VGF or VDH?

vacay77

DIS Veteran
Looking for guidance here - I’m the worst at making decisions.

I live on the west coast and my home resort is VGC. We want to use our VGC points strictly for VGC (and Disneyland). But we also want to add on points that we can use for WDW and the Aulani mostly. That’s why we are interested in VGF. But VDH would also be convenient if we ever needed to ease up on our VGC points.

VGF has lower annual dues, can be difficult to book at 7 months out, and no resale restrictions, which is why I’m leaning towards VGF. But I’m curious to see what others would choose and why, especially since I know that we would probably make use out of VDH, too.

Well, if your desired WDW travel dates or/and villa size aren’t very flexible, having the VGF contract will allow you to book at 11 months instead of worrying about being shut out at 7. The VGF2 isn’t sold out yet, so it’s difficult to tell, but there is reasonable concern that it will become even more difficult to book the Deluxe studios and 1/2BR villas in the original building as those VGF2 BPK Resort studios points are sold to people who really want to stay in the original building. So having 11 month booking rights somewhere at WDW might make the difference between a WDW vacation and no WDW vacation.

I would choose VDH. I'm on the west coast as well. I figure I would probably get more value out of the 11-month advantage at my local park than at VGF, probably in the short term, and definitely over the long term.

No wrong answers though, and the balance shifts if you genuinely think you'll use it more for regular trips to Florida.

I would choose VDH. I'm on the west coast as well. I figure I would probably get more value out of the 11-month advantage at my local park than at VGF, probably in the short term, and definitely over the long term.

No wrong answers though, and the balance shifts if you genuinely think you'll use it more for regular trips to Florida.

Wouldnt your WDW trips be planned further in advance though and your DL trips possibly be more last minute looking for random nights being cancelled that you grab?

Wouldnt your WDW trips be planned further in advance though and your DL trips possibly be more last minute looking for random nights being cancelled that you grab?

Because of the school and work schedules, we plan pretty far in advance, but yeah, we would always keep a few last minute points at the ready. Looking forward, I have no idea if VDH scheduling is going to be like VGC or more wide open.

Looking for guidance here - I’m the worst at making decisions.

I live on the west coast and my home resort is VGC. We want to use our VGC points strictly for VGC (and Disneyland). But we also want to add on points that we can use for WDW and the Aulani mostly. That’s why we are interested in VGF. But VDH would also be convenient if we ever needed to ease up on our VGC points.

VGF has lower annual dues, can be difficult to book at 7 months out, and no resale restrictions, which is why I’m leaning towards VGF. But I’m curious to see what others would choose and why, especially since I know that we would probably make use out of VDH, too.
Interesting question. Sharing in case this helps. We live in Texas half way between. We have points both at WDW and now points on the West Coast at VDH. We hit both DL and WDW regularly. Points are needed on the West Coast if you want to have a reasonable opportunity to book a desired set of dates. Its not needed as much at WDW as there always seems to be availability at at least one WDW resort.

Having said that, if your desire is to book VGF and it books out frequently prior to the 7 month mark then sounds like that's the route you should go as you already have VGC and West Coast options available. If you're flexible not staying at VGF then VDH could make sense. Gives you plenty of options on the West Coast and you could certainly use VDH at WDW.

All this of course is based on the type of stay you’re wanting and excludes cost, point values, best bang for your buck, etc.

Last edited:

I would buy VGF if you care about being on the monorail loop when you visit, if you don’t care where you stay when coming to WDW, go Disneyland Hotel

Epcot is the best location especially for people who already go to DL which is essentially a larger MK.

I think I’d plan both 11 months out although sometimes I do go to Disneyland with little notice.

We were originally going to buy at VDH. My DH pointed out that since we live in SoCal and I’ve had pretty good luck snagging reservations at VGC (mostly 1 and 2 bedrooms) either from cancellations or logging on exactly at 7 months out at 5am PST (8 am EST). Our home resorts at SSR and BWV and since we now have a granddaughter, my thinking is that we’ll want to visit the MK more often (currently this is the one park we least likely to visit) so we should look into buying points for a monorail resort. We met up for our DVC rep to find out what the incentives are for VGF. I really didn’t want to wait for the new Poly next year and I”m not that keen on BLT, so we wound up buying direct points at VGF. I mentioned to my DD that the Villas at GF are pretty close to the Poly so they can easily walk over to O’Hana or grab a drink at Trader Sams If they don’t want to eat on property at GF.

We were originally going to buy at VDH. My DH pointed out that since we live in SoCal and I’ve had pretty good luck snagging reservations at VGC (mostly 1 and 2 bedrooms) either from cancellations or logging on exactly at 7 months out at 5am PST (8 am EST). Our home resorts at SSR and BWV and since we now have a granddaughter, my thinking is that we’ll want to visit the MK more often (currently this is the one park we least likely to visit) so we should look into buying points for a monorail resort. We met up for our DVC rep to find out what the incentives are for VGF. I really didn’t want to wait for the new Poly next year and I”m not that keen on BLT, so we wound up buying direct points at VGF. I mentioned to my DD that the Villas at GF are pretty close to the Poly so they can easily walk over to O’Hana or grab a drink at Trader Sams If they don’t want to eat on property at GF.

Yes - I love that there are several dining options nearby!

If you can find an Aulani subsidized dues contract—that could work. Our Aulani subsidized is the cheapest out of all our contracts. Gives 11 months at aulani for holidays and is easily used at many WDW resorts at 7 months. Our cost for VGF is roughly $10.25 a point (buy in + Maintenance) while our aulani one is $9.55…those subsidized dues really make a difference long term.

However, if you want to stay at VGF, buy VGF. It isn’t easy to get into at 7 months. We use our VGF points there. Aulani/AKV we use wherever. That said we’re likely buying VDH soon since we have no west coast points!

If you can find an Aulani subsidized dues contract—that could work. Our Aulani subsidized is the cheapest out of all our contracts. Gives 11 months at aulani for holidays and is easily used at many WDW resorts at 7 months. Our cost for VGF is roughly $10.25 a point (buy in + Maintenance) while our aulani one is $9.55…those subsidized dues really make a difference long term.

However, if you want to stay at VGF, buy VGF. It isn’t easy to get into at 7 months. We use our VGF points there. Aulani/AKV we use wherever. That said we’re likely buying VDH soon since we have no west coast points!

Are the subsidized contracts difficult to find?

Are the subsidized contracts difficult to find?
Probably. They aren’t hard to search for, but there aren’t tons of them out there though. They are rare and go fast. I think we paid a small premium (something like $112 a point in 2018).

For our portfolio it just made sense since we love aulani and go to Hawaii every two years even being east coasters—now we can use aulani for holidays when hotel rates are crazy (did NYE twice) but any leftover points are a steal at WDW at 9.55.

As a more west coast family this is a question we have asked ourselves quite a bit and there are days where I think I might be happier just having a bunch of GVC and VDH points only and live with trying to ninja in rooms at WDW at 7 months. The big wild card that adds to the cost of ownership is travel to the resorts and having your points more local removes that issue if "something happens." I can cruise to Disneyland resort on about 50 bucks of petrol in the minivan vs the 3600 bucks it's going to cost me to get my family plus grandma and grandpa to WDW next month...

With that said, WDW is it's own thing and we like it. The DVC program is impressive there, and I'm looking forward to exploring the different resorts over the years. Here is a list of a few (IMO) pros/thoughts for each:

VDH -
  • They aren't going to build a lot more DVC at Disneyland (where will they put it?). Even if they did do a DVC Villas at Pixar Place hotel and double the inventory of rooms in Cali, it would still be way less than what is even in the MK area at WDW (VGF, Poly 1 & 2, BLT, CCV, BRV). Chances are if you wanted advantaged trades or rentals in the long run, your VGC/VDH points would be optimal (even with the tax of doom)
  • Tax - it sucks. We have to live with it.
  • Disneyland Forward - don't buy VDH with this in mind... however if this long game becomes a reality I think all VDH owners will feel like Scrooge McDuck swimming in the vault of gold.
  • It's the OG mouse house and has a nostalgia factor that is off the charts.

VGF -

• You would own at both of the "Grand" hotels on the coasts... I see the appeal. We picked Riviera as our fancy hotel at WDW and we wanted points at Epcot/HS as we will do a lot of Disneyland trips each year. Disneyland and MK are not the same, but they scratch a very similar itch and we think over the years we'll want to be near Epcot more. With that said, if I found a pile of money in the future, owning a few points at VGF could be fun.
  • Solid resort with great food options.
  • I like to dress up fancy from time to time, but the Grand Floridian made me wish I was wearing a sportscoat on vacation in summer... Just a little to "stuffy" for me.
  • For some reason @MrsNVDISFamily hates the décor in the Grand Villa with a passion and I'll have to bribe her to try and stay it in. We do love the 2BR units though.
  • Not trying to be political, just more my gut feeling - even with what is going on, I think long term there is less legal/tax risk owning in Florida vs Cali. I still purchased a lot of Cali points, but I'm a bit concerned what might happen 10 to 20 years down the road...
Both are great choices. Best of luck with your decision.

As a more west coast family this is a question we have asked ourselves quite a bit and there are days where I think I might be happier just having a bunch of GVC and VDH points only and live with trying to ninja in rooms at WDW at 7 months. The big wild card that adds to the cost of ownership is travel to the resorts and having your points more local removes that issue if "something happens." I can cruise to Disneyland resort on about 50 bucks of petrol in the minivan vs the 3600 bucks it's going to cost me to get my family plus grandma and grandpa to WDW next month...

With that said, WDW is it's own thing and we like it. The DVC program is impressive there, and I'm looking forward to exploring the different resorts over the years. Here is a list of a few (IMO) pros/thoughts for each:

VDH -
  • They aren't going to build a lot more DVC at Disneyland (where will they put it?). Even if they did do a DVC Villas at Pixar Place hotel and double the inventory of rooms in Cali, it would still be way less than what is even in the MK area at WDW (VGF, Poly 1 & 2, BLT, CCV, BRV). Chances are if you wanted advantaged trades or rentals in the long run, your VGC/VDH points would be optimal (even with the tax of doom)
  • Tax - it sucks. We have to live with it.
  • Disneyland Forward - don't buy VDH with this in mind... however if this long game becomes a reality I think all VDH owners will feel like Scrooge McDuck swimming in the vault of gold.
  • It's the OG mouse house and has a nostalgia factor that is off the charts.

VGF -

• You would own at both of the "Grand" hotels on the coasts... I see the appeal. We picked Riviera as our fancy hotel at WDW and we wanted points at Epcot/HS as we will do a lot of Disneyland trips each year. Disneyland and MK are not the same, but they scratch a very similar itch and we think over the years we'll want to be near Epcot more. With that said, if I found a pile of money in the future, owning a few points at VGF could be fun.
  • Solid resort with great food options.
  • I like to dress up fancy from time to time, but the Grand Floridian made me wish I was wearing a sportscoat on vacation in summer... Just a little to "stuffy" for me.
  • For some reason @MrsNVDISFamily hates the décor in the Grand Villa with a passion and I'll have to bribe her to try and stay it in. We do love the 2BR units though.
  • Not trying to be political, just more my gut feeling - even with what is going on, I think long term there is less legal/tax risk owning in Florida vs Cali. I still purchased a lot of Cali points, but I'm a bit concerned what might happen 10 to 20 years down the road...
Both are great choices. Best of luck with your decision.

Thank you! Riviera was on our shortlist too and this made me reconsider it as a top contender, especially due to its location, lol.

If you're buying for WDW/Aulani, I don't see why you are buying direct at all. You can do this with resale SSR, which is only $100/point vs direct at $200/pt. It would be hard for me to use $200 points on this kind of reservation, knowing I could have just bought resale. And if you get sick of your SSR, you sell. NBD.

As a CA owner focused on DL, if you must buy direct, my obvious pick would be VDH. This keeps your options open to sell one or the other (or rent points). IMO, there won't be another entry point like this at VDH. I don't see why RIV/VGF are even in this discussion at the same pricing as VDH. Here's my math argument for that: https://www.disboards.com/threads/an-argument-for-vdl-as-direct-points-at-wdw.3916825/

And I'm not sure I agree with VGF being hard to book at 7 months, depending on when you are traveling and what you are booking.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter