VP Pence to host call with cruise line industry.

Maybe they can suspend that provision of the Passengers Vessels Services Act to get get the cruise industry started again.
It's not the PVSA that doesn't allow it. The PVSA has no provision for or against them.

It has to do with a court decision involving the CBP people. Cruises to nowhere are deemed to be "within the USA" (since they do not stop in foreign ports). Foreign nationals working inside the US require a different (more costly) work visa than if they work onboard a ship that stops at a foreign port. The cruise lines (apparently) opted to stop cruises to nowhere so that they don't have to deal with the extra cost/legalities of those more involved visas.

So in some of the responses about cruise companies private islands being used as a port outside the US, how long does the ship have to stay in port and would companies be able to share their islands with other cruise companies that don't have their own Island.
In other words, guests would be told the cruise would be a cruise to no where but they have to dock for a short time for legal reasons, however no one can get off the ship.

So in some of the responses about cruise companies private islands being used as a port outside the US, how long does the ship have to stay in port and would companies be able to share their islands with other cruise companies that don't have their own Island.
In other words, guests would be told the cruise would be a cruise to no where but they have to dock for a short time for legal reasons, however no one can get off the ship.
In order to be deemed a legal stop in a foreign port, passengers must be allowed to debark.

There was a time where "service calls" were allowed. That is, the ship would stop in port, or outside the port, local officials would board and do the paperwork to say the ship and "called" at the port. I believe, generally, they had to be "in port" for a minimum of 4 hours, but no passengers were allowed off.

That loophole was closed about 4 years ago. A port stop, according to the PVSA, to be legal, passengers must be allowed to get off. No time limit that I'm aware of, however.

For anyone that still does not think it is safe to travel weather it be on a cruise, a theme park or any where else in the world, stay home and be safe.
It is no longer just about people going on vacation, it is about people being able to safely vacation and it's about people being able to return to work. As long as it can be done safely and people want to not only vacation but people also want to go back to work why not let them. I know several Disney cast members who have lost their jobs because of this. Whole departments wiped out laying off hundreds. People need to go back to living their lives, we can't spend the rest of our lives hold up in our homes.
My wife and I have been to Disney several times since it re opened. To us it is a lot safer and cleaner than going to some of the large box stores to do our weekly food shopping, yet people do that ever day.
This virus is not going away just like any other virus. We just have to learn to live with it and move on.
The problem is your vacation has the potential to turn you into super spreader as happened with a rather prominent American. I'm sorry, IMHO you have no right to do something that could threaten the health of others. Wish I had a crystal ball so I would know if EVERYONE had stuck with the stay at home order had stayed home if we would be in a better place now.

In order to be deemed a legal stop in a foreign port, passengers must be allowed to debark.

There was a time where "service calls" were allowed. That is, the ship would stop in port, or outside the port, local officials would board and do the paperwork to say the ship and "called" at the port. I believe, generally, they had to be "in port" for a minimum of 4 hours, but no passengers were allowed off.

That loophole was closed about 4 years ago. A port stop, according to the PVSA, to be legal, passengers must be allowed to get off. No time limit that I'm aware of, however.
That's why they would either have to suspend the foreign visit requirement or have the country that the port is in allow passenger to disembark the ship. The only exception to suspend the PVSA right now is for national defense from what I know.

The problem is your vacation has the potential to turn you into super spreader as happened with a rather prominent American. I'm sorry, IMHO you have no right to do something that could threaten the health of others. Wish I had a crystal ball so I would know if EVERYONE had stuck with the stay at home order had stayed home if we would be in a better place now.

I'm sorry, IMHO you have no right telling me what what I should do or not do. You can't take my rights away just because you believe everyone could potentially become a super spreader if they left their home. If everyone stayed home for the past several months we would have had no food,electric,water and so on. In the area I live in toward the end of the lock down we were seeing shortages of certain foods. How are people supposed to make money to pay their bills. Most people that though we should have been locked down longer either were on some sort of retirement/government benefit were deemed an essential business or had some sort of other income. Most people I know barely made it financial through the lock down only to find out they no longer have a job.
Remember masks and social distancing are going to save the world. If you are so afraid than stay home.

Part of the point I am trying to make it has a lot more to do than just with people going on vacations. It has a lot to do with being able to get back to work. Remember people that work in the cruise/vacation industry and every industry that supports the cruise/vacation industry need those jobs. Hundreds of thousands of them.
People need to be aloud to get on with their lives if they want. People who do not feel safe or do not want to take a chance should stay home.
One persons insecurity should not infringe on another persons rights.

I think we need to get back on point about why the OP started this post before it gets locked.

So you’re for banning alcohol, tobacco, gasoline burning engines, firearms, pit bulls, etc, etc or does your hypocrisy have no bounds?
Alcohol, tobacco, gasoline burning engines, firearms, pit bulls all are not contagious, with no treatment or vaccine.

Putting oneself in jeopardy due to alcohol, tobacco, gasoline burning engines, firearms, pit bulls, is a choice that is easily avoided.

You don't know if COVID is anywhere near you, putting you at risk. Until there are true, effective treatments, and/or a vaccine, it's a hidden risk that you can't avoid.

I'm sorry, IMHO you have no right telling me what what I should do or not do. You can't take my rights away just because you believe everyone could potentially become a super spreader if they left their home. If everyone stayed home for the past several months we would have had no food,electric,water and so on. In the area I live in toward the end of the lock down we were seeing shortages of certain foods. How are people supposed to make money to pay their bills. Most people that though we should have been locked down longer either were on some sort of retirement/government benefit were deemed an essential business or had some sort of other income. Most people I know barely made it financial through the lock down only to find out they no longer have a job.
Remember masks and social distancing are going to save the world. If you are so afraid than stay home.

Part of the point I am trying to make it has a lot more to do than just with people going on vacations. It has a lot to do with being able to get back to work. Remember people that work in the cruise/vacation industry and every industry that supports the cruise/vacation industry need those jobs. Hundreds of thousands of them.
People need to be aloud to get on with their lives if they want. People who do not feel safe or do not want to take a chance should stay home.
One persons insecurity should not infringe on another persons rights.

I think we need to get back on point about why the OP started this post before it gets locked.
Just like you have no right to make other's sick. As my Constitutional Law Professor put it, your rights end at the moment they endanger someone else's rights.

So you’re for banning alcohol, tobacco, gasoline burning engines, firearms, pit bulls, etc, etc or does your hypocrisy have no bounds?
Well, last time I checked, there are restrictions on alcohol, tobacco, gasoline burning engines, firearms, pit bulls etc etc. There is no hypocrisy in keeping people healthy and alive.

At this point I think we need to get back on point about why the OP put this post up. Arguing about taking away one persons right to possibly protect another persons rights is only going to get this thread locked. There is no right answer and no wrong answer for everyone. I can understand how and why people feel the way they do. In the end I will always respect everyone opinion even if I do not agree with it. It's their right to have an opinion. As long as we all stay civil about it with each other.

This x1000. I’m not going to risk accidentally infecting someone I love/a perfect stranger just because I want to go on a cruise.

The lives of others are more important than my « right » to vacation.

^What they said.

There are a bunch of ER doctors here in Dallas working on victims tonight of DWI drivers who may disagree with you.

Pretty sure those DWI drivers will be brought to court for their actions if at all possible... same for events involving the other things you mentioned. For tobacco second hand smoke is why we have so many rules limiting where and when you can smoke. There isn't really a way to sue someone who spreads covid, though there ARE rules set to help limit the odds of infecting another person.

I'm not surprised our VP hosted the call... last I heard our current president has friends in the cruise industry. I'm sure they are getting pressure to get cruises... cruising.

As much as we keep getting off "topic", one aspect about the CDC ban that many don't consider but I believe they ARE using it as a consideration for continuing it, is everything leading up to and stepping on the ships are the PRIMARY risk for infection, airports, planes, hotels, taxis and limos are are necessary for most travelers to get to a port to get on a ship. SURE you could show up at the port door infection free, but do you know you haven't been exposed on your travels TO the port???? It's a serious issue you have to acknowledge that plays a paramount factor in lifting the ban, it doesn't matter if you think the CDC is being punitive or trying to punish the cruise industry. Until you can reduce the risk of all other aspects of travel passengers will be exposed to in order to get to the ship, then *****ing about not cruising right now really is pointless. The meeting the VP had was to get input from all avenues of he travel industry NOT just cruise ships. We still have a way to go until we can get back on board, hopefully there will be movement in all methods of travel so we can start vacationing soon, either on the sea or on land.

I'm not surprised our VP hosted the call... last I heard our current president has friends in the cruise industry. I'm sure they are getting pressure to get cruises... cruising.

"As a non political statement not taking one side or the other"
I think its more than our current president having friends in the cruise industry. I read a story back in August basically stating that in the state of Florida they estimate the loss of 169,000 jobs and the estimated loss of 23 billion dollars in cargo and cruise activity at Florida sea ports. That's a lot of peoples jobs in just one state. The loss of money also means a lot of loss to state and local governments.
I think what the Vice President is trying to do is hear both sides and make a decision to help get things moving again in a reasonable manor. I think there has been a lack of communication between the CDC and the cruise industry. I think the Vice President stepping in as a sort of middleman has got both sides talking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter