VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Correct in that there is no bike riding or walking to FW--in fact, I didn't see a single bike during our time here, and though Teton rentals was open, I saw no bikes outside the shop leading me to believe they're not renting them. As for the refurb, it doesn't "smell" like one. However, you could be correct, Tom. At any rate, it was a shock to see it closed. So, in closing, where there were two trails to FW, now there are none (currently). Hmmm. More thoughts and pics to come on our entire trip once we get back. We hit the road tomorrow morning, heading back to cold, wintry, rainy weather. Ugh.

Sorry Groupies it was not my intent to go so off topic! To add insult to injury, I’m an HR/Payroll professional! I did not work for 4 months last year so I was really not in tune with our tax withholdings. Anyway again I apologize for going :offtopic:
No problem Corinne! I go off topic all the time, heck, to the point I would be apologizing all the time:D
Thats the great thing about this thread, we can do that and get replies, but we can be back on topic in a flash

Correct in that there is no bike riding or walking to FW--in fact, I didn't see a single bike during our time here, and though Teton rentals was open, I saw no bikes outside the shop leading me to believe they're not renting them. As for the refurb, it doesn't "smell" like one. However, you could be correct, Tom. At any rate, it was a shock to see it closed. So, in closing, where there were two trails to FW, now there are none (currently). Hmmm. More thoughts and pics to come on our entire trip once we get back. We hit the road tomorrow morning, heading back to cold, wintry, rainy weather. Ugh.
Crossing fingers that it is temporary. Would really miss not being able to hit the trail to Trails End

Hmmm. This is what we came across following the bike path to FW just past the bus stop at the Lodge. Before turning the corner and seeing this, there was one of those themed, semi-permanent signs that abound at the Lodge saying, "End of the trail." I fear this refurbishment is linked to the new rehab facility, Reflections, that is yet to be built. If so, expect no path either (a) for a few years or (b) ever again. I'm trying not to let this issue become a flash point and downer for me as we end our trip. . .not sure it's working.
IMG_1366_zpscbzzlvuh.jpeg

:sad2::headache::sad2::headache::sad2:

Well, we made it back home. Left around 7:10 this morning and arrived home at 5:35. We stopped twice: once to grab lunch and get gas and then once near home to hit the grocery store for a few needed items. If the second stop had been just for a quick potty break, we'd have been home before 5. We made really good time given the 680+ miles we drove. As we crossed the border between FL and GA, and for the next couple hours, it was 80F and mostly sunny. When we got home? 34F, windy, rainy, and foggy. :rolleyes2

I'll post more in the next couple of days, hopefully with pictures. Overall, our trip was good though we struggled to come to terms with some of the changes. I'll detail it all later. For now, it's time to pet the cats, unpack the bags, and enjoy some wine. pirate:

Well, we made it back home. Left around 7:10 this morning and arrived home at 5:35. We stopped twice: once to grab lunch and get gas and then once near home to hit the grocery store for a few needed items. If the second stop had been just for a quick potty break, we'd have been home before 5. We made really good time given the 680+ miles we drove. As we crossed the border between FL and GA, and for the next couple hours, it was 80F and mostly sunny. When we got home? 34F, windy, rainy, and foggy. :rolleyes2

I'll post more in the next couple of days, hopefully with pictures. Overall, our trip was good though we struggled to come to terms with some of the changes. I'll detail it all later. For now, it's time to pet the cats, unpack the bags, and enjoy some wine. pirate:

Looking forward to your trip summary and pix. I'm hoping that your first trip to WDW in a couple of years was mostly awesome! :)

Hmmm. This is what we came across following the bike path to FW just past the bus stop at the Lodge. Before turning the corner and seeing this, there was one of those themed, semi-permanent signs that abound at the Lodge saying, "End of the trail." I fear this refurbishment is linked to the new rehab facility, Reflections, that is yet to be built. If so, expect no path either (a) for a few years or (b) ever again. I'm trying not to let this issue become a flash point and downer for me as we end our trip. . .not sure it's working.
IMG_1366_zpscbzzlvuh.jpeg
Bye Bye Water Country
From twitter "RIP my favorite abandoned water park":
upload_2019-3-9_22-40-30.png

My DD (a WL CM) says WL is not renting bikes (currently). She has no further info at this time.
I rather thought as much since we didn't see a single one while there. We did see a few runners here and there, and they were constantly running loops around the Lodge through parking lot, by the cabins, and down the connecting walk to the bus stops. Tough luck for runners out there.

I suppose I'll get started on recounting our trip, and I'll try to keep it short. I'm doing a longer TR over on the DVC TR forum if you're interested. I mentioned we left rainy, cool southwest VA for sunny FL, only we encountered mostly rain on our drive down, right until we got into Jacksonville. By the time we reached VB on our second day (around 1 p.m.), it was warm and sunny. We went out to lunch at a place called Cobalt in the tonier part of VB. It sat on the beach and had good food, though our server was fairly lousy. But, it was good to be in the warmth of Florida!
0-2_zpsmpcoyzsz.jpeg

0-3_zps2q3dr6kh.jpeg

0-4_zpsas5nfaeq.jpeg

When we got back, our room was ready, and it was quite the treat! As requested, it was a high floor with ocean view. In fact, it was located on the top floor in the main building, room #2415, I believe. Here are a few shots.
0-8_zpslsh38dlj.jpeg

IMG_1128_zps6ur6rlrb.jpeg

View from our balcony
IMG_1092_zpsfoiafmvo.jpeg

IMG_1093_zpszevxmjlm.jpeg

It was a huge room!
IMG_1088_zpsouksbruj.jpeg

IMG_1089_zpscxhigrzr.jpeg

IMG_1090_zpsofo25ab3.jpeg

And it had lovely touches, such as the bubbles on the bed spread
IMG_1099_zpsovjtnykh.jpeg

Our first impression of VB was a good one. I mean, what a great view! More to come later. . .

Wow Sleepy!! Great views and seems like a lovely place. Maybe tacking on a couple days to a WDW trip may be in order for us after seeing those shots

Lor-uh :) .... I'm not sure if you've posted here before, but welcome to the Groupies thread! Your daughter is one lucky person to be working at our beloved Lodge! :thumbsup2

Welcome to the Groupies RachelTori!!!!
As Granny says, your DD is one lucky lady (or at least we feel that way):goodvibesto be working at one of most favorist places in the USA!!

Awww, thanks for the welcome!! I have actually lurked on this thread for quite some time!! We own at SSR and BWV, but the past year Boulder Ridge has become a favorite! Love the rooms and the location, of course, is hard to beat!

DD has been at the Lodge for almost 2 years now. She absolutely loves it! She's one of those students who did the CP (4 years ago) and..... no surprise.... never came home! :rotfl:

I suppose I'll get started on recounting our trip, and I'll try to keep it short. I'm doing a longer TR over on the DVC TR forum if you're interested. I mentioned we left rainy, cool southwest VA for sunny FL, only we encountered mostly rain on our drive down, right until we got into Jacksonville. By the time we reached VB on our second day (around 1 p.m.), it was warm and sunny. We went out to lunch at a place called Cobalt in the tonier part of VB. It sat on the beach and had good food, though our server was fairly lousy. But, it was good to be in the warmth of Florida!
0-2_zpsmpcoyzsz.jpeg

0-3_zps2q3dr6kh.jpeg

0-4_zpsas5nfaeq.jpeg

When we got back, our room was ready, and it was quite the treat! As requested, it was a high floor with ocean view. In fact, it was located on the top floor in the main building, room #2415, I believe. Here are a few shots.
0-8_zpslsh38dlj.jpeg

IMG_1128_zps6ur6rlrb.jpeg

View from our balcony
IMG_1092_zpsfoiafmvo.jpeg

IMG_1093_zpszevxmjlm.jpeg

It was a huge room!
IMG_1088_zpsouksbruj.jpeg

IMG_1089_zpscxhigrzr.jpeg

IMG_1090_zpsofo25ab3.jpeg

And it had lovely touches, such as the bubbles on the bed spread
IMG_1099_zpsovjtnykh.jpeg

Our first impression of VB was a good one. I mean, what a great view! More to come later. . .

I think we've just had 2 stays at VB over the years but for one of them I also got one of the top floor rooms. They are indeed very large! I still had the more normal configuration for the Inn rooms of 2 queen beds but had heard that a few had Kings instead. Did not know they had a couch then - very nice!

Awww, thanks for the welcome!! I have actually lurked on this thread for quite some time!! We own at SSR and BWV, but the past year Boulder Ridge has become a favorite! Love the rooms and the location, of course, is hard to beat!

DD has been at the Lodge for almost 2 years now. She absolutely loves it! She's one of those students who did the CP (4 years ago) and..... no surprise.... never came home! :rotfl:
Yes, welcome to our Groupies! The odds aren't good that we ran across your daughter, but it's kinda cool to have a Groupie who has family working there! My wife and I were just saying that if there was a resort we'd most like to work at it would be the Lodge. Despite all the changes, it's still a most peaceful place to be.

I think we've just had 2 stays at VB over the years but for one of them I also got one of the top floor rooms. They are indeed very large! I still had the more normal configuration for the Inn rooms of 2 queen beds but had heard that a few had Kings instead. Did not know they had a couch then - very nice!
It was a most excellent room with space to spare. The only downside was having the closed balcony requiring you to stand to see the water. However, that's a small price to pay for tall ceilings, an actual living area, and a view of the beach like we had.

Yes, welcome to our Groupies! The odds aren't good that we ran across your daughter, but it's kinda cool to have a Groupie who has family working there! My wife and I were just saying that if there was a resort we'd most like to work at it would be the Lodge. Despite all the changes, it's still a most peaceful place to be.

It was a most excellent room with space to spare. The only downside was having the closed balcony requiring you to stand to see the water. However, that's a small price to pay for tall ceilings, an actual living area, and a view of the beach like we had.

Yes, I don't know what they were thinking with so many of the balconies being enclosed there. :confused3 On our first stay that is what we had. And my mother was in a wheelchair and going to be spending most of her time in her room - hopefully looking at the ocean so that did not work at all. We asked for her room to be changed. Which they did the following day. For the full fee - couldn't really fault them but a little "magic" might have been nice. And to add salt to the wound DH had tipped the CM he spoke to who said he could move us but told him nothing about the fee. Ah well. It was an awesome balcony she got - large with room for many wheelchairs and right next door to us although no longer a connecting room. So on my next visit I requested a high floor with slotted balcony railing. :thumbsup2

Wow!!! Good for her! She is so lucky. I would love to work for Disney some day, maybe in retirement.

Guess everyone has been very busy!!!

We are having crazy weather here in TX. Lots of rain and some nice weather, but heading back to the colder side of things. We are so soggy it is ridiculous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter