Vintage resort pics?

Thanks everyone for sharing I really enjoyed this thread. Here's what I have.

img002.jpg

img032.jpg

img003.jpg

Here are some pics of the Mary Blair art prints from the Contemp rooms...

ART1.jpg

There were two sizes of prints, this was one of the small ones with image measuring approx 17 x 20".

ART5.jpg

This one was wifes very favorite! Also 17 x 20".

ART2.jpg

"Burro going Right..." was one of the larger ones- approx 20 x 30". With the double framing the finished piece is about 26 x 36".

ART3.jpg

"Burro going Left..." was a companion piece in many rooms with the above, and also one of the big ones.

ART6.jpg

This is also one of the big ones, and it's the only picture I have of it. Fashion historians take note- this pic was taken in 1975! There were also larger prints in the common areas throughout the resort. No pics though... and I've never seen one offered for sale.

ART4.jpg

This is the "World" map that hung in every guest room both in the Poly and the Contemp. It measured approx 4 x 5 feet, and appears to be vinyl bonded onto masonite. During the rehab of the Contemp (about 1985 and/or 1986), the maps were ripped off the walls and thrown into trash piles. Many were destroyed or ruined, and they were sold off as scrap masonite for $5.00 each!
Years ago I saw one on eBay for $10,000 but it didn't get a bid. I wonder if it would today?

Notice the locations of the Venetian, Asian and Persian Hotels that were never built.

I lOve the bedspread too!

Repeat of posting from 2009, info about the Magic Kingdom as it Never Was map:

As posted by flyinglizard: The "World" map . . . would eventually be ripped off the walls and sold for scrap masonite for $5.00! Most were heavily damaged in the removal process and all the frames were destroyed.

and

. . . Inside a Contemp room... the "map" picture on the right is now a "holy grail" to park collectors and probably would bring thousands of $$$... if you could find one! It measured 4 by 5 feet.

It seems that it is my good fortune to be the caretaker of the Holy Grail. Here it is as it hangs in my home with the explanation as to how it is that it came into the hands of my late husband Scott. I wrote to Dave Smith, Disney Archivist, a few years back asking him how many of these maps survived the Contemporary refurb. He told me that "some were sold to cast members and collectors at Disneyana Conventions and others can still be found on the walls in various office around Walt Disney World, but the vast majority was destoryed. There is no way of knowing how many still exist, but I would guess that it would not be a great number."

IMG_7157.jpg

As I posted on the Disney @ Home thread:
One more from the office: A map of the Magic Kingdom and Bay Lake--as it NEVER was. This was a room decoration in the Contemporary when it first opened and was the concept the Imagineers intended to develop. Many things were never done. For instance, locate where the Grand Floridian should be and you'll see a drawing of something very Asian. Directly across the lake from it there's another resort where there is none to this day. On the lakeshore just next to Autopia (or whatever they call it these days) there's a Taj Mahal looking resort. I hope you can see the detail well enough to see those and to spot other things that never materialized. Scott actually rescued this piece when he was walking back to the Contemporary many, many years ago and came upon some maintenance men breaking these and putting the pieces in a dumpster (the rooms were being remodeled). When he asked if he could buy one, Housekeeping gave him this one and all he had to do was arrange for it to be packed and shipped. It is a favorite among my favorites--as much for Scott's action as for the piece itself.

scan00017.jpg

This was taken in December 1982 at the CR. It's room 4330, MK view. I was in first grade!

scan00017.jpg

This was taken in December 1982 at the CR. It's room 4330, MK view. I was in first grade!

Oh my gosh... i feel old. The 80's look vintage now!! Wow.. its amazing now looking back how much the early 80's looked like the 70's. Thanks for posting. I wish I'd gotten to stay at CR years ago when it was so cool looking.

Wouldn't you love to see a photo of the view out that window 28 years later? Maybe you and (I'm supposing) your sister could find that doll and recreate the shot. I wonder what building or landscaping stands in that very, very empty area we can see out the 1982 window.

I wonder what building or landscaping stands in that very, very empty area we can see out the 1982 window.

Just some trees - no new buildings. You can still see the hedges and they expanded the parking lot further out since the convention center took up part of the parking when it was built. About the only change you would really notice if you looked now would be more trees hiding the monorail line.

I like you idea of recreating old photos. One day I am going to print out my old photos from the 70's and take them with me to the park and take "after" photos from the exact spot.

I'm really enjoying this thread. I was at Disney World with my parents in 1980, I'll have to dig up the pictures. We are currently booked for January 2011, staying at CR. My daughter is 8 and I can't wait to show her Disney.

Wow - thanks for the flashback -- we stayed in a FW cabin in 1990. It looked the same then. We stayed in 1982 as well -- the picture in an earlier post from a guidebook had a nice outside shot of what the "cabins" looked like then. I'd have to go through my parents old pictures to see if we have any from either trip. We loved FW!! So many good memories. :cloud9:

So many thanks for those who've posted! :goodvibes

I think I'm glad I didn't get to go when I first wanted to (i.e., when WDW first opened), because now my first memories of WDW it's incredibly lush and green and I wouldn't have liked being in the sun so much. But I love hearing other people's memories who enjoyed it back then, so I can share in the fun. Best of both worlds! :upsidedow

These are just some of the pics that I have from my family trip in 1986. I have lots more of the rides like Snow Whites Scary Adventures, Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, and ton's more of the Main St. Electrical Parade. I just chose these ones to narrow it down. Enjoy. :thumbsup2
trollyridemk86.jpg

teacups86-2.jpg

teacups86-1.jpg

ropedrop86-2.jpg

ropedrop86-1.jpg

meandthewalrus86.jpg

meminnie86.jpg

MainStParade86.jpg

Mainst.jpg

CinderellasCastle86.jpg

CatMe86.jpg

Who is that mustached character in the magenta vest?:confused3

Boy! Who realized the 80's.... look so..... dated:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter