• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VGF or BCV

jvalic33

Mouseketeer
I have a current resssie at BCV but couldn't get all 5 nights there. It turns out there is availability at VGF for my 5 nights.

I'm thinking that since I'm not an owner of VGF this might be one of the only times I get to stay there, but this was my first time using my BCV points and I know the kids will love the pool, I have four pretty young ones, and I'm stumped.

Any input would be appreciated. This will be our fourth trip so we don't care about convenience or not to parks, it's more about the new experience of the resort. Our other home resorts are BWV and AKL. Our first stay was at Poly, second at AKL and our third which is coming up in October will be BWV.

If I do change to VGF, I probably won't get to stay at BCV for another 2 years or so until I have enough points there again to book the 11 month out window.

Personally, I'd switch to VGF to get all 5 of your nights. If you have little ones, there's the new Mad Hatter water play area at the Grand Floridian that they would probably enjoy. I agree with thinking VGF will be harder to get as time goes by--that's why we're staying there in Feb to try it out.

BCV: We stayed at BCV for the first time this past April. Your little ones would like the sandy shallow water play area, but the small lazy river area is 8 ft. deep and the entrance to the water slide is outside the gates of the main area and across the sidewalk. Storm Along Bay is only open at certain times (when it's staffed by lifeguards) vs. the BCV leisure pool that is open longer. We spent far more time in the BCV pool.

Funny...I own at VGF yet BCV is my next "target"...

Anyway, With VGF less than 20% sold and 75% declared, now is the easiest time to get it. Plus if you do not have to move....

Not that either is a bad option at all!

Wait...GeoMom...can you be a bit more specific. How far is the waterslide area from the sandy part?

Is it farther apart than the Kidani pool areas?

I have two older who will enjoy the slide and the two younger who will love the sand, but I'm not happy to hear they are that far apart? It was crazy to all separate at Kidani keep our eyes on four kids, but I did love the pool areas there because they had great things for both age groups.

Are they all contained in one area? I assume so because I know they don't allow pool hopping.

Also, at the Mad hatter play area is there a larger slide or just the small one I have seen in the pics of the kiddie play area?

I don't think I want to do a split stay, there will be 7 of us and that is a lot of luggage to switch around, especially for such a short visit (only 5 nights). But I have heard you can have your luggage moved for you, maybe it wouldn't be bad, but I like unpacking the first night and at least feeling I will be there long enough to make myself at home.

SAB is not contained. The pool area is very spread out. They give you a wristband to access pool areas. An option is to check out a Youtube video of SAB to help in your decision. The pool @ BWV is contained. I would say Kidani is less spread out than BCV.

Wait...GeoMom...can you be a bit more specific. How far is the waterslide area from the sandy part?

Is it farther apart than the Kidani pool areas?

I have two older who will enjoy the slide and the two younger who will love the sand, but I'm not happy to hear they are that far apart? It was crazy to all separate at Kidani keep our eyes on four kids, but I did love the pool areas there because they had great things for both age groups.

Are they all contained in one area? I assume so because I know they don't allow pool hopping.

Also, at the Mad hatter play area is there a larger slide or just the small one I have seen in the pics of the kiddie play area?

I don't think I want to do a split stay, there will be 7 of us and that is a lot of luggage to switch around, especially for such a short visit (only 5 nights). But I have heard you can have your luggage moved for you, maybe it wouldn't be bad, but I like unpacking the first night and at least feeling I will be there long enough to make myself at home.

Yes, Storm Along bay is far more spread out than Kidani. To access the entrance to the waterslide, you need to exit a gate and cross the sidewalk. Added to that--the end of the slide is nowhere near the sand area. You get wristbands when you checkin--so you can enter/exit that day.

Map of Storm Along Bay: http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/yachbeachmap.htm
The far left is the sandy area, middle includes the 8 ft. deep lazy river, far right the exit of the waterslide. Entrance to the waterslide is out a gate and across the sidewalk.

GFV: I haven't stayed at Grand Floridian yet, only saw the pictures online. I believe that the pool near the kiddie play area has a big slide? That might be similar to the Kidani situation.

I haven't checked it out for sure, but my guess is that it will take more points to stay at VGF than BCV.

Yes, it is significantly more, but I have points I have to use up since I just added on and got 2012 points so that is another reason to take advantage of VGF because I'll probably be more spendthrift with points in the future.

Also, during Easter, I hear the GF is pretty awesome with the Easter egg display, etc. Any other things I might want to take advantage of there during that time?

Yes, it is significantly more, but I have points I have to use up since I just added on and got 2012 points so that is another reason to take advantage of VGF because I'll probably be more spendthrift with points in the future.

Also, during Easter, I hear the GF is pretty awesome with the Easter egg display, etc. Any other things I might want to take advantage of there during that time?

You sound like you have pretty much made a decision.... go for it, it may be your only chance.

VGF...hands down!

SAB is too spread out....it's really deep in certain spots too and even though they have a lazy river, you have to rent a tube.... For like $5 a hour. SAB has some cool spots, like the sandy beach and the water volleyball, but with 4 kids its just to big.

We toured the villa's and they are beautiful at the GF. We got 4 days there in March 2014, I'm really excited and even my 13yo can't wait to stay there.

However, I like being close to my favorite parks, so you may want to pick the resort closest to yours. I do splits stays a lot, between BW and BLT, its a hassle but we always just use it as a resort day.

Thank you for all the input. I'm excited and while I was looking forward to our first stay in our new home resort, I think it will be pretty awesome to get to stay in GF since it is so new. Also, I remember as a child one of my friends from school always rubbing his family's money in my face and staying there every year, while I used to wish with each blow of my birthday candles just to be able to go to Disney, even if it meant staying in a motel.

I didn't make it there until 18 when my family won a trip. Can't believe I am now toiling over these crazy decisions, but I guess that is why no matter how many points I have, it will always be a special decision for me.

I think SAB definitely will work better when the kids are a little older and I also hear they are going to be doing some renovations to BCV so maybe by the time we make it back there it will be even nicer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter