VWL - here now...am I a terrible person?

summabreeze85

Mouseketeer
Heya!
Half-way thru our week long stay at wilderness lodge. It's me (28 yrs old), my husband (33 yrs old), 11 month old son, and my parents (62 and 64) in a 1- bedroom.
JW what you guys would do in this situation: I made it perfectly clear before we invited my parents down that we were paying for this week, we'd be glad to have them join us, but we are staying in the bedroom. My husband and dad arrived yesterday so last night was my parents first night sleeping on the pull out sofa in the living room. They both woke up telling us how awful it was. My mom tossed and turned all night and barely got sleep. My dad said it was ruining his magic; lol. My husband and i feel bad about it but aren't sure what to do. I even checked if they could get a studio for the rest of the week but of course no availability.
Should we let them have the bed because they are old and miserable?
Part of me wants to say suck it up you knew the deal from the beginning. I'm paying for the room this is my vacation. Whenever we come down on their points we get stuck on the sleeper.
Also, we think it's really important to have our child with us wherever we sleep so we can take care of him (don't want my parents to feel like their responsible for him). And having him sleep in the living room w us just screws up the logistics w his 7:30 bedtime.
My husband offered to sleep on the floor so my mom could sleep with me but he refuses to sleep with my dad hah. I'm not letting him sleep on the floor though.
Oh yea I'm also 15 weeks pregnant, but I don't want to throw that out as the main reason I'm sleeping in the bed...or should I lol.
Honestly the bed isn't that comfortable to me I prefer them softer and this is on the hard side. And if sitting on the couch is any indication of how hard the sleeper is I wonder how my parents are getting any sleep at all. The newly refurbished rooms are great but those 2 things I wouldve made better.
Other than the sleeping arrangements the trip is awesome and heading to the parks tomorrow. Our first time spending longer than a few days here and it's great. I wish the main pool opened before 9 (never thought I'd say that one - man kids really do change your life). And I wish they had a beverage station to refill your mugs in the villas section.
That's it for now thanks in advance for responding...even if you think I'm a terrible person lol.
Alison

Hey! I'm 61 and I don't consider myself old (miserable, maybe). I'd tell them to suck it up unless there are some underlying medical conditions you didn't mention. They knew the deal going in. Some of us just like to complain and don't expect anything to be done to remedy it. We're simply whiners.

I would also tell them to suck it up. I let me parents have the bedroom years ago and regretted it. Early 60's is not all that ancient.

Next time you'll know to get them a studio.

A few options: See if management can bring in a more comfortable sofa sleeper? Can you try taking the mattress off the frame and just lay it on the floor and parents sleep there? Take turns sleeping on the bed each night? Check each day to see if a suite is available? Ask for extra blankets... place them between the mattress and frame on the pull out. Sometimes this makes it more comfortable. Or... suck it up? I am laying in my comfy bed right now but would go sleep on the uncomfortable pull out at Disney ANY DAY!!! Ha! Enjoy your trip and remember you are making family memories to last a lifetime!

Very simple. They are your parents. You make them as comfortable as possible. Even if that means letting them have the bed.

Hmm, that's a tough one. You told them in advance this was how it's going to be and you have a little one with you.

If the situation was reversed, would they switch with you, your husband, and your infant? I'm not saying the answer to that should guide you - but maybe it will make you feel better about whatever decision you make.

Heya!
Half-way thru our week long stay at wilderness lodge. It's me (28 yrs old), my husband (33 yrs old), 11 month old son, and my parents (62 and 64) in a 1- bedroom.
JW what you guys would do in this situation: I made it perfectly clear before we invited my parents down that we were paying for this week, we'd be glad to have them join us, but we are staying in the bedroom. My husband and dad arrived yesterday so last night was my parents first night sleeping on the pull out sofa in the living room. They both woke up telling us how awful it was. My mom tossed and turned all night and barely got sleep. My dad said it was ruining his magic; lol. My husband and i feel bad about it but aren't sure what to do. I even checked if they could get a studio for the rest of the week but of course no availability.
Should we let them have the bed because they are old and miserable?
Part of me wants to say suck it up you knew the deal from the beginning. I'm paying for the room this is my vacation. Whenever we come down on their points we get stuck on the sleeper.
Also, we think it's really important to have our child with us wherever we sleep so we can take care of him (don't want my parents to feel like their responsible for him). And having him sleep in the living room w us just screws up the logistics w his 7:30 bedtime.
My husband offered to sleep on the floor so my mom could sleep with me but he refuses to sleep with my dad hah. I'm not letting him sleep on the floor though.
Oh yea I'm also 15 weeks pregnant, but I don't want to throw that out as the main reason I'm sleeping in the bed...or should I lol.
Honestly the bed isn't that comfortable to me I prefer them softer and this is on the hard side. And if sitting on the couch is any indication of how hard the sleeper is I wonder how my parents are getting any sleep at all. The newly refurbished rooms are great but those 2 things I wouldve made better.
Other than the sleeping arrangements the trip is awesome and heading to the parks tomorrow. Our first time spending longer than a few days here and it's great. I wish the main pool opened before 9 (never thought I'd say that one - man kids really do change your life). And I wish they had a beverage station to refill your mugs in the villas section.
That's it for now thanks in advance for responding...even if you think I'm a terrible person lol.
Alison

We went to visit PopPop in Ft.Lauderdale when our eldest just turned 2. He had a 1 BR condo at the time with pull out sleeper sofa in the den. Anyway, it was a long trip from Orlando, I think about 4 hours and we arrived about 7:30 and our toddler was exhausted and fast asleep. He transferred well, set him up on the pull out and we waited for PopPop to come home from work. Anyway, in he walks at about 8:30, thrilled to see #1 grandson from out of town and he insists on waking him up. Oh he said he will go back to sleep immediately "like my four kids did"! He "jostled" him around, got our 2 yr old all "wild and crazy" then proceeded to say ok put him back to sleep and we can have some "quiet time". REALLY? Haha!:furious: In addition, since he was elderly, he kept his condo on the warm side, but had a ceiling fan in the den. OH, WHAT FUN!:furious: The three of us only got about 1 or 2 hours of sleep between the warmer room and the interruption of PopPop! In the morning, we politely explained what happened and said it was best for "more space" if we got a local hotel room. Guess what! That was the LAST TIME we ever slept there! Yes, we happy to see PopPop but on our terms...In the end, we had our own privacy and space with the kids at night and everyone was HAPPY!
IMO, Your parents knew the sleeping accommodations long before they accepted the invitation! If they are not comfortable, I think they should try to find a hotel room on property and if not, maybe off property!
They will be HAPPIER AND SO WILL YOU!:goodvibes
GOOD LUCK!:thumbsup2

Very simple. They are your parents. You make them as comfortable as possible. Even if that means letting them have the bed.

100% disagree. They knew they would be sleeping on a pull out. I think for them to even open their mouths about being uncomfortable is completely unfair. If I were the parents and my children offered to let me come along on a trip THEY were paying for there is NO WAY I would say one word about my discomfort.

Some of us just like to complain and don't expect anything to be done to remedy it. We're simply whiners.
I agree with this.

Maybe they aren't complaining so that you will do something about it . . . maybe they are just , well, complaining!

Maybe a queen size air mattress will fix the problem and then you can also use it when they use their points for trips in the future and you get the sleeper. They need to stick to the sleeper, it isn't fair to complain and always get your way while others suffer especially when you are family.

Interesting thread! I get the differing viewpoints expressed. I think it is highly individual as to which answer fits for your situation. In my case, I'd rather my mom had been brave enough to try Disney when I'd invited her despite her limitations and I'd of just had to deal with whatever difficulties came up rather her saying no every time and us never getting a trip with her. With my dad who is still living and might say yes if I offered now I already know ahead of time for his accommodation and for my own I have to be prepared to do what it takes for the health of our backs. So beds all around and plan B in the wings in case the mattresses are not good. I'm sure you'll figure out a way to honor your parents without destroying the rest of y'alls vacation.

Maybe a queen size air mattress will fix the problem and then you can also use it when they use their points for trips in the future and you get the sleeper. They need to stick to the sleeper, it isn't fair to complain and always get your way while others suffer especially when you are family.

I agree,, Have them run to walmart and pick up a blow up mattress. My folks use one in their camper for guests and it works fine. Then you dont even have to pull the couch out.
And if they have no morals, they can take it back at the end of the trip.:rolleyes1

Ask VWL if they offer egg crates...not sure if that would help. I am torn in this situation but I think I would give up the bed to the grandparents...just how I am. Though I do agree with those who say that the grands knew the deal going in and may just be venting.

I have a story. I booked a 2BR at OKW for Xmas of 2011. It was for me and DH and our 3 kids (13, 13 and 15 then) and MIL and FIL (upper 60s then). My plan was for MIL and FIL to have studio part and my 3 teens would sleep on pull-outs in living room...DH and I would have master bed. Not ideal to have 3 kids in living room but MIL and FIL could have their own space and DH and I would get master (with the jetted tub that I LOVE). We arrive and start to get settled and MIL and FIL insist we take the studio with our twin DDs as they would have a real bed then and only DS would have a pull-out. She thought she was doing nice for us and I didn't say anything and did as she suggested. But I really wanted the king bed and jetted tub...and not to have my 2 noisy late nighter DDs next to me. Then, we realize, as we were on that corner of building 14 (I think it was) on the bottom floor where the HH bus stop was a straight shot to our front window and I was woken to bus noise at 0'dark thirty, that the studio part of that 2BR villa sucked. We did Xmas 2013 at AKV and we got our own 2BR and we got FIL and MIL their own 1BR....much better.

This. :thumbsup2

OP, you have a great husband. :goodvibes

Hope you all are continuing to have a lovely vacation. Have fun. :goodvibes

Echo the posts in favor of putting the pullout mattress or a blowup on the floor. We did that for DD6 on our last trip to VWL because the squeaky pull out kept her awake.

I'm a 63 year young grandma. If I had a free place to sleep at Disney, of course I would want my pregnant daughter to be comfortable, I would never ask her and her husband to give up their bed.

They have their own points - they should have had a clue about the sleeper sofa - and the arrangement was spelled out in advance. There is almost certainly a room at Disney right now - maybe not at VWL on points - but on the hotel side, or at another resort if they are that desperate for a real bed, they will go ahead and book it.

At fifteen weeks pregnant with a toddler, YOU get the bed that YOU paid for.

OP, what did you end up deciding? I tend to see both sides of an issue so curious how this turned out. Regardless, hope you are all having the best time ever! Also, congrats on the baby!

:) I say wear the grandparents down and make them sleep on the sofa...they are old and Disney will make them tired. The first night is the hardest....then you are so tired you could sleep in the tub...on top of a towel of course.

I am sorry and yes I am kidding...

In my own mind, ethically, remember my own ethics here...I would have to give my parents (currently 71 and 76) the bed. However being pregnant kinda one ups that I suppose. :confused:

I have often thought at some point DH and I could pull off a 1 bedroom with them in the bedroom and us on the sleeper sofa....but realistically that would be horrible because DH and I together weigh A LOT and are used to sleeping on a king....plus we use CPAPs ( dualing CPAPs). I could loose weight and so could DH but that isn't what this thread is about, making us more comfortable on the pull out bed and eliminating the need for CPAPs. :rolleyes1 My Daddy snores, always has, and Mama takes Ambien on occasion. Daddy cannot hear thunder and refuses to get a hearing aid...so his snoring doesn't bother him and Mama is used to it after 49 years...she refills her Ambien and sleeps through the snoring. I can hear him snoring when I stay at their house over my CPAP . :rolleyes: I know this going in...

I love my MIL (72) and she loves me. However she is very independent and needs her space. I know this going in...when she and I have traveled together (with no DH) we do stay in the same room (double beds of course)...but I no longer snore and she appreciates my CPAP. She doesn't move when she sleeps and often I have to use a mirror to see if she is still breathing...my BIL often meets us at Disney and sleeps on her double bed...he uses a mirror too at times. Yep, it is that creepy....and we are all aware of this and laugh about it on occasion as crazy, close families will do. I know this going in...

Therefore...you have sealed our fates at Disney World...I use to think I could swing the one bedroom, enjoy a full kitchen and pack less because I would have the washer and dryer...but nope...we will just have to realize that we are studio people when we invite my parents and MIL/BIL.

We get one and they get one...forever, always...damn:sad2:

At fifteen weeks pregnant with a toddler, YOU get the bed that YOU paid for.

This!!

My parents are joining us for a few days at VB next spring and while I offered to book a 1 bed and give them the pull out couch, they opted to book their own room with cash. They know they won't enjoy a pull out couch, and I don't have enough points left for a 2 bed.

And besides, I used up all my best daughter in the world energy when I gave them the master suite in our 2 bedroom stateroom on the Magic month ;)

Seriously though I completely get the need for a room with a door for bedtime with a tiny person. That's the only reason I can't offer them the bedroom at VB and they totally get that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter