Walkie Talkies for the parks

marley

DIS Veteran
Any suggestions on walkie talkies that really work effectively in the parks? The ones my parents bought us last year picked up everyone regardless of how many channels I switched them.

thanks!

The portable walkie talkies are very common in the parks. Even with several hundred possible combination of frequencies and codes, you can hear other people conversations. We have a set but have resisted bringing them to the parks. One guy in line was talking to several different groups and getting reports from all over the park. According to him, his radio would reach from MGM to BWVs.

We brought Motorola Talk-Abouts but ended up abandoning the idea of using them. There are so many people using radios that you get constant traffic.

We used our Motorola talkabout T6220's in December all over Disney World. They have the 38 sub-codes and only once did we get someone on our channel. They worked out great and we could call each other all the way across the park. Just make sure that you get a radio that has the 38 sub-codes to minimize the chance of someone being on your channel. Also it is a good idea to have some back up channels in mind to switch to when you get someone on yours.

We have the Motorola FR60 with the subchannels and they saved our trip!! they worked great and not once we got anyone inour channel but do have some as a backup.

We bought a pair of "cheapies" for our recent trip, and they were fantastic. We heard other people a couple of times, but that was it!

they were so nice to have. EVen though we never split up very much, it was great to have even if my DH wanted to get a drink or shop while I took the girls for a "Potty break"!
Several times we went in different directions in places like Innoventions, but we were never more than a call away from each other.

One afternoon I forgot to bring them, and I thought I'd lose my mind, trying to keep track of my DH!!! LOL

We used Motorola Talk-Abouts in March 2000, August 2000, and October 2001. They have the 38 subchannels. Occasionally we heard someone else and would switch to our back-up channel. Now I refuse to go without them. They belonged to a friend of mine, so I must buy my own this month for our February Trip!!! They are first on my list!!!

dkfogt - You were at the park in October. Could you give me an idea of the crowds? We are going Oct 2002 and are wondering if this will be a really crowed time of year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter