VP Pence to host call with cruise line industry.

everything leading up to and stepping on the ships are the PRIMARY risk for infection, airports, planes, hotels, taxis and limos are are necessary for most travelers to get to a port to get on a ship.

You could say the same for any tourist destination including DisneyWorld. Nobody walks from NYC to MCO and then walks from MCO to the parks or resorts. I think that’s our point, out of all the potential COVID spreading businesses on the planet, only cruising has been singled out for a ban.

then *****ing about not cruising right now really is pointless.

So what should we be discussing on a cruising forum all knowing one? You want us to be swapping cooking recipes? The forum is about cruising and the thread is about a meeting to discuss the resumption of cruising. So discussing cruising right now is entirely on point. If you feel it is pointless there are many Disboard forums that are non-cruising related.

You could say the same for any tourist destination including DisneyWorld. Nobody walks from NYC to MCO and then walks from MCO to the parks or resorts. I think that’s our point, out of all the potential COVID spreading businesses on the planet, only cruising has been singled out for a ban.

So what should we be discussing on a cruising forum all knowing one? You want us to be swapping cooking recipes? The forum is about cruising and the thread is about a meeting to discuss the resumption of cruising. So discussing cruising right now is entirely on point. If you feel it is pointless there are many Disboard forums that are non-cruising related.

The problem with this is that comments become condescending towards fellow posters. And totally off topic to the original post.

Quarantine when you get home - that way you won’t infect anyone.

What about the transportation I‘ll have to take to get from the airport to the airport? What about the flight? What about the restaurants I’ll eat in on my way home? What about the cab ride I’ll have to take to get back home from the airport? Travelling is just a bad idea right now.

Plus, most people don’t have an extra two weeks of vacation they can take to quarantine at home.

What about the transportation I‘ll have to take to get from the airport to the airport? What about the flight? What about the restaurants I’ll eat in on my way home? What about the cab ride I’ll have to take to get back home from the airport?

Plus, most people don’t have an extra two weeks of vacation they can take to quarantine at home.

Umm. Quarantine at home after you do all of the above. If you can’t quarantine, and it is a big deal to you, then stay home. But, just because you don’t think it is safe to travel, that doesn’t mean that everyone should have to stay home. We all get to make our own decisions.

Umm. Quarantine at home after you do all of the above. If you can’t quarantine, and it is a big deal to you, then stay home. But, just because you don’t think it is safe to travel, that doesn’t mean that everyone should have to stay home. We all get to make our own decisions.

Your decision could affect someone else’s health permanently or kill them.

The problem with this is that comments become condescending towards fellow posters. And totally off topic to the original post.

THIS!!!

I see @AquaDame already chimed in here once. Here's the 2nd warning, please keep this on topic and friendly! It seems people don't like us giving points or closing threads and then threads like this happen and we have no choice. We are being very lenient here. Please get this back on track and respect others opinions. You don't have to agree, just play nice about it. If you can't do that, walk away. Thank you! :flower3:

What about the transportation I‘ll have to take to get from the airport to the airport? What about the flight? What about the restaurants I’ll eat in on my way home? What about the cab ride I’ll have to take to get back home from the airport? Travelling is just a bad idea right now.

If you feel this way. Why do you have four cruises booked?

So back on topic
It looks like rather people like it or not the stars are ailing for a return to sailing in December for DCL the questions then start coming and we will have answers soon

I think you are 100% correct. For the longest time it looked like the CDC did not or would work with the cruise industries. The cruise lines were looking for guidance and recommendations from the CDC and there was none or very little coming from them.
I think the cruise lines going to the Vice President was a way to finally get a response from the CDC.
I think their thinking was that they had to move farther up the chain of command in the government to finally get the CDC to respond.
If cruises in Europe can start successfully with the proper precautions and safety guidelines in place why can't the US do the same.
I think this meeting made this point with the Vice President.

THIS!!!

I see @AquaDame already chimed in here once. Here's the 2nd warning, please keep this on topic and friendly! It seems people don't like us giving points or closing threads and then threads like this happen and we have no choice. We are being very lenient here. Please get this back on track and respect others opinions. You don't have to agree, just play nice about it. If you can't do that, walk away. Thank you! :flower3:

With respect: Isn't the topic cruise-related? And isn't this forum about cruising? - The Dis has many other wonderful forums not related to cruising and ppl can go there & participate if they don't feel like discussing cruises.
Imo the only reason to lock a thread should be if ppl start being j*rks. So far I haven't see it here.

I humbly ask you don't lock the thread as it is quite interesting & I like reading other peoples opinions, as much as I disagree with many of them.
This is an *opinion* forum and all of us have one (or many).

If you feel this way. Why do you have four cruises booked?

I plan to get the vaccine as soon as it becomes available.

I booked flights/hotels/cruises under « clauses » stipulating that I can easily change dates + I have a good travel insurance that covers cancellation.

It’s no worse than having a placeholder. Prices were great, I booked. I already postponed one trip to next year because it’s not safe to travel.

With respect: Isn't the topic cruise-related? And isn't this forum about cruising? - The Dis has many other wonderful forums not related to cruising and ppl can go there & participate if they don't feel like discussing cruises.
Imo the only reason to lock a thread should be if ppl start being j*rks. So far I haven't see it here.

I humbly ask you don't lock the thread as it is quite interesting & I like reading other peoples opinions, as much as I disagree with many of them.
This is an *opinion* forum and all of us have one (or many).

I agree with about 99% of this. ;) Yes, absolutely the topic of this thread is about cruising, there is no problem with that. The issue is when people start their own arguments within the thread about things that do NOT pertain to this thread or cruising. That is in fact happening here and people are not playing nicely. THAT is what I'm trying to stop. Again, we have been more lenient than we should be in letting this thread go as far as it's gone and not giving warnings and points. Both of us mods have piped in once and as you can see, other posters have also pointed out it's getting out of hand.

I have said exactly what you are saying many times here...this is the Cruise Board to discuss cruising. If you want to discuss other topics we have other boards. The Community Board is great to discuss current events. And yes, these boards are about sharing opinions as much as sharing facts, but we have to respect those opinions and not argue about them.

If you could find one, they aren't done out of US ports any longer.
Germany has been doing these sailings since August.. Lufthansa is also working ona project with Viking cruises... Charter flights for cruises.. flights are full only with cruise pax.. Testing done before boarding.

Germany has been doing these sailings since August.. Lufthansa is also working ona project with Viking cruises... Charter flights for cruises.. flights are full only with cruise pax.. Testing done before boarding.
Yeah, it's the flying part that could be a problem if taking a cruise out of Europe (for me, anyway).

I think we have to go back and look at why the No Sail order was issued in the first place.

It wasn't just about covid spreading on board the ships (actual or potential for).

IN another thread I made a post that included multiple quotes from a Federal Registry document that is a September Rule by HHS that gave some explanation as why the No Sail Order was issued: https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...-recommendations.3813784/page-8#post-62349890

From that explanation it is clear the reasoning was multi-facted. Among the issues:

- cruise ships as a vector for bringing the disease into the US and the obligation to keep the disease out of the US

[aside: there remains a long list of countries to this day whose citizens are not allowed to enter the US at all or for non-esential travel; for Canadians for example, we cannot enter by land for non-essential travel, though for some reason we are allowed to fly into the US; the US has seen travel by Canadians drop by over 90%; so while banning cruise ships tackles the mode of transportation, the US has also implemented other measures to tackle the issue in other ways, such as limiting travel from many countries, stopping issuing many types of visas, etc: basically, implemented many ways to prevent people from elsewhere from entering the US]

- introducing covid onto cruise ships and it transmitting among passengers and crew on the ships

- the issue of quarantine and dealing with sick passengers/crew; this is a significant one because the quarantines were federal quarantines which meant tremendous resources on the part of the federal government - and which was unsustainable [see the quotes for explanation]

The public proposals from the cruise lines/industry association dealt heavily with the "on the ships" issues, but seemed fairly light on the "but what if all that doesn't work and an outbreak happens anyway" which would lead to the need for quarantine and offloading to quarantine.

From my reading of the explanation of the No Sail, the unsustainability of federal quarantining issue was a MAJOR if not THE major factor for the no sail order. They quite simply did not have the resources to sustain quarantine operations and if more ships with outbreaks kept coming it just was not possible. Therefore, No Sail order. Stop the ships, therefore eventually bring the need for the federal quarantines to an end.

So not only are the cruise lines going to need very robust and workable plans to PREVENT outbreaks, but they are going to need REALLY REALLY good pans for what to do if outbreaks DO manage to happen despite precautions - including the possibility of a large scale outbreak - and how that will be managed, including large scale quarantine on land that would NOT be a federal government-run quarantine [but would be approved by etc].

It may require some federal laws or rules changed to be able to make it happen.

Hopefully now the conversation can at least be "in order for resumption of sailing to happen, this is what is needed to be done, and these are the things that need to happen in order for those things to be able to be done" and both sides working collaboratively towards the same goal instead of whatever was the case before [which isn't clear].

OP here. Acording to Forbes the tourism industry employs 1 in 10 people worldwide and cruising is part of this so we have to be able to start a dialog to get this up and running again . That's why the VP is having these calls with cruise executives. No matter where you stand on the virus situation you have to agree that we have to open up tourism again, there are too many people suffering , not just in the US but the the rest of the world where some countries don't have a decent unemployment system. Most of the crew at DCL are from nations that don't have that unemployment support so that's something to think about also. I really believe all of these people can come up with recommendations to start cruising slowly and safely. It's everyone's personal choice if they want to sail or stay home once a decision is made to open up cruising again.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alison...n-loss-100-million-jobs-at-risk/#6feb56dbcdd3

I live in Orlando and it takes about 45 minutes to get to the port. My trip to PC consists of getting in my car in my driveway and driving to PC. I have no interaction with anyone until I get to the port. I can't wait to cruise again and hopefully soon.

BTW... During this pandemic, I've travelled to LA and Ohio and I planning to go to Key West this December. My family has also stayed at Disney for the weekend. I believe travelling is very safe (just wear a mask and use hand sanitizer).

Hopefully now the conversation can at least be "in order for resumption of sailing to happen, this is what is needed to be done, and these are the things that need to happen in order for those things to be able to be done" and both sides working collaboratively towards the same goal instead of whatever was the case before [which isn't clear].

Probably a silly question but... why couldn't these talks have started during the no sail order..? Presumably the ships are getting fitted for better hvac systems, more plexiglass, maybe even switching Cabanas to cafeteria style instead of buffet. Those are all reasonable accommodations for resuming. Surely something was happening that we weren't privy to? They should come up with the guidelines now (or months ago) and once they're met lift the ban.

No matter where you stand on the virus situation you have to agree that we have to open up tourism again, there are too many people suffering, not just in the US but the the rest of the world where some countries don't have a decent unemployment system.

Honestly I think the reason this keeps getting argued is because the other side does not believe we must open up tourism yet. We're still denied entry or required to quarantine before returning home, we're still missing the benchmark for acceptable #s of people contracting the disease (variable based on your state/county), and our number of dead is still growing. I'm not trying to argue about which view is correct, but if "everyone" agreed we needed to reopen we'd reopen. Seems the argument boils down to what you personally believe is the greater evil - loss of life due to transmissible disease which can lead to financial insolvency, or loss of financial solvency which could lead to loss of life.

I think someone mentioned here or maybe in another thread the idea of sailing with Floridian residents first (assuming they sail from PC). I don't think doing that on short Bahamian cruises would be a terrible way to start when they're ready. If that goes well they can look at adding other ports of embarkation as individual states allow, or allowing visitors from other states too.

I think someone mentioned here or maybe in another thread the idea of sailing with Floridian residents first (assuming they sail from PC). I don't think doing that on short Bahamian cruises would be a terrible way to start when they're ready. If that goes well they can look at adding other ports of embarkation as individual states allow, or allowing visitors from other states too.

Texas is open for business and so is the Port of Galveston. Cozumel is just a short cruise away and they are open for American tourism including their port. Just saying.

On another note I feel DCL may want to start back up solely in PC just for the control of the bubble factor. Does anyone know the status of DCL’s terminal rebuild at PC? Has it started? If it has started is it done or close to being done? I think if they were going to restart, having their own operational cruise terminal would be a good idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter