"Walking" Reservations

missy2217

Mouseketeer
I have heard this used here on the boards and have no idea what it means. Can someone please explain?:confused3

Assume you want to go Dec 25 to Jan 1. You can call 11 months out on Jan 25 and make that reservation. However, it is possible that those who have start dates to their vacation beginning before Dec 25 may have already called and booked Dec 25.

Since you can book 7 nights at a time, what some will do in that situation is call Jan 19 and book Dec 19 to Dec 26. On Jan 20, they will call and drop the night of Dec 19 and add the night of the 26. Next day call and cancel the 20th and add the night of Dec 27, and continue doing that untill they have Dec 25 to Jan 1. Thus, you have "walked" the reservation until you have the actual nights you want and avoided someone blocking you out from a night by calling with an arrival date before yours.

Generally, walking is not needed but it could be to get something like AKV concierge or Grand Villas during very high demand times like Christmas week.

Let's say you want to stay at a tough to get resort at a tough to get time frame. Let's use December 25 - 28 as an example. You could actually make a reservation at the 7 or 11 month window for maybe December 21 - 28 (since you can reserve for 7 days), then in a few months cancel the December 21 - 24 portion.

Personally I don't think it is ethical to do this, but that's me!

How does this help you? I'm confused on this. I just called the other day looking for reservations from Dec 26th to Jan 1st. I was able to get Dec 26th to Dec 30th and Dec 31st to Jan 1st, but am waitlisted for the night of the 30th....are you saying I would have had better luck getting all my nights if I would have asked for more nights?

You would most likely have gotten exactly what you wanted if you started calling before Jan 26 and began the process of walking the reservation. Again, it is not usually needed but Christmas is the highest demand week of the year.

I cannot agree it is unethical since it is an activity allowed and available to anyone (although I have had no need to use it). The thing that amazed me is that when DVC announced a couple years ago the change from being able to book 11 months in advance from date of departure from WDW to being able to book 7 nights 11 months in advance from date of arrival, it took only about a day for someone on these boards to come up with the concept of walking. The brain power on these boards is amazing.

How does this help you? I'm confused on this. I just called the other day looking for reservations from Dec 26th to Jan 1st. I was able to get Dec 26th to Dec 30th and Dec 31st to Jan 1st, but am waitlisted for the night of the 30th....are you saying I would have had better luck getting all my nights if I would have asked for more nights?

Below is an example of walking your reservation for your dates:

For instance, you wanted December 26th to January 1st. If you would have called January 20, and there was availability for the 7 nights of December 20 to December 26, you could then call January 24 and it would be guaranteed you could add Dec 27, 28 & 29, cancel December 20, 21, 22 and 23. Then call January 28 to add 30, 31 and Jan 1, cancel Dec 24 and 25.

While I personally don't care for the idea of walking, it is allowed. It is working the system, but I wouldn't consider it unethical.

IMO, walking only makes sense if you call as soon as the 11 month window opens. It is not necessary for most times of the year.

I have never walked a reservation, but am considering it since I will be trying for AKL Concierge next year.

I will be reserving with 2010 points and possibly having to borrow 2011 if I reserve a full seven nights. A couple of questions:

1. In order to begin the walking process, is it necessary to secure the entire 7 days (say, that I actually only need 5 nights on my actual stay). If I am able to snag a reservation for 3 or 4 days, can I start with that and then add to it as it gets closer to my actual time??

2. If I do have to borrow 2011 points in order to have enough points to book 7 nights, I assume MS can reallocate points usage year later. For example, I borrow 34 2011 points to book 7 nights. Then later change the reservation to 5 nights, decreasing my needed points. I would still be within my banking window, so I could use the 2011 "borrowed" points toward the reservation and then bank the remaining 2010 points into 2011 year. Am I correct?

3. If I am trying to get concierge around a popular time (not necessarily Christmas or Easter though), how soon should I begin the walking process?

Thanks for any help. We had concierge in 2009 and loved it, especially the Safari.

I have never walked a reservation, but am considering it since I will be trying for AKL Concierge next year.

I will be reserving with 2010 points and possibly having to borrow 2011 if I reserve a full seven nights. A couple of questions:

1. In order to begin the walking process, is it necessary to secure the entire 7 days (say, that I actually only need 5 nights on my actual stay). If I am able to snag a reservation for 3 or 4 days, can I start with that and then add to it as it gets closer to my actual time??

2. If I do have to borrow 2011 points in order to have enough points to book 7 nights, I assume MS can reallocate points usage year later. For example, I borrow 34 2011 points to book 7 nights. Then later change the reservation to 5 nights, decreasing my needed points. I would still be within my banking window, so I could use the 2011 "borrowed" points toward the reservation and then bank the remaining 2010 points into 2011 year. Am I correct?

3. If I am trying to get concierge around a popular time (not necessarily Christmas or Easter though), how soon should I begin the walking process?

Thanks for any help. We had concierge in 2009 and loved it, especially the Safari.

No, you don't have to do 7 nights out. However, I believe it works best when you do as you are booking the first possible times.

If you need to borrow points to do this, and then drop nights, MS will use the "borrowed" points and allow you to bank the current UY points. Just make sure you remind them to do it this way and check your account when done.

I personally don't think that walking is necessary except around Christmas time. But, if you want to do it, I would start 7 days prior to your real check in day.

For example, say you really want to stay February 10th - February 15th. Instead of calling on March 10th (your 11 month window), you call March 3rd and book Feb 3rd through the 10th. Then, on March 9th, you call amend your reservation, by dropping the 3rd through the 8th, and adding the 10th through the 15th. At some point, you can then call back and drop the night of the 9th.

Below is an example of walking your reservation for your dates:

For instance, you wanted December 26th to January 1st. If you would have called January 20, and there was availability for the 7 nights of December 20 to December 26, you could then call January 24 and it would be guaranteed you could add Dec 27, 28 & 29, cancel December 20, 21, 22 and 23. Then call January 28 to add 30, 31 and Jan 1, cancel Dec 24 and 25.

While I personally don't care for the idea of walking, it is allowed. It is working the system, but I wouldn't consider it unethical.

so this is very interesting i own at akv but want to go to the bcv oct 2 a sat and stay 8 nights i know i would have to book 7 then the next day try to add on last day but was told busy due to food and wine which is part of our wanting to go then also your thoughts on this walking thing in my case???? really would love that big pool and easy walk to epcot each night for dinner or such really cant wait to go .... ty for any thoughts from anyone and ask i cancel the first day and then all the next 7th day do my points all stay avail so i can keep canceling 1st day for the 7th??

so this is very interesting i own at akv but want to go to the bcv oct 2 a sat and stay 8 nights i know i would have to book 7 then the next day try to add on last day but was told busy due to food and wine which is part of our wanting to go then also your thoughts on this walking thing in my case???? really would love that big pool and easy walk to epcot each night for dinner or such really cant wait to go .... ty for any thoughts from anyone and ask i cancel the first day and then all the next 7th day do my points all stay avail so i can keep canceling 1st day for the 7th??

Walking reservations at the 7 month window does not really work the same way it would at 11 months as there are already rooms booked for those dates by members who own there.

When you walk at 11 months, it works because you have the room and the first day someone can book is your check out day. Since you would be calling to extend before that date, you are automatically guaranteed the room.

I walked at 7 monthsf or a Thanksgiving week reservation this past year after having a hard time getting the reservation the year prior. I don't conisder it unethical since I told MS up front that I was doing it and the person said they also recommended it for the time frame I wanted. Other than a highly popular time period, I don't plan on walking as I have not had problems getting what I wanted at 11 or 7 months.

I walked at 7 monthsf or a Thanksgiving week reservation this past year after having a hard time getting the reservation the year prior. I don't conisder it unethical since I told MS up front that I was doing it and the person said they also recommended it for the time frame I wanted. Other than a highly popular time period, I don't plan on walking as I have not had problems getting what I wanted at 11 or 7 months.

I don't consider it unethical, either. I just think it's a complete waste of time at 7 months (for MS and the member) 999 out of 1000 times and for that 1 time, you really never know if you were just lucky or if it truly made a difference.

I think it is a waste of time at 11 months for almost every villa type and almost all weeks of the year. Why walk if you can get what you want with one call?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter