Villas @ Wilderness Lodge - Renos?

PetePanMan

DIS Veteran
Hey Folks

I read that VWL were looking worn and that renos are planned. Can anyone confirm this and if so when they are planned

thx

Hey Folks

I read that VWL were looking worn and that renos are planned. Can anyone confirm this and if so when they are planned

thx

Nah, they aren't looking worn at all. But it's been about 14 years since they opened so a full renovation is scheduled for this year.

I agree - I've never had a worn looking room at VWL and my last stay was a little over a month ago. It's just on the schedule and nothing more specific than 2014.

Cool. Hoping they're done by Thanksgiving. Can't imagine it'd take too long with such a small resort. Remember, though, keep telling people it's old and dated, so those of us who enjoy the theme can keep getting reservations there. ;-) Enjoy.

Consider yourselves lucky that you haven't had a worn room at WL. We have and it was bad. Really bad. But we still love the resort!

OP, they will be getting a full refurb this year. There is a thread (do a search here) which gives better details about a start date. I can't remember the exact time.

I can't wait to stay there again once the rooms are redone, especially during the holidays. There is nothing like the WL during the holidays!! :goodvibes

The whole sleeps 5 option is terrific! I have heard rumors that poly studios will also.

This is probably not a very popular opinion, but I really do not like the idea of a studio that sleeps 5 for a couple of reasons.

First, the lack of drawer space when they put those murphy beds in place of a dresser.

Then there is the wear and tear these rooms are going to have by cramming so many people into the rooms. Studios are already a popular option for renters looking for a bargain, and when they can jam 5 into them they will be even more popular.

I do not own at VGF, and with their high point requirements you may not see this as an issue. But adding the 5th bed to the older resorts with lower points - I see this as an issue. I own at VWL and really hope they do not add the 5th person to a studio. One bedroom OK, but studio...no.

Laura

This is probably not a very popular opinion, but I really do not like the idea of a studio that sleeps 5 for a couple of reasons.

First, the lack of drawer space when they put those murphy beds in place of a dresser.

Then there is the wear and tear these rooms are going to have by cramming so many people into the rooms. Studios are already a popular option for renters looking for a bargain, and when they can jam 5 into them they will be even more popular.

I do not own at VGF, and with their high point requirements you may not see this as an issue. But adding the 5th bed to the older resorts with lower points - I see this as an issue. I own at VWL and really hope they do not add the 5th person to a studio. One bedroom OK, but studio...no.

Laura
I was wondering who is paying for these murphy beds? Is member dues/renovation fees being used or is marketing paying for this change? I don't like this change either. And I own there.

There aren't two showers, two bathrooms in these villas.

I agree, 5 in a studio is too many. If this makes the studios even more popular and the demand is higher, might they reallocate the points?
A bit off topic, but I noticed in the photos of proposed room rehabs that the stenciled leaves that border the ceiling appear to be painted over. I realize the design is really outdated but I will miss them.

I'm would prefer the one bedroom design like AKL or at least a sleeper chair. I can't imagine the layout in the studio when it isn't built from the ground up like in VGF.

Actually the VWL studios are only 18 sf smaller than the VGF studios.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/grand-floridian/news/2291-dvc-villa-square-footage-by-resort

Considering there's one less bathroom at VWL, it might truly be less crowded than VGF in a five-person studio configuration.

I totally agree that it would be somewhere between painful and unreasonable to squeeze five adults/teens into one of these rooms.

But for VWL members like us who have three young children, this will be a great option for a few years, when we want to save points and don't care about the 1BR amenities during a given trip. Once our kids are older, we will be 1-2BR users only.

Oh I didn't realize the difference wasn't that great. We also have 3 young kids and agree the space would be efficient for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter