Vintage resort pics?

this is the Poly in 1973... I'm sure the wallpaper would be a good seller today...
73poly.jpg

A Contemp view out of the room towards the park... where are the trees? Also 1973...
73contemp.jpg

Inside a Contemp room... the "map" picture on the right is now a "holy grail" to park collectors and probably would bring thousands of $$$... if you could find one! It measured 4 by 5 feet. This was in May '77.
disb2.jpg

The "Indian" art prints in each room were scenes from the Mary Blair Grand Canyon mural on the elevator shaft. They are very hard to find today, but some do exist...
disb1.jpg

I have some pics of the "Indian" art if anyone is interested...

Dang, that Poly wallpaper is hottt!!! I'm totally serious!!

These are all excellent. Thanks for sharing!

WOW!

It's amazing how much has changed, and yet how much has stayed exactly the same! Everything at WDW always looks so new and polished, it's easy to forget that some of it has been around longer than I have!

Connor-174.jpg

OK, I need ya'lls help. Does anyone know where this is? I don't recognize any of the landmarks. Could it be near the Polynesian?

Connor-165.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yes, the building on the right hand side of the picture was Chef Mickeys at Lake Buena Vista. I think it's now Capt. Jacks. Oh...the fond memories. Only the MK and Lake Buena Vista, nothing else, whatever would our children do with themselves!!! :rotfl: The simplicity.

No, I think that's his camera bag. My dad had one very similar.

That makes sense. However, I have to say that the couple in that picture would totally fit in with my DD19 and her friends - their hair, their clothes - you could have told me that photo was taken last week and I would have believed it.

That makes sense. However, I have to say that the couple in that picture would totally fit in with my DD19 and her friends - their hair, their clothes - you could have told me that photo was taken last week and I would have believed it.

They are a very hip looking couple-- like they could have been models for a cool brochure at the time.

For those of us that were kids at the time, maybe this photo of the village will bring back memories.

1) the slide
2) our moms wearing poor color combinations.

:laughing::laughing:

Connor-166.jpg

Oh wow. I have to send this thread to my mom. We used to go to LBV Village all the time! I will have to see if I have any pics. We'd go over at Christmas and they have carolers dressed in period wear. with the hand muffs etc. The trees would all twinkle, we'd climb in that play contraption and watch the carolers (yeah its misspelt) but wow! how neat to see!

Wasn't that play contraption where the train is now?

Love this thread! Wish I could help out but all of my mom's pics from when she was little and went were destroyed in my grandma's house fire a long time ago!

Great thread! I don't know which is more interesting to see, the room decor or the fashion show!

Here are some pics of the Mary Blair art prints from the Contemp rooms...

ART1.jpg

There were two sizes of prints, this was one of the small ones with image measuring approx 17 x 20".

ART5.jpg

This one was wifes very favorite! Also 17 x 20".

ART2.jpg

"Burro going Right..." was one of the larger ones- approx 20 x 30". With the double framing the finished piece is about 26 x 36".

ART3.jpg

"Burro going Left..." was a companion piece in many rooms with the above, and also one of the big ones.

ART6.jpg

This is also one of the big ones, and it's the only picture I have of it. Fashion historians take note- this pic was taken in 1975! There were also larger prints in the common areas throughout the resort. No pics though... and I've never seen one offered for sale.

ART4.jpg

This is the "World" map that hung in every guest room both in the Poly and the Contemp. It measured approx 4 x 5 feet, and appears to be vinyl bonded onto masonite. During the rehab of the Contemp (about 1985 and/or 1986), the maps were ripped off the walls and thrown into trash piles. Many were destroyed or ruined, and they were sold off as scrap masonite for $5.00 each!
Years ago I saw one on eBay for $10,000 but it didn't get a bid. I wonder if it would today?

Notice the locations of the Venetian, Asian and Persian Hotels that were never built.

Connor-174.jpg

OK, I need ya'lls help. Does anyone know where this is? I don't recognize any of the landmarks. Could it be near the Polynesian?

That's the sidewheeler "Southern Seas" #2 (1978-1998), leaving the Contemporary dock heading towards Fort Wilderness.

Yes, the building on the right hand side of the picture was Chef Mickeys at Lake Buena Vista. I think it's now Capt. Jacks. Oh...the fond memories. Only the MK and Lake Buena Vista, nothing else, whatever would our children do with themselves!!! :rotfl: The simplicity.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the building in the center of the photo is Captain Jacks, CJ's is pretty much unchanged since the Village opened in 1975. Chef Mickey's, (originally the Village Restaurant) would be off to the right out of the picture. The building to the right is the so-called Marina Building, which has the following (probably incomplete ) history:

Toys Fantastique 1975 - 1988
Conched Out 1988 - 1993
Discover 1993 - 1996
Summer Sands 1996 - 8/00
Childrens Fashions 1975 - ?
Its A Small World After All ? - 1988
Board Stiff 1988 - 1992
The City 1992 - 1996
Authentic AllStar 1996 - 97
Pooh Corner 11/97 - 1/06
World of Disney Kids 2/06 -
Carolyns Couture 1975 - ?
Country Address 1975 - 1985
Resort Wear Unlimited 1985 - ?/99
Disney At Home ?/99 - 1/05
Goofy’s Candy Co. 4/05 -
Great Southern Craft/Crafty Corner 1996 - 97
Garden Center 12/99 - 1/05
Mickey’s Mart 11/04 - (expanded into Disney Tails 2/07)
Disney Tails 7/04 - 2/07

:)

Oh wow. I have to send this thread to my mom. We used to go to LBV Village all the time! I will have to see if I have any pics. We'd go over at Christmas and they have carolers dressed in period wear. with the hand muffs etc. The trees would all twinkle, we'd climb in that play contraption and watch the carolers (yeah its misspelt) but wow! how neat to see!

Wasn't that play contraption where the train is now?

That play "house" was located next to what is now Ghiradelli's, formerly Goofy’s Grill 1992 - 1997. formerly Lakeside Terrace 1988 - 1992, formerly Lite Bite 1975 - 1988.

Here's another play area that was next to the Captain's Tower, now Disney Pin Traders. Known over the years as the Tot Yard, Village Kids Place and Sand Street Station.
This photo is from 1986, and was taken after 11PM, which was the time that the Disney provided buckets, shovels and other sand toys were put away for the night.

This is where the train is now located.

146644-86-72-copy-med.jpg

:thumbsup2

ART1.jpg

There were two sizes of prints, this was one of the small ones with image measuring approx 17 x 20".

ART5.jpg

ART2.jpg

"Burro going Right..." was one of the larger ones- approx 20 x 30". With the double framing the finished piece is about 26 x 36".

ART3.jpg

"Burro going Left..." was a companion piece in many rooms with the above, and also one of the big ones.

ART6.jpg

This is also one of the big ones, and it's the only picture I have of it. Fashion historians take note- this pic was taken in 1975! There were also larger prints in the common areas throughout the resort. No pics though... and I've never seen one offered for sale.

ART4.jpg

This is the "World" map that hung in every guest room both in the Poly and the Contemp. It measured approx 4 x 5 feet, and appears to be vinyl bonded onto masonite. During the rehab of the Contemp (about 1976 and/or 1977), the maps were ripped off the walls and thrown into trash piles. Many were destroyed or ruined, and they were sold off as scrap masonite for $5.00 each!
Years ago I saw one on eBay for $10,000 but it didn't get a bid. I wonder if it would today?

Notice the locations of the Venetian, Asian and Persian Hotels that were never built.

I love that artwork, especially the map. It's just too cool that it has the hotels that were never built on there. I love the idea of a Ventian hotel!

Call me crazy too, but I'm just loving that wall paper too! Normally I hate wallpaper of any kind, but loving that.

I really need to head over to my parents house one of these days and scan some of our old pictures. I should have a bunch from the Poly if I can find them.

Does anyone else who used to stay at the Disney resorts in the 70's early 80's remember the channel that used to run continuously showing what to do at Disney? I remember the song they used to sing distinctly and the peppy cast member who would start the show off by saying "Hi I'm Susan!" My brother was 6 on our first trip to Disney and watched that channel ad nauseum! I think they finally changed the channel when Epcot opened up, as summer 82 was the last time I remember watching it. When we went in 88 it was a different show. My brother was six when we went to Disney the first time in 79 and wanted to watch that show ad nauseum.

My mom and I still laugh about the song, and are apt to break into at any time if either of us is planning a vacation there.

ART6.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing these fabulously mod pictures! I feel as if I just time traveled! As someone who was 14 when WDW opened and didn't make it there until I was almost 21, I longed, yearned and pined to stay at The Contemporary! Now I have some idea of what it would have looked liked if I did!

This is such a cool thread. I am loving the old picures!

ART1.jpg

ART5.jpg

ART2.jpg

ART3.jpg

ART6.jpg

ART4.jpg

This is the "World" map that hung in every guest room both in the Poly and the Contemp. It measured approx 4 x 5 feet, and appears to be vinyl bonded onto masonite. During the rehab of the Contemp (about 1976 and/or 1977), the maps were ripped off the walls and thrown into trash piles. Many were destroyed or ruined, and they were sold off as scrap masonite for $5.00 each!

LOVE LOVE looking at these old pics!

Is it just me or do these pictures remind anyone else of It's a Small World After ALL? LOL

LOVE LOVE looking at these old pics!

Is it just me or do these pictures remind anyone else of It's a Small World After ALL? LOL

Mary Blair, the artist who designed the mural for the Grand Canyon Concourse, also was the supervising imagineer for It's a Small World. That's why the designs are similar. A little bit of Disney history!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter