Viva Italia - May 29 - June 6 - Trip Reflections

3pirates,
Another question. Did you consider La Costa Bella vs. Viva Italia? I think my 12 yo would also enjoy Pompeii and swimming off a boat in Capri, and wonder if you had any thoughts on this trip vs. the one you took, especially after you've experienced it.

We were on the same trip as 3P and went a few days early so our 3 kids (ages 5,8 and 11 ) could adjust to the time change better. We based oursevles in Sorrento and explored Capri and the Amalfi coast on our own. Our kids actually enjoyed Herculaneum more than Pompeii. It is smaller,better preserved and more shaded.

Mamadis,
Since you explored both areas, do you wish you had spent more time on the Amalfi Coast, or if you had to pick one or the other, which would you pick? Also, did you fly into Naples or Sorrento originally, then make your way to Rome? Did you children enjoy Viva Italia?

I think you need to decide what your goals are for the trip, before deciding which one to take. If you want to get the full flavor and essence of what people think of when they think of Italy, I would go with Viva Italia. Also, I would take into consideration if you have been to Italy before or plan to go back in the future. If this is going to be your only trip to Italy, I think it would be a shame to miss David in Florence and the magic and mystery of Venice. My kids loved it. Tuscany was awesome too. There is so much history that surrounds you on the Viva Italia tour. My 2 older kids had studied Rome at school, so they loved seeing all the things they had studied come to life in front of them.

On the flip side, the Amalfi coast was breathtakingly beautiful. It sounds like once you get to Sorrento and the coast ,it is a much more laid back trip than the Viva Italia trip, which can be a plus with kids. My kids loved playing in the surf on the Amalfi caost and collecting sea glass. It sounds like that Amalfi coast trip is a more relaxing trip . We spent three days on the Amalfi coast. I think that was just about right, maybe a day more to have more time to wander through the shops a little more.

We initially flew into Milan and took a flight from Milan to Naples. We then took a shuttle to the train station and made our way to Sorrento. While we were on the Amalfi coast , we hired a driver who took us around. On the last day he took us back up to Rome.

My kids had a fabulous time on the Viva Italia tour. In fact, my 5 year old cried on the last day he was so sad it was over. One tip that might be helpful for those with kids, is to maybe let the kids sit at their own table with other kids rather than sitting with just your family. We had 7 in our party so we frequently were at a table with just our family. We ran into one of the other families one night at dinner on our own and invited them to join us. The kids sat at one table and the adults at another. The kids had much more fun, once they got to know some of the other kids. They can't wait to go on another ABD adventure.:)

Hope that helps.

I agree with MamaDis.:goodvibes: If this is your first/may be your only time to go to Italy, I can't imagine not seeing Florence and Venice. I haven't seen the other area, and I'm sure it is beautiful, but we went for the places the kids (and us) have always heard about/wanted to go. For us, this particular mix of locations was the best fit.

And yes, James is a keeper. He's the nicest guy. Our trip was his first THIS Summer, and as we left Friday he was heading back to Rome to start the next one on Sunday!:faint:
I hate to bring up a dead topic, but I wanted to say that I also had James as an Adventure Guide. Since that trip I have made it a point to see him every time I visit Walt Disney World. He really is a keeper.

I hate to bring up a dead topic, but I wanted to say that I also had James as an Adventure Guide. Since that trip I have made it a point to see him every time I visit Walt Disney World. He really is a keeper.

Where is he in WDW?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter