VWL Mercantile

mkkim

Mouseketeer
We are heading home (VWL) for the first time as DVC members in November. With us will be family (staying at the Lodge) that do not want to stop for groceries. I know I can use the costly grocery service provided by Disney or "net grocer" as some others have used (and I just might this time). But can anyone tell me if the Mercantile at the Lodge carries items such as eggs, milk and bread. I've stayed at the lodge numerous times but never paid any attention to these items. Thank you for your help!

:)

Yes, the Mercantile did have basics such as eggs, bread, and milk. They also had cereal, I think $5 a box, lunchmeat, and cheeses. There was also fruit and some frozen meals.

I was hoping that I could just run over and pick up the basics without calling for delivery of these items. We are mostly concerned about breakfasts and some lunches in the room. We will have to plan for a grocery trip on our next visit! :)

There is a grocery store close by if you prefer to pay at home prices for the simple things. It is outside WDW but the prices are worth the hour it takes to go shopping.

I would probably have to take a taxi to the store since I won't have a car on this trip. We are traveling with 10 people and taking a van from the airport. I am trying to figure out how to get the basic items without costly transportation! Not an easy mission. On our next trip we will definitely have our own wheels! Thanks for the advice!

They also have my favorites, Mickey Bars. If I could only get these at home. Have a great trip.

I'm not sure which shuttle you are taking but it seems like once you are over 3 or 4 people you are better off getting a limo. My friends used the Tiffany Towncar service (www.mousesavers.com) because it will give you a grocery stop on your trip in. They had 2 toddlers, 1 child and 5 adults.

Yes, that's we we plan on doing. A van from TTC. But... the other family members are anxious to get to the Lodge and since they are not staying at VWL (they will be at the Lodge) they are not too interested in stopping at the Grocery store. Next time they will be staying with us at VWL, so I am sure they will want to stop then! Thanks!

The grocery stop will take so little time if you have planned out what you need. I would strongly press for the grocery stop. the 1/2 to 1 hour it will take is miniscule in the large scheme of things. Also, try taking some of the staples in your suitcase. We usually pack cereal and other staples in our suitcase. The only thing we have purchased at the on-site store is milk and an occational "Mickey" bar!

Darcy, from Tiffany, stopped at a medium sized grocery store that's just a couple blocks off the main road into WDW (sorry, I can't recall the name, but it wasn't one of the major ones that I've read about). With the few things you need, you could be in and out in 20 minutes, tops. Prices there may not be the lowest, but they're lower than VWL Mercantile, and you'll have a lot more selection, including fresh fruit.
A 12 ounce box of cereal really WAS $5.00!!!! (I brought mine from home.)
Just got back from our first visit home and it exceeded our expectations. Now that we've experience a one bedroom with our own washer/dryer, it's tough to think about smaller accomodations. It's a whole new kind of luxury. Have a great trip!

Thank you all so much for your input! I think I may try to convince the family that a grocery stop will not be so bad. We are traveling with a few very young children and I think that is the biggest concern (no patience!). I did worry about having fresh fruit which we really enjoy. I was also thinking about filling a backpack with cereal, coffee and snacks. I need to see how creative I can get! I really don't want to spend 5.00 on a box of Cheerios! And yes... those Mickey Bars are the best!

Just kidding, but the eggs were the only thing I thought were pretty reasonable. I think they were 1.29 a dozen.

Muushka

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter