in the background but beats the heck out of the waterview view of the quiet pool.

Our standard view in Kidani overlooked the pool and one edge of the savannah. It meant the room was not too far to the pool/lobby, but we could sit on our balcony and listen to a CM discuss the animals on the savannah as well as see them.

I also could have sworn our stay at the GF we had outer building standard view we nicknamed "wildlife view", as we saw lots of interesting birds in the little finger of Seven Seas Lagoon we overlooked, as well as deer.

Certainly a standard view can sometimes surprise you with a nice view. However that is not the norm, or the points would be higher.

The OP's title leads one to believe (before reading the comments) that this is a shortcoming of the resort.

I see it as getting what one pays for.

Certainly a standard view can sometimes surprise you with a nice view. However that is not the norm, or the points would be higher. The OP's title leads one to believe (before reading the comments) that this is a shortcoming of the resort. I see it as getting what one pays for.

Agreed

So far so good with our first trip to VGF. As we all know the the Grand is a beautiful resort to begin with and I find the Villas do not disappoint. I was concerned DVC would be an unwanted step child at the resort, however, the DVC property fits right in. I. also find there are some advantages as well; our on portico, check-in area and our location relative to the Spa and feature pool. We are in a studio and we really like the layout. The resort is well staffed and service is high level. There is a bit of damage to our door to the lock-off and some of the furniture shows a little abuse for only being open a few months, but really minor overall. The separate bath / shower is a real plus. Off to a great stay following 4 nights at the Swan.

Certainly a standard view can sometimes surprise you with a nice view. However that is not the norm, or the points would be higher.

The OP's title leads one to believe (before reading the comments) that this is a shortcoming of the resort.

I see it as getting what one pays for.

In a way, I believe it is a shortcoming. I can't imagine that anyone will "want" to be assigned this room. However, I do relate it to "the dumpster" at VWL or Carousel at SSR in that I think that you will see many posts from people suggesting that it is a less than desirable location.

I get the whole Standard View thing, it's just that every other Standard View unit will have a much superior view than this one...

However, I do agree with previous posters that the sure way to avoid this room is to just book a Lake View... :-)

View straight ahead:
3200766c4da8c9d6f94717fb2c9256e3.jpg

View to left:
61193cb988fd7f0a9fcc5699f2f308b1.jpg

View to right:
a06637f072a8d724294dc632413b6838.jpg

With sliding door closed:
548b37794ea9e592b512b28fb5344d56.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter