VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I used to request lakeview every time. Sigh.

:rotfl2: Kathy....you crack me up!

It's like we have our very own Eeyore on this thread when it comes to room requests! :eeyore:

af28ba510b0aa42628a2846748272412.jpg

:guilty:

If you want a lake view, there is exactly one 1BR unit that meets your requirement....unit 5519 is a lock-off 1BR with the larger living room area. You can see it on the room map on page 1, 5th floor. There is another one on the other side of the building too (not a lake view).

As @sleepydog25 indicated, you can request this one villa. But it would take quite a bit of luck to have someone checking out of that villa the morning that you check in. And if they can't fulfill that request, you could end up anywhere.

I completely understand the two siblings not wanting to sleep together. We brought an air mattress for several years for our regular 1BR villa at VWL (BRV). There is room for it, though it is pretty tight. I think we had one daughter sleep on the couch (without folding it out) and the other on the air mattress on the floor.

We have had magical Disney moments but hoping for one unit is a bit of a stretch...lol especially when we are checking in on a Tuesday!!

What would your request be knowing what we are looking for? Top floor is my request in any hotel because I am a light sleeper and people walking above me will keep me up but Disney hotels are not nearly as bad with ceiling noise, so I don't always make that request for DVC but we do not like ground floor with patios. We have had rooms facing both the bus stop and pool/lake and much prefer the pool/lake but it seems like that will narrow my request down too much. Should I just request top floor or near elevator? or any floor besides ground level and near elevator?

Thanks for everyone's advice! We haven't stayed at BRV in awhile and DH is missing it but I am not missing the crowded space. I love the 1 bed units at Kidani because the sleeper chair and sofa pull out means no hauling an air mattress or stressing about where it will fit at!! We were lucky enough to stay in a 2 bed at BRV once and that was amazing!!! but also a little above budget....

We have had magical Disney moments but hoping for one unit is a bit of a stretch...lol especially when we are checking in on a Tuesday!!

What would your request be knowing what we are looking for? Top floor is my request in any hotel because I am a light sleeper and people walking above me will keep me up but Disney hotels are not nearly as bad with ceiling noise, so I don't always make that request for DVC but we do not like ground floor with patios. We have had rooms facing both the bus stop and pool/lake and much prefer the pool/lake but it seems like that will narrow my request down too much. Should I just request top floor or near elevator? or any floor besides ground level and near elevator?

Thanks for everyone's advice! We haven't stayed at BRV in awhile and DH is missing it but I am not missing the crowded space. I love the 1 bed units at Kidani because the sleeper chair and sofa pull out means no hauling an air mattress or stressing about where it will fit at!! We were lucky enough to stay in a 2 bed at BRV once and that was amazing!!! but also a little above budget....
Personally, we've had good luck with "high floor, near elevator" or "high floor, lake view." We prefer the latter given the better view. Now that the trees are missing (sadly), you get a great view of EWP each night. The bus side is quieter overall, I think, so it's a toss up.

Welcome to the groupies jenhelgren!!!!
Based on your thoughts, I would ask for high floor 1st, then near elevator.

I would request high floor, lake view. That gives them a lot of rooms to work with, and even if you are the farthest room from the elevators it's not a long walk since the resort is so small. You don't have to worry about the kind of walks from the elevator you might have at Kidani, for instance.

That's great, Corinne! What kind of view category are you booking? We like BLT a lot...just so darn convenient! Do you have more waitlist to go? Or does that complete your reservation?

Thanks Granny, I booked a lake view room, and our reservation is now complete.:flower1:

Did you also ask for a higher floor? I think those are more popular than the low ones. Any time I asked for higher floor I was put on the end (cowbell serenade) or in one instance I was granted that large 1br unit on the bus side. That's when I decided that I do not like being up high.

Cowbell serenade!:rotfl:I have to hit that thing every time we walk by it (still)!!!!!:goodvibes

Thanks Granny, I booked a lake view room, and our reservation is now complete.:flower1:
So happy for you. I love BLT as does my DD. Love the location, restaurants and TOTWL. Next April I am hoping to switch to BLT at the 7 month mark. I would love to add on a contract there as well.

So happy for you. I love BLT as does my DD. Love the location, restaurants and TOTWL. Next April I am hoping to switch to BLT at the 7 month mark. I would love to add on a contract there as well.
Thanks! We may have to add on to our stay indefinitely - the JetBlue return flights are still too high! :scared1:

Although DiznyDi insists on a high floor (so snakes can't crawl into the room :confused3 ), we never like being above the fourth floor, as the fifth floor has the atrium enclosed and you can not see down into our beautiful lobby; one of the things most enjoyable when coming and going!

We also always ask for an "Odd Numbered Room", as many CMs , when asking for Lake View, have had difficulty knowing they are odd numbered.

Looking forward to our May trip to The Lodge. ~48 sleeps. DiznyDi's early morning countdown
(always a small voice while I'm dressing for work) has not yet started, but it will in a few weeks! :banana:

Welcome to the groupies jenhelgren!!!!
Based on your thoughts, I would ask for high floor 1st, then near elevator.

I would request high floor, lake view. That gives them a lot of rooms to work with, and even if you are the farthest room from the elevators it's not a long walk since the resort is so small. You don't have to worry about the kind of walks from the elevator you might have at Kidani, for instance.

Thanks for the suggestions! I wont put my expectations too high but more room for an air mattress would be amazing!

Is calling a few days in advance to check the requests still the best strategy or do you just add them onto the reservation with DVC? I have never had any luck leaving notes on the reservation through DVC and a few years ago called but I don't know if this is still even an option....

Is calling a few days in advance to check the requests still the best strategy or do you just add them onto the reservation with DVC? I have never had any luck leaving notes on the reservation through DVC and a few years ago called but I don't know if this is still even an option....

I've never seen evidence that calling a few days in advance helps with requests. We always just email our very general requests to Member Services and have had pretty good luck with our room assignments. On the other hand, @KAT4DISNEY has made requests for years at VWL that the room assigners have infamously ignored. So at the end, it does become the luck of the draw. If most people want a lake view, then many will be disappointed as they have to assign all rooms if the resort is fully booked (as it often is).

I think more important than the timing of the room request is the timing of the check-in. People start checking in during the morning (even though rooms are not generally ready until around 4:00p) and tend to "politely" ask for the most highly sought after rooms. And the front desk people do change room assignments to make the guests happy. People who arrive later in the day (4:00 or later) tend to get the leftovers.

I have no specific data to support this but I think I've seen enough anecdotal evidence through personal experience and postings on forums to think this is what often happens.

I think the best approach is to put in a room request but be prepared to get your least desired room. And then just roll with the assignment, knowing that someone has to get placed in every villa. Good luck!

jenhelgren
I think more important than the timing of the room request is the timing of the check-in. People start checking in during the morning (even though rooms are not generally ready until around 4:00p) and tend to "politely" ask for the most highly sought after rooms. And the front desk people do change room assignments to make the guests happy. People who arrive later in the day (4:00 or later) tend to get the leftovers.
I concur to this as well. We have purposely arrived at VWL early to get a better room, and most times, it pans out, at least to get 1st request made.

I do ask at reservation time for 2 requests. Then 2 weeks prior(was told by a DVC CM to do this)to arrival, I call back, confirm my requests, or if I decide to change them, I do so at that time. The CM asked if I had a specific room number, which I was shocked that he did. So I said yes, gave him number, and lo and behold, got it! That was at BWV, so more rooms, but you get the picture.

jenhelgren

I concur to this as well. We have purposely arrived at VWL early to get a better room, and most times, it pans out, at least to get 1st request made.

I do ask at reservation time for 2 requests. Then 2 weeks prior(was told by a DVC CM to do this)to arrival, I call back, confirm my requests, or if I decide to change them, I do so at that time. The CM asked if I had a specific room number, which I was shocked that he did. So I said yes, gave him number, and lo and behold, got it! That was at BWV, so more rooms, but you get the picture.

Jimmy...were you calling MS? And MS asked if you had a specific room number? I've never had anyone at MS do that, and generally they spend a fair amount of time telling me that requests are not guaranteed, they'll do what they can, yada yada yada.

Jimmy...were you calling MS? And MS asked if you had a specific room number? I've never had anyone at MS do that, and generally they spend a fair amount of time telling me that requests are not guaranteed, they'll do what they can, yada yada yada.
Yes, but thats not the norm. He was really friendly and still told me no guarantee, yada, yada.
I think it still boils down to luck of the draw, but it doesn't hurt to still put in requests. I always keep in mind of doing so 2 weeks prior, and I usually get at least one of the request met.

Have my first stay at Wilderness lodge ever booked for next February and am very excited. I've only been able to visit for a drink and a meal (artist point) so I'm excited to be able to spend a few days there. We're staying at Boulder Ridge as it sleeps 5 according to what I've read and that suits us better. If I'm not mistaken then Boulder Ridge is a building adjacent to the main building? How far of a walk is it, not far I'm assuming?

Have my first stay at Wilderness lodge ever booked for next February and am very excited. I've only been able to visit for a drink and a meal (artist point) so I'm excited to be able to spend a few days there. We're staying at Boulder Ridge as it sleeps 5 according to what I've read and that suits us better. If I'm not mistaken then Boulder Ridge is a building adjacent to the main building? How far of a walk is it, not far I'm assuming?
:welcome:, likesdisney! We're happy to see another new face here on the Groupies thread! I'm not certain when you were at WL last, but AP is no longer a Signature restaurant but a character dining spot now. As to your question, the walk from the original DVC property there (us old-timers still call it VWL) is no longer than the walk from the main Lodge, meaning not a long walk at all. The two buildings are connected by a covered walkway, and halfway between the two is the connecting walkway to the bus stop. From the side door of the main Lodge to the main door of the VWL (or BRV as it's called now) is all of a 1-minute walk. The only long-ish walk at the Lodge is if you were at one of the farthest out Copper Creek cabins. Otherwise, everything is quite intimate though still quiet. Again, welcome, and if we can answer any more questions, fire away! We're glad you found your way to our merry band!

Thanks. I'm so excited to finally be able to stay at WL. Seems like a lot has changed since my last quick visit a couple years ago (which was at night, and quite rushed) but I'm really looking forward to be able to spend some time there (might not even go to a park, just relax around the hotel, we'll see) Some early mornings with a nice quiet cup of coffee in the main lobby soaking up the atmosphere (might not be everyone's idea of a good time, but for me it is lol)

Thanks. I'm so excited to finally be able to stay at WL. Seems like a lot has changed since my last quick visit a couple years ago (which was at night, and quite rushed) but I'm really looking forward to be able to spend some time there (might not even go to a park, just relax around the hotel, we'll see) Some early mornings with a nice quiet cup of coffee in the main lobby soaking up the atmosphere (might not be everyone's idea of a good time, but for me it is lol)
Actually, many of us on this thread think hanging out in the lobby is one of the best parts about our home. I think mornings are fine, and even though WCC will be in full swing, I don't think it's rowdy enough to bother your experience. Since you're staying at VWL, I would also suggest one of two fireplaces with rockers in that building's foyer as it is far less crowded and much quieter. The Inglenook fireplace is in the foyer proper on the right after you enter the building from the main entrance. There's another fireplace in the Carolwood Pacific room which is to your immediate right as you walk in the VWL main door. Both are lovely places to simply unwind, read, sip a libation, and generally relax. Another suggestion: there are a handful of rockers outside on the porch to VWL. As you walk up to the main entrance of VWL, to your right you will see a cee-ment (as the Beverly Hillbillies might call it) porch with some wooden chairs sitting on it. The porch extends around to the back side of the VWL building where you will find even more chairs. There are a half dozen or so small rockers for kids, and then about 7-8 larger wooden chairs for adults. Last count two weeks ago, three of those were rockers. Finally, and this can be a real treat if you're there early enough, go to the boat dock and sit out there while drinking your coffee first thing in the morning. You can catch the sunrise over the lake from there and listen to the birds, frogs, and early morning boat horns. Well, I just got back and I'm already making myself nostalgic and ready to go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter