Victoza?

TheDisneyGirl02

<font color=navy>I found my Disney Prince!<br><fon
I was just wondering if anybody else has ever been put on this injectable drug?

My endo put me on Victoza two weeks ago to help handle my PCOS symptoms. I started the medicine at the lowest dosage last Thursday. Last Friday night into Saturday, I was up vomiting and everything else that comes with it. I felt better the next day, but I was miserable for several hours.

Fast forward to this past Friday. I doubled my dosage (like I was supposed to) and woke up vomiting on Saturday morning.

I know that vomiting was a side effect, but when I called the pharmacy, they seemed to think it was a virus not a side effect however I'm not sure.

Has anybody else had that reaction to this medicine?

I've been using Victoza for 2 months, and haven't had that for a side effect. I seemed to be nauseated for about 3 days after starting, and 3 days again each time the dose increased. It definitely decreased with time.

Jen

If you don't mind my asking, what symptoms is this medicine for? If you don't want to answer out in the open, you can PM me.

If you don't mind my asking, what symptoms is this medicine for? If you don't want to answer out in the open, you can PM me.

I don't mind answering your question at all - it may help somebody else!

I've had PCOS/Syndrome X since 1997. One of the lovely symptoms of PCOS is having a difficult time losing weight. My twin sister and I have been on Weight Watchers since May of 2009 and I actually weigh more now than what I did when I started the program by about 5 pounds. I follow the program and know the program, but my body is working against me. Combine this with the underactive thyroid that I have, it makes losing weight very, very difficult to say the least.

My endo had talked to my sister and me about Byetta (spelling?) last year and we weren't ready to try it just yet. This year, after frustrating weight gains (my sister gained 4 pounds in less than a week while following WW) and the inability to lose the weight, we decided to try it. The endo recommended Victoza because it is only a once a day injection instead of the twice a day like Byetta.

People who have type 2 diabetes use this drug to help lower blood sugers, however it has shown to help people lose weight. I am on it for that reason, not because of high blood sugar.

I hope that answered your question. I have been so frustrated about gaining weight and then not being able to lose it that if this happening to somebody else out there and I can help by telling my story, than it is all worth it. :)

I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance when I was 17, so 7 years ago. They put me on Metformin and the doctor then always said "we'll just keep an eye on your thyroid". So fast forward to Dec 2009 and I switched doctors offices (one of the receptionists called and literally yelled at me 5 days after I had cancelled an appointment for the next month). Now this doctor is way more aggressive with treatment, and immediately goes "Yeah your thyroid is messed up" They kept me on metformin and added meds for an underactive thyroid and last month they actually did some biopsies on my thyroid. When I started the Metformin way back when, I lost about 30 lbs over a year of taking it, then just plateaued with it, whiddled off another 15 lbs over the next fews years, and then once they started messing around with my thyroid with this new doctor, I've gained 10 lbs. I told them this and that I haven't changed my diet (which yeah I should change it but I also shouldn't be gaining weight when I haven't changed anything) and they just told me at this level of thyroid medicine, that's not the cause of the gain. :headache:

I have an appointment in a couple weeks, I think I'm going to bring up this medicine and see what they say about it.

I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance when I was 17, so 7 years ago. They put me on Metformin and the doctor then always said "we'll just keep an eye on your thyroid". So fast forward to Dec 2009 and I switched doctors offices (one of the receptionists called and literally yelled at me 5 days after I had cancelled an appointment for the next month). Now this doctor is way more aggressive with treatment, and immediately goes "Yeah your thyroid is messed up" They kept me on metformin and added meds for an underactive thyroid and last month they actually did some biopsies on my thyroid. When I started the Metformin way back when, I lost about 30 lbs over a year of taking it, then just plateaued with it, whiddled off another 15 lbs over the next fews years, and then once they started messing around with my thyroid with this new doctor, I've gained 10 lbs. I told them this and that I haven't changed my diet (which yeah I should change it but I also shouldn't be gaining weight when I haven't changed anything) and they just told me at this level of thyroid medicine, that's not the cause of the gain. :headache:

I have an appointment in a couple weeks, I think I'm going to bring up this medicine and see what they say about it.

I completely understand your frustration and it's a horrible feeling. I am, however, having a reaction to the medicine and I'm stopping it for now. I'm leaving on the Magic's Trans-Atlantic cruise next week and I don't want to be/feel sick the entire time. After talking to my doctor, she said the best thing to do is stop it for now and the re-evaluate it in October once I'm home.

I have read about people having wonderful results because of Victoza so I would talk to your doctor about it. Best of luck!

I tend to be one of those people who either tolerate drugs perfectly or I get every single issue they could possibly cause. I had a terrible reaction to Wellbutrin years ago.

I figure it's at least worth bringing up at the doctors and seeing what they have to say.

I tend to be one of those people who either tolerate drugs perfectly or I get every single issue they could possibly cause. I had a terrible reaction to Wellbutrin years ago.

I figure it's at least worth bringing up at the doctors and seeing what they have to say.

It is totally worth it. My identical twin sister is not having the same reaction to the medicine that I was having - although it hasn't been a huge number, she has lost weight over the last 2 weeks.

Best of luck!

I was going to switch from Byetta to Victozza on the recommendation of my endocrinologist (type II diabetic, not PCOS). I do a non-FDA approved dose of the Byetta (three times daily instead of two) and we were going to see if once a day Victozza would work as well. But while I was waiting for my insurance company to add Victozza to the approved drug list, I got diagnosed with bladder cancer and am looking at doing chemo so we really don't want to mess with my medications.

When I first started the Byetta I was nauseous. I was doing the shots in my stomach because that was my preferred spot - I did insulin for quite a while and almost always used the stomach as an injection spot because it was easy to do even if we were in public. The endo suggested that I try doing the shots only in my thighs. I don't know if I was just getting past the side effects anyhow or if there really is a difference but that did the trick for me. No more nausea usually.

I did lose weight when I first started on the Byetta. Between giving up Actos (an evil drug known to cause weight gain) and Lantus (long acting insulin that also tends to contribute to weight gain) an doing the Byetta, exercising and watching my diet I have lost over 30 pounds in the last two years. Still have more to go but I haven't been exercising for the last few months due to several surgeries on the bladder. Other than my 60 mile cancer walk in July, I haven't even done any serious walking since I started having major problems with blood in the urine back in May. The anemia just kills all ambition!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter