VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Speaking of first impressions of the Lodge, I'm going to take the liberty of quoting my favorite story about someone falling for our Lodge.

It is from eliza61, a long time participant on this VWL Groupies thread who us old timers love so much. Here's her first post about coming to Wilderness Lodge:

"Well fellow dissers,
When last we met, I was on the verge of murdering a family member for lousing up a well planned vacation. I am happy to say "all's well that ends well". Due to the really great folks from members service, I was able to downgrade from my grand villa to a 2 bedroom villa at the VWL. So my sprinkle of pixie dust goes out to the fine folks at MS.

So we arrived at the WL yesterday around 12:00 pm. Now my home resort is the BCV's which we love so I was little nervous about venturing to a new resort . This is our first time ever at the lodge and my first reaction was, "Where have you been all my life, you big handsome man". While I love the soft, soothing colors of the Beach Club and its understated charm, the Wilderness Lodge is theming at it's best. This is big, bold, if you can't run with the big dogs-stay the heck on the porch, jaw dropping details. I think we may have found a new favorite. "

I added emphasis on my favorite phrases.

We miss you Alice, and pray that everything is going well in your life. :)

Last edited:
Muushka !!!...another Groupie who we only get to see infrequently. We miss you too, Barb. And we want to wish you:

happy birthday characters.gif

Jen
Stan was indeed a great guy. We were fortunate enough to spend time with him up on the roof several times, and I gained a friend in him because of those times. We miss him too:grouphug:

Granny
Thanks for sharing the post that Alice wrote. Sure miss seeing her around these parts

Our first trip to the lodge was in 2001. We fell in love with it and bought into DVC that trip. The first strong memory I have is not walking into the lobby. It is taking the lodge tour with Ranger Stan. He was so much fun. Such a warm man. I knew during that tour he was someone special and would touch my heart. He definitely did that. Every year after I made sure to look for him. He took us to the roof and raised the flags with us at least 4 times. I will never forget Stan and think of him every time I walk through the lobby. I always remember seeing him standing by the lobby desk on the totem pole side. He would never have anything less than a big smile on his face.
Sadly, I never met Ranger Stan; however, that is my dream job!! I'm in the chorus of those who will find themselves in Florida in the not too distant future, so perhaps there's hope for me yet!

Sleepy...my first memories of the Lodge was May 1998. My husband and I spent our 12th anniversary there. It was such an immersive experience. We remembered being awestruck by the immense lobby....yet the resort as a whole felt cozy to us. Then I must recall a memory from way back for those of us that have been Groupies for long time. Someone on this thread had posted an altered photo of me swimming in the WL pool with the ducks and affectionately captioned the photo "Maria ---the WL duck whisperer". I don't have that photo any more as it was on a computer that crashed.....but it's probably here somewhere in the thousands of pages of our thread. Just love it there!
Okay, now I want to see the pic
Speaking of first impressions of the Lodge, I'm going to take the liberty of quoting my favorite story about someone falling for our Lodge.

It is from eliza61, a long time participant on this VWL Groupies thread who us old timers love so much. Here's her first post about coming to Wilderness Lodge:

"Well fellow dissers,
When last we met, I was on the verge of murdering a family member for lousing up a well planned vacation. I am happy to say "all's well that ends well". Due to the really great folks from members service, I was able to downgrade from my grand villa to a 2 bedroom villa at the VWL. So my sprinkle of pixie dust goes out to the fine folks at MS.

So we arrived at the WL yesterday around 12:00 pm. Now my home resort is the BCV's which we love so I was little nervous about venturing to a new resort . This is our first time ever at the lodge and my first reaction was, "Where have you been all my life, you big handsome man". While I love the soft, soothing colors of the Beach Club and its understated charm, the Wilderness Lodge is theming at it's best. This is big, bold, if you can't run with the big dogs-stay the heck on the porch, jaw dropping details. I think we may have found a new favorite. "

We do miss you, Eliza! Been too long. I love the "run with the big dogs" description. I may have to steal it at some point.

And, Happy Birthday, Muushka!! :bday:

"Well fellow dissers,

How funny you mention Alice today! A certain user name elsewhere happened to catch my eye earlier in the day yesterday. By all appearances our Eliza61 is doing well!

Hey ArielSRL.....a friend of mine lives there. She is in a semi early retirement (she's 57). I went to visit her about 8 mos ago (I live in Palm Coast----midway between St Augustine and Daytona). Wonderful quaint little town! But she had snow flurries in Dec!!!! Not far enough south for me! I think even St Augustine had a few flakes......I am trying to escape all memories of snow! LOL
HAHA. We honeymooned at Amelia and have since had a few family vacations there. We have friends that live there, as well. We enjoy the peace and quiet and smallness of it all. Not to say there aren't other beautiful beach towns but I guess it is just what we know! :)

Most of you have read my story because it is recent...not to say you remember it, but it is well within the last year, so maybe...lol. In any case, I really think I fell in love with the idea of the Lodge a long time ago. I have been visiting Disney since I was 3 years old and I am 44 now. We haven't gone every year but I have been at least 16 times and its definitely possible that it is more. I honestly don't remember when I started first hearing about the Lodge but my uncle is very much a national parks guy and I've been to several myself (7 week road trip out west in 2002) so I probably took note of the design because of that. Also, my dad has always been a fan even though they have never stayed there. One year, my mom and I ate at WCC so I did visit the Lodge. I know we did a girls' only trip in 2007 so it had to have been then.

In any case, I have always wanted to stay at the Lodge but growing up we first did offsite, then moderates. In 2012 and 2016, we ended up at SSR (upping our game somewhat). We had booked VWL in between AoA and SSR for our June 2016 trip, but ultimately my mom chose SSR because we could park closer to the actual room. Finally, finally, finally for our June 2017 trip, I rented points from a friend/co-worker and decided it was time to try WL. My parents did not come in 2017 and my DH, having not visited Disney in 35 years and knowing how much I knew about it, left all the planning to me.

The moment we arrived, I thought it was wonderful and amazing but crazy enough, my DH wasn't impressed with the villas building nor the room on that first night. However, that was probably more due to the effects of driving several hours from Atlanta and the absolute horrid weather on that first night. Eventually, like by the next day...lol...his tune had changed and we started discussing DVC while we were there. Once we arrived home and got settled, I started looking for a resale contract at VWL (now, of course, BRV) that fit our needs and one showed up in July and we started the lengthy process of buying resale that was finally complete in September! My only regret is that another 100 point BRV contract showed up a month or so later that had a much better use year (it did cost $1 more per point but that was a drop in the bucket, really), so I think maybe I should have waited. But I, obviously, can't see into the future, so in the end we truly are satisfied with what we ended up with.

The funniest thing is, I have mentioned trying to stay at a couple other DVC resorts in the future and it seems like my husband is not fond of this idea. The man who wasn't impressed with the room that first night now loves the Wilderness Lodge!

Never been to the Wilderness Lodge - I rented points for our upcoming April trip! Great thread you all have going here!

We've had a room on the ground floor in just about that same location. . .perhaps one or two rooms to the left of the picture. We didn't find the noise too obtrusive. As for the new pool, the "crane thingy," according to the backstory it's part of the whole quarry thing associated with Boulder Ridge. In actuality, the Imagineers decided to reuse part of the Backlot Tour, so it wound up in the new pool. I'm not a huge fan of the new pool--it's too stark and sterile. I much preferred the "lost" Hidden Springs pool with the bubbles, the trees--its quiet nature. Hope the crowds die down and you have a great trip!

OHHHH. I booked 11 months out, and at that time, the quiet pool renovation was underway, or about to start. I have to say, over the past several months I've gotten more and more confused as I've heard more about the pool area changes (especially "the crane thingy"). Sleepydog25's post is the first explanation I've come across that kind of sheds light on the design decisions. Perhaps the timeline was a bit rushed?

I'm still excited to stay there! I've just been scratching my head over the quiet pool theme. Any guesses why they didn't go with a more Wilderness Lodge-y theme?

Never been to the Wilderness Lodge - I rented points for our upcoming April trip! Great thread you all have going here!

OHHHH. I booked 11 months out, and at that time, the quiet pool renovation was underway, or about to start. I have to say, over the past several months I've gotten more and more confused as I've heard more about the pool area changes (especially "the crane thingy"). Sleepydog25's post is the first explanation I've come across that kind of sheds light on the design decisions. Perhaps the timeline was a bit rushed?

I'm still excited to stay there! I've just been scratching my head over the quiet pool theme. Any guesses why they didn't go with a more Wilderness Lodge-y theme?

Here's what I've found about the back story for the Boulder Ridge Pool in the Disney Parks blog...

A sweeping re-imagination of the former Hidden Springs Pool area will help tell the richly layered backstory of Boulder Ridge. Boulder Ridge Cove will feature an expanded sun deck and zero-depth-entry pool in what appears to have been an abandoned rock quarry.

Such rejuvenating transformations were common in the Pacific Northwest following the mid-20th-century fading of the Transcontinental Railroad, as locals turned rails into trails – repurposing everything from bridges and tunnels to cranes and quarries. A nearby “Boulder Ridge Railway and Mining Co.” water tower will be among the pool area’s landmark reminders of its pioneering past, while a vintage mine cart supports the mining theme with an affectionate nod to Disney history.

In looking for this information, I also found a rumor that some of the props for the pool area were taken from the old Catastrophe Canyon scene at the defunct Backlot Tour. If so, I am suddenly liking that rusty water tower and crane much more! However, I have looked at a lot of pictures from Catastrophe Canyon scene and don't see our rusting tank and crane. :confused3

Granny, I've also looked through those online images of Catastrophe Canyon in hopes of raising my dislike of the crane but have not been able to find it, so as such, my opinion is that it's still ugly.
If they gave it some function, say for example it sent a fine spray of water over the pool once every 10 minutes, then that could have helped offset the loss of the bubblers. I'd be happy to accept it.

I think in time I'll grow to like it better. The wound is still too fresh, and they popped a rusty band-aid on it.

Last edited:
Granny, I've also looked through those online images of Catastrophe Canyon in hopes of raising my dislike of the crane but have not been able to find it, so as such, my opinion is that it's still ugly.
If they gave it some function, say for example it sent a fine spray of water over the pool once every 10 minutes, then that could have helped offset the loss of the bubblers. I'd be happy to accept it.

I think in time I'll grow to like it better. The wound is still too fresh, and they popped a rusty band-aid on it.

Exactly!

Here's what I've found about the back story for the Boulder Ridge Pool in the Disney Parks blog...

A sweeping re-imagination of the former Hidden Springs Pool area will help tell the richly layered backstory of Boulder Ridge. Boulder Ridge Cove will feature an expanded sun deck and zero-depth-entry pool in what appears to have been an abandoned rock quarry.

Such rejuvenating transformations were common in the Pacific Northwest following the mid-20th-century fading of the Transcontinental Railroad, as locals turned rails into trails – repurposing everything from bridges and tunnels to cranes and quarries. A nearby “Boulder Ridge Railway and Mining Co.” water tower will be among the pool area’s landmark reminders of its pioneering past, while a vintage mine cart supports the mining theme with an affectionate nod to Disney history.

In looking for this information, I also found a rumor that some of the props for the pool area were taken from the old Catastrophe Canyon scene at the defunct Backlot Tour. If so, I am suddenly liking that rusty water tower and crane much more! However, I have looked at a lot of pictures from Catastrophe Canyon scene and don't see our rusting tank and crane. :confused3

Thank you for sharing that info! I never would have known about a possible Catastrophe Canyon link. That "layered backstory" is...um...worthy of an abandoned rock quarry?

In any case, I feel better knowing that even some VWL Groupies aren't onboard with this particular element of the Lodge!

Most of you have read my story because it is recent...not to say you remember it, but it is well within the last year, so maybe...lol. In any case, I really think I fell in love with the idea of the Lodge a long time ago. I have been visiting Disney since I was 3 years old and I am 44 now. We haven't gone every year but I have been at least 16 times and its definitely possible that it is more. I honestly don't remember when I started first hearing about the Lodge but my uncle is very much a national parks guy and I've been to several myself (7 week road trip out west in 2002) so I probably took note of the design because of that. Also, my dad has always been a fan even though they have never stayed there. One year, my mom and I ate at WCC so I did visit the Lodge. I know we did a girls' only trip in 2007 so it had to have been then.

In any case, I have always wanted to stay at the Lodge but growing up we first did offsite, then moderates. In 2012 and 2016, we ended up at SSR (upping our game somewhat). We had booked VWL in between AoA and SSR for our June 2016 trip, but ultimately my mom chose SSR because we could park closer to the actual room. Finally, finally, finally for our June 2017 trip, I rented points from a friend/co-worker and decided it was time to try WL. My parents did not come in 2017 and my DH, having not visited Disney in 35 years and knowing how much I knew about it, left all the planning to me.

The moment we arrived, I thought it was wonderful and amazing but crazy enough, my DH wasn't impressed with the villas building nor the room on that first night. However, that was probably more due to the effects of driving several hours from Atlanta and the absolute horrid weather on that first night. Eventually, like by the next day...lol...his tune had changed and we started discussing DVC while we were there. Once we arrived home and got settled, I started looking for a resale contract at VWL (now, of course, BRV) that fit our needs and one showed up in July and we started the lengthy process of buying resale that was finally complete in September! My only regret is that another 100 point BRV contract showed up a month or so later that had a much better use year (it did cost $1 more per point but that was a drop in the bucket, really), so I think maybe I should have waited. But I, obviously, can't see into the future, so in the end we truly are satisfied with what we ended up with.

The funniest thing is, I have mentioned trying to stay at a couple other DVC resorts in the future and it seems like my husband is not fond of this idea. The man who wasn't impressed with the room that first night now loves the Wilderness Lodge!

Hmmm...well, I can say that if he is anything like me he probably likes predictability in things. I am a total creature of habit (and, Siri can confirm this — she tells me where I am going next all the time, just in case I forget). If I could, I would always stay at the lodge (or so I thought, until I went to California...) — my wife on the other hand keeps us hopping around. She loves AKV & Poly. So, for us DVC gives me Disney predictability & familiarity and my wife gets to choose different resorts & accommodation types — so it works good that way. Plus, I’ve been known to take some personal time on non-lodge trips to head on over to “get my fix” “and set for a spell”...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter