waitlist in dec

disneykins

DIS Veteran
I have 12 nights booked in December, then waitlisted 1 night (Jan. 1) and then 3 nights booked. First 4 at SSR, the rest at OKW. I just got a price for 1 night at OKW of $269 from SWA websit. Should I book it or wait for my waitlist to come through?

If they have rooms available through SWA why cant I book one with points? I'm sure there's a simple answer but I dont know what it is.

Thanks,

Tony

disneykins said:
I have 12 nights booked in December, then waitlisted 1 night (Jan. 1) and then 3 nights booked. First 4 at SSR, the rest at OKW. I just got a price for 1 night at OKW of $269 from SWA websit. Should I book it or wait for my waitlist to come through?

If they have rooms available through SWA why cant I book one with points? I'm sure there's a simple answer but I dont know what it is.

Thanks,

Tony
The inventory of rooms available for members to book with their points is completely separate from the inventory of rooms that are available to be booked for cash. It is not uncommon for cash rooms to be available when points rooms are not (and vice versa).

At the DVC resorts, the cash inventory comes from these sources:

1. Disney retains ownership of a small percentage of the resort. If the room nights represented by Disney's share of the resort are not needed for administrative purposes, they can and are rented by CRO/WDWTC to the general public for cash.

2. Developer inventory. These are the room nights that represent the portion of the resort that has not yet been sold. Until they are sold (declared into the condominium) these rooms belong to the developer who sends them to CRO/WDWTC to rent to the general public. They do not yet belong to the members.

3. Trades by DVC members. This is the largest share of the rooms available for cash from CRO/WDWTC. When a member uses points to reserve a non-DVC option like a cruise on the DCL or a stay at the GF, DVC sends the equivalent number of room nights over to CRO to rent for cash. The proceeds (after CRO takes a cut for doing the work) are used by DVC to pay for the Member's trade. You can see why these rooms are not available to members to book on points - they've been "traded" for something else.

Hope that helps you understand why rooms are still availabel for cash and not for points. And I hope that last night you need comes through for you soon.

Best wishes -

My Waitlest Cam Through Today For Dec 11. Woooot. But They Called Me & Said There Was A 1 Br Open For Fri & Sat.

Carol, Thanks for the explanation--very easy to understand. Would OKW still have developer inventory? I'm assuming everything there has been sold already.

Thanks again

Tony

disneykins said:
Carol, Thanks for the explanation--very easy to understand. Would OKW still have developer inventory? I'm assuming everything there has been sold already.

Thanks again

Tony
I tend to think of the contracts Disney buys back under its ROFR as "developer inventory". But those would represent only a very small amount for any of the sold out DVC resorts - OKW, BWV, VWL, BCV, HHI & VB.

Thus, only SSR has a significant number of rooms in the "developer inventory" category.

Best wishes -

I would wait. My waitlist just came through today for Dec. 27 - Jan 1. I was willing to take a studio or BR anywhere but WLV, and got a 1 BR at SSR. This will be my first stay there! I did not think anything would come through so soon for the holidays. I am HAPPY!

Jan

My waitlist came thru for Dec 11thru 14 OKW. :banana: :Pinkbounc :banana:

Hi Carol,

We are still waiting for a 2 BDR at BCV for Dec. 6, but it is available for cash. I read your explanation above and that makes sense. What I'm wondering is whether the room could sit vacant if its not sold or do they at some point (at 7 days out for instance) allow them to be rented with points? Probably not based on the explanation you gave, but I'm looking for any spark of hope.

Christine & family said:
Hi Carol,

We are still waiting for a 2 BDR at BCV for Dec. 6, but it is available for cash. I read your explanation above and that makes sense. What I'm wondering is whether the room could sit vacant if its not sold or do they at some point (at 7 days out for instance) allow them to be rented with points? Probably not based on the explanation you gave, but I'm looking for any spark of hope.
Sometimes MS can make good things happen. Call every day after your waitlist expires (7 days prior to arrival). I believe (have no evidence) that occasionally, MS calls CRO and somehow "trades" another night for the one the member wants. No guarantees and it may not even be possible (12/6 is a MVMCP night), but if you are in a position to wait until the last minute (have a back up that can be cancelled without penalty), you at least have a sliver of hope. Hope it works out for you.

Best wishes -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter