VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Thank you for reporting in live Pat! :D I miss WL so much. I keep looking at availability 7 months out and am very mystified by the demand. Wow!

The CC room is quite nice, though something they used to clean or paint smells a lot like cat pee near the elevators. They're working on one, so it might have something to do with that; however, the smell is quite strong there and noticeable throughout the hallway, though not in the room, thankfully. I'll check in later and maybe even post some pics.
I heard the WL bear took a vacation and his replacement, the WL Bobcat still doesn't know where the litter box is. :cat:

Really though, I know that smell all too well. The local mall started using some sort of cleaner that was just as offensive and drove me away long before amazon had a chance to. If our senses don't like it there's an excellent chance that it's not healthy to inhale.

SleepyDog, I agree with you about VB. It is our second home resort but we never stay there for more than a few days. Our longest trip was a week and I am not sure we will do that again. There just isn't enough to do (for us anyway). We are not big "public" pool people since we have our own. I do love the beach though and could spend days just lying there reading and relaxing. The rest of my family - they get bored doing that after a while. I have never heard of the noseeums being a problem this time of year. They are horrible in the summer months though. The CMs are great but it is a quiet, resort and the Wifi is HORRIBLE. Always has been. I wish they would do something about that. You get the best connection if you are in the lobby... otherwise it is more miss than hit. We haven't been back since 2015. We were supposed to go back in June, but extended our time at WDW instead. I am hoping Ian and I can go back, just the two of us in the not so distant future. I think we would enjoy the relaxed pace more if we didn't have our "kids" with us.

Thank you for reporting in live Pat! :D I miss WL so much. I keep looking at availability 7 months out and am very mystified by the demand. Wow!

I heard the WL bear took a vacation and his replacement, the WL Bobcat still doesn't know where the litter box is. :cat:

Really though, I know that smell all too well. The local mall started using some sort of cleaner that was just as offensive and drove me away long before amazon had a chance to. If our senses don't like it there's an excellent chance that it's not healthy to inhale.
I believe the demand, at least in terms of CC, is that it's new and actually sits in the main Lodge. For me, personally, I prefer being at VWL because of that very lack of closeness to the main lobby. Luv and I just finished sitting on the porch at VWL, listening to the music (it's changed a bit) and soaking up the sun in what is topping out at about 60-62F today. There is something so very relaxing about VWL you don't get at CC. If you like the more hubbub and closer to the action vibe, then CC would work. If, on the other hand, you long for the more throwback era of Disney theming, then it has to be VWL. I think Luv prefers the sleeker look and feel of the CC villas by a hair--I still love her.

We headed to Disney Springs this morning and stepped into numerous shops--she got a couple of cute things, and I didn't. I almost bought a small grinder of the Pirates Spice blend at the Mickey Pantry (or whatever it's called), but it was about 2 oz for $15. Yeah, no. It's easy enough to recreate at home. For lunch, we dined at Enzo's Hideaway, and I gotta say, it rivaled Il Mulino for quality and service. In fact, it's by far the best service we've had on this trip and among the best for any trip. Even better, the food was excellent. I had their version of arancini while she had the shaved fennel and apple salad as appetizers, and we then split the ink squid pasta entree. While the shrimp were slightly overcooked, the pasta and sauce were delightfully toothsome and brightly flavorful, respectively. As AP holders, we also got a 40% discount on food (only a lunch deal) making this a wonderful bargain vis-a-vis Disney standards. Add the fact that it has a speakeasy feel and one of the coolest ways to get to the bathroom (shared with The Edison), and this is a place to which we'll return.

No park until tonight when we have FPs for MK. Before that, we dine at Flying Fish which is another new place for me. I'll report on that later. Ciao, bellas!

SleepyDog, I agree with you about VB. It is our second home resort but we never stay there for more than a few days. Our longest trip was a week and I am not sure we will do that again. There just isn't enough to do (for us anyway). We are not big "public" pool people since we have our own. I do love the beach though and could spend days just lying there reading and relaxing. The rest of my family - they get bored doing that after a while. I have never heard of the noseeums being a problem this time of year. They are horrible in the summer months though. The CMs are great but it is a quiet, resort and the Wifi is HORRIBLE. Always has been. I wish they would do something about that. You get the best connection if you are in the lobby... otherwise it is more miss than hit. We haven't been back since 2015. We were supposed to go back in June, but extended our time at WDW instead. I am hoping Ian and I can go back, just the two of us in the not so distant future. I think we would enjoy the relaxed pace more if we didn't have our "kids" with us.
I'm good for about two and a half days at the beach, then I need something else. If we go back to VB, we'll check out your tip for the wi-fi. We did find it odd for the buggy season, but there were signs all over and, of course, spray available for free. Again, we didn't feel or see anything. This next comment isn't meant in a pejorative manner, especially given my age, but VB seemed more like a resort for the older generations, although to be fair it's not prime time season for those with school age kids. ;)

Quick update: We left for FF early, got there, and used valet parking since we had the TIW card. We walk around Boardwalk for a few minutes before checking in at the restaurant, only to find out a couple of the dishes for which we had chosen FF were gone, especially a risotto dish. We were told we wouldn't be charged if we wanted to cancel, so we did and headed to one of our prime spots--Il Mulino! As usual, it was excellent with the gratis starter of the eggplant tapenade and bread before doing the meatball appetizer and then small plates of papparadelle in a spicy sauce and pasta carbonara. So very good! We left to get our vehicle, but when we showed our receipt, the same CM we had spoken with earlier said that they couldn't honor the TIW from a restaurant not at Boardwalk. Clearly, that was not the impression he had given us, and the only thing that would work was a receipt somewhere in the Boardwalk where we used our TIW card. Unamused, though grudgingly understanding the logic the CM was using (he hadn't explained it that way, after all), we went to Abracadabar and ordered a Prosecco. Less than 10 minutes later we were back for our car, but no one was at the desk. No sooner had we walked up, then we heard our name called and the car was ready! Confused to say the least. My guess is the CM spoke with a supervisor who said not to worry with the semantics except we had gone already. When we came back, the car had been brought up. In short, we got "free" valet for the price of a Prosecco when we likely could have waited a few minutes and not paid anything. Sigh.

By the time we got back to the Lodge, we were at the tail end of our second FP (we hadn't intended to do the first, actually), and walked directly to the dock to catch the boat. Twenty minutes later, no boat and none in sight; it was breezy; it was maybe 50; and it was dark. Making it to our final FP was a fading hope, so we gave up and came back to the room to await fireworks which you can see quite well if you stand opposite the bus stop on the sidewalk. In fact, I did just that and the pics turned out well. I think the music is piped into the whole outdoor sound system, it seems.

:laughing: Lol, honestly, I am with Luv! :duck:
Yeah, you better duck! pirate:

I believe the demand, at least in terms of CC, is that it's new and actually sits in the main Lodge. For me, personally, I prefer being at VWL because of that very lack of closeness to the main lobby. Luv and I just finished sitting on the porch at VWL, listening to the music (it's changed a bit) and soaking up the sun in what is topping out at about 60-62F today. There is something so very relaxing about VWL you don't get at CC. If you like the more hubbub and closer to the action vibe, then CC would work. If, on the other hand, you long for the more throwback era of Disney theming, then it has to be VWL. I think Luv prefers the sleeker look and feel of the CC villas by a hair--I still love her.

<snip>
...we dined at Enzo's Hideaway, and I gotta say, it rivaled Il Mulino for quality and service. In fact, it's by far the best service we've had on this trip and among the best for any trip. Even better, the food was excellent. I had their version of arancini while she had the shaved fennel and apple salad as appetizers, and we then split the ink squid pasta entree. While the shrimp were slightly overcooked, the pasta and sauce were delightfully toothsome and brightly flavorful, respectively. As AP holders, we also got a 40% discount on food (only a lunch deal) making this a wonderful bargain vis-a-vis Disney standards. Add the fact that it has a speakeasy feel and one of the coolest ways to get to the bathroom (shared with The Edison), and this is a place to which we'll return.

Hopefully the demand at VWL will settle down once Riviera opens. I'm really, really missing my second home. Love AKV for sure, but we've been staying there 3 years in a row come fall.

Enzo's is on my to-do list. Thanks for the review!

Sly - don't worry, I believe the wonderful flickering lanterns and sound of of the covered walkway underfoot as you come home from the parks by bus at night will call to your wife.

Sleepy
Sounds like you folks are having a good time! Interesting thoughts on VB. We too are not "Beach people", those who can hang out all day on the sand, in the sun. I like the beach area if that makes sense, but not much for just sitting there. Got to be doing something :thumbsup2

Get Chris back in line on that CCV thing. Luvccv just doesn't have the same ring to it:rotfl:

Boy, talk about not being "Beach People", a number of years ago DiznyDi and I decided to take a break from The World and head over to Clearwater. It was a nice drive, we took it easy, stop a few places and made it to the beach. It was packed. It looked like a the airport terminal - every man for himself. We stayed about 20 minutes, got in the car and headed back. Just not our cup of tea. :confused3

This next comment isn't meant in a pejorative manner, especially given my age, but VB seemed more like a resort for the older generations, although to be fair it's not prime time season for those with school age kids. ;)

I get that. In the summer there are tons of kids - especially in and around the pool area. We have only ever gone in June so I have no idea what it is like any other time of the year. The noseeums are really bad during dawn and dusk. I have been eaten alive several times. That itch lasts for weeks and is horrible.

Good Morning Groupies! I just booked our FP’s for our May trip! I still feel slightly resentful that I have to plan like this but, hey, no one is making me do it!

I’m trying to focus on the good and not the icky.... We just learned we were part of the “lucky” Americans (as our accountant said) who owe the IRS for the first time ever. :worried:

Good Morning Groupies! I just booked our FP’s for our May trip! I still feel slightly resentful that I have to plan like this but, hey, no one is making me do it!

I’m trying to focus on the good and not the icky.... We just learned we were part of the “lucky” Americans (as our accountant said) who owe the IRS for the first time ever. :worried:

Our bill is not yet finished but I'm expecting it will be the same. I enjoyed the larger pay checks but it would seem that the withholding calculations were a little too over compensating for quite a few. Ah well - at least this time I wasn't loaning the Govt money all year long.

With the new tax laws, it is certainly a good time to redo the IRS Form W4 if you are still working. It has a worksheet attached that provides a way to calculate the withholding deductions. Although the idea is to owe the government 9.5% (over 10% creates a penalty), finding April as a net 0 month for taxes is OK. The link below may help. Sorry! This is certainly no Disney stuff, but something that may make a difference to somebody. :confused3 :scratchin :eek:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

Hmmm. This is what we came across following the bike path to FW just past the bus stop at the Lodge. Before turning the corner and seeing this, there was one of those themed, semi-permanent signs that abound at the Lodge saying, "End of the trail." I fear this refurbishment is linked to the new rehab facility, Reflections, that is yet to be built. If so, expect no path either (a) for a few years or (b) ever again. I'm trying not to let this issue become a flash point and downer for me as we end our trip. . .not sure it's working.
IMG_1366_zpscbzzlvuh.jpeg

Oh. That's sad for now Pat.
Don't fear the long term though. I'm betting the trail will re-open so that the three resorts which are focused on nature will have a path open between them.

Sorry Groupies it was not my intent to go so off topic! To add insult to injury, I’m an HR/Payroll professional! I did not work for 4 months last year so I was really not in tune with our tax withholdings. Anyway again I apologize for going :offtopic:

So, no more bike riding to FW from VWL?

It appears that no bike riding down that path for the time being.

It seems way too early for this to be related to Reflections resort. It wouldn't seem that they would say "closed for refurbishment" if it was a permanent closure.

Maybe some of the deer animatronics along the path just need maintenance. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter