VWL 1 br Sleeping Arrangements

Turn the Page

DIS Veteran
Hello everybody.

I browsed around the board a bit but couldn't really find the answer to my question....though I didn't make an exhaustive search I'll grant you.

As it may be relevant our first choice at the moment is VWL and our second is AKL.

DFI and I are debating resort options for our wedding next year. We are planning a familymoon so our daughters, who will be 9 and 5 on the trip respectively, will be with us. I had suggested we rent a 1 br villa so that we will still have some privacy since it will be our honeymoon after all (the bedroom door does lock right?) and the kids could sleep on the pull out couch in the living room.

DFI had agreed to this plan but last night he expressed concerns about where the kids would sleep. He is wondering how much of a pain in the neck pulling the couch out every night is and whether the mattress would be comfortable for the kids to sleep on.

He is so concerned he floated the idea of renting points for a 2 br villa. Now, I'm not a cheapskate, I am willing to splurge a bit for our wedding and honeymoon. However, that being said, I do think it is ridiculous to spend roughly $1400 more for a 10 day vacation so the 9 and 5 year olds can have a real bed. If they were adults yes but I remember thinking sleeping on the pull out couch in the basement at my house to be a huge treat at that age let alone a pull out couch in Disney World. I highly doubt the mattresses will be so uncomfortable that the kids won't be able to get a decent nights sleep. Added to that they will probably sleep in the grandparents rooms several nights during the course of the trip.

Can anyone offer any insight on this? What was your experience with the sleeping arrangements in the living room at VWL and AKL?

TIA

There isn't a lock on the bedroom door.

Let them sleep on the sofa bed, they will be fine. Don't give them an option and don't tell them something like. "I'm sorry, your new mother doesn't want you to have your own bedroom".

:earsboy: Bill

There isn't a lock on the bedroom door.

Let them sleep on the sofa bed, they will be fine. Don't give them an option and don't tell them something like. "I'm sorry, your new mother doesn't want you to have your own bedroom".

:earsboy: Bill

No lock on the bedroom door?!?!?!!?! That stinks.

We wouldn't tell them their new mom doesn't want them to have a room of their own. Heck, they have their own rooms here at home and one of them is biologically mine anyway lol.

Besides, it's Disney World. I really don't think, at these ages, sharing the pull out couch is going to ruin the trip for them.

When we have to have someone sleep on the pullout we bring a memory foam topper. The sofabed ends up being more comfortable than the regular bed. If we are flying I pack it in a large duffel bag or suitcase and check it. The $50 round trip baggage fee is a much better value than upgrading to a two bedroom. I probably should just get an owners locker.

VWL was just refurbed and has new sleeper sofas. I think they'll be fine.

I haven't stayed at VWL yet, but I can say the sleep sofa at BLT is very comfortable. Your children will be fine.
Congratulations & enjoy your trip!

I haven't stayed at VWL yet, but I can say the sleep sofa at BLT is very comfortable. Your children will be fine.
Congratulations & enjoy your trip!

Thank you. We are all really excited and looking forward to it. Too bad it's still over a year away but I'm sure the time will pass more quickly than it seems like now.

I'm 39 and am fine on the pull-out. Your kids will be too. A one bedroom is a good amount of space.

You'll be fine with a 1 bedroom. We normally just get a studio for the 4 of us. Our kids (14, 10)sleep fine on the sleep sofa--after the first day at the parks they're exhausted! I'll admit to being lazy--we just leave the sofabed open for the whole trip...we tend to just be in the rooms for breakfast and bedtime.

Agree with the others: the pull-out couch will be fine. If you're not going to be in the room much, leave it pulled out and just tidy it up. On days you want more space, it's easy enough to pop back into the couch and toss the cushions onto it. Have fun and congrats!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter