Walk Up @ Ohana?

MNCruzn

An island of testosterone in a sea of estrogen...
I've been trying to get a Dinner ADR at Ohana for the week of August 25, and EVERYTHING is taken, except for two 9:30pm options, which doesn't work for our family of four.

So, any thoughts on the possibility of getting in by just doing a Walk Up?

We usually are early eaters, so my thought would be to show up at 4:30p (or thereabout), and try to be "first on the list" when they open at 5p.

Has anyone tried this? Has it worked?

Any and all thoughts are apprecaited! :thumbsup2

Yeah, NO. This is during free dining . Everyone and their grandmother want to have dinner at Ohana, and I'll bet hard cash that there will be a long walkup line in front of the podium every afternoon. And the overflow and those turned away will head straight to Kona Cafe, which will probably also be booked up for the evening as well.

The problem with going during free dining is that you pretty much HAVE to have your ADRs booked ahead of time or spend a lot of time on your smart phone looking for open tables at some of the more "out of the way" places.

I'd go ahead and book an ADR for an alternate restaurant and then just keep checking daily for a cancellation at Ohana.

We've gone that last week of August leading into Labor Day weeken the last two years. 'Ohana ADRs are practically impossible to get that week. I'd say you will probably be wasting your time trying to get a walk-up. If you really want to get into 'Ohana, you'll need to stalk the August cancellation thread and the WDW dining website. In checking the WDW dining site, I've found the best time to pick up those hard-to-get ADRs from cancellations is very early in the morning (6am or so).

you would have to get there when the restaurant opens for dinner, but then wait and hope you could get a walk in reservation. ( the past 2 times we were there.. the walk up line didnt move at all.) -- they were still there after we had finished.

I would checking everyday... we got in a few times by doing this.[

good luck!

Usually during this "free dining" time period they do not maintain a waiting list and will simply tell people they are fully booked and not taking walk ups. We have seen this happen at many places that are not nearly as busy as Ohana.

Frankly, I would skip it anyone as I find it to be one of the most over rated establishments at Disney. Kona is much better or select another of the monorail resort TS for dinner. Reservations will be hard to get during this time period anyway for most TS.

Book what you can and just keep trying!! It has been known to happen!

If the 9pm ADR is b/c of small children, go back to the room and swim and take a nap in the afternoon so you can go to Ohanas. Its defanitely worth it IMHO! Its a family fave and we do it every single year since 2005

I do agree tho its going to be impossible to do walk ups during FD

Check again at the 45 day mark, or shortly before that. People who book vacations directly with Disney have to cancel prior to 45 days before the start of their vacation in order to get their deposit back. If people need to cancel their vacations, they're going to cancel their ADR at Ohana's as well so that they don't get charged.

Another thing to remember is that Ohana is now a CC guaranteed restaurants so they are going to have few no shows (if any at all). The guarantee sort of makes it much harder for them to sit walkups because every table is booked as an ADR.

Just keep trying for a reservation daily, even while there. However, I would not count on getting a walkup. If you want to try, go for it because you never really know. I am not saying it is impossible depending on the variables... I am just saying don't count on it and have a back up plan if you do try.

I've been trying to get a Dinner ADR at Ohana for the week of August 25, and EVERYTHING is taken, except for two 9:30pm options, which doesn't work for our family of four.

We usually are early eaters, so my thought would be to show up at 4:30p (or thereabout), and try to be "first on the list" when they open at 5p.

I have 3 thoughts.
So many people were trying to do this very thing at 4:30 in the afternoon, they had to modify the checkin line process. Everyone without an ADR tries this and very few succeed.
If there was space you would be able to book it.
Since it is now a credit card guarantee, there are going to be very, very few no shows, which are the folks that allow for the few walk ups.
I would book something else for that night.

Stalk the August cancelled ADR thread! You should be able to snag one. I was able to 2 years in a row doing this. Here's the link. As you can see, there has already been a couple for O'Hana that would have worked for you and your party.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883868&page=2

Keep trying -- we are leaving in less than a month and I just found what I was looking for last week. I was told that one-month out is a good time to check since package fees are due then and people cancel their trips. Also, now that there is a penalty for being a "no-show" it's easier to find cancellations. :)

We also are early diners and eat at Ohana every trip. We've only made ressies for two of those trips. We have always shown up at about 4:15pm of the evening we want to eat, and have always gotten in. We are usually first in line. As a pp stated, they did change the line up to the next corner, and have two lines. One for ressies, one without. They were seating a few, but we were called so quickly that we didn't notice how many got in early. We had 5:05pm ressies this time (April), so did not test the standbys. We were told a few years ago that they never reserve the restaurant 100% but save some for walk ups. We had asked as an individual restaurant after being let in as a walk up, but yet, like you, could not make ressies. If you keep trying and can't make a ressie, I would say it's definitely worth trying for a walk up (just be first). You would then, after waiting a set length of time, be early enough to find a meal elsewhere for that evening, if the waiting was getting long. We have gone even during "free" dining and have always gotten in. :goodvibes

I would say your chances are about as good as having the fab five greeting you i your room when you check in. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I wouldnt let this make you that upset, i personally think Ohana for Dinner is WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY overrated. I did not care for it at all. Breakfast on the other hand is awesome.

we wanted breakfast for sept 3 booked solid when my reservation was able to book adr but i looked every day and got one for 9am check many times a day something will open up

Echoing the above, for the most part ;).

Free Dining Plans + Ohana = VERY packed restaurant and limited Walk-up availability. Plus, with the CC Guarantee, there's much less chance for no shows.

HOWEVER, with the CC guarantee, there's much MORE chance for last minute cancellations. Keep checking when you are down there, especially later in the evenings leading up to the day you want to go. Book a backup just in case and plan to eat at that backup, but keep trying just the same.

I'd book something else, but keep trying for Ohana.

Ohana is a tough ADR to get, but your trip is a few months away, so you may get lucky if you keep trying. Good luck!

I would say book the 9:30 show up at 8:30 and hope you might get seated a bit earlier. Do not attempt walk up,you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. We have tried walk up a couple of times ended up eating at Captain Cook's, not bad, but not what we were hoping for. We waited in line for 40 minutes as we were the next in line nothing happened so we left and when we were finished with dinner the people that were standing behind us were still in line. We were also told by the hostess that the worst time to show up for 'Ohana walkup is when they first open (usually 5:00pm). Things tend to thin out more the later it gets. This was before the hold charges.

I successfully walked up to Ohana this past January (After New Year's but before man schools were back in session). We got there right at 5 and waited 20-30 minutes for a party of 2. That said, this was right before the new CC garuntee was in place (and still during holiday upcharge pricing), which could affect the possibility of success.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter