Walkway from Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom

From the GF to the canal where the Water Parade floats are stored is pretty swampy. Nice habitat for gators.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/07/walkway-from-grand-floridian-resort-to-magic-kingdom-under-development/

Well, it’s finally happening. The walkway everyone has been waiting for is finally happening. According to a permit filed with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, a project labeled “Grand Floridian to MK Walkway“ is in the works.
grand-floridian-resort-and-spa-00-full.jpg

As many guests to Disney World have noticed, a pathway from the Magic Kingdom has long extended to the Electrical Water Pageant but not beyond to the Grand Floridian.
This walkway, if built, would allow guests to walk from the Polynesian Resort and Grand Floridian Resort to walk to the Magic Kingdom without taking the monorail.

Has anyone been lately? We’ll be going Saturday. It’s two of us so fingers crossed we don’t get the gate table.
https://*****.com/2019/07/walkway-from-grand-floridian-resort-to-magic-kingdom-under-development/

Well, it’s finally happening. The walkway everyone has been waiting for is finally happening. According to a permit filed with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, a project labeled “Grand Floridian to MK Walkway“ is in the works.

As many guests to Disney World have noticed, a pathway from the Magic Kingdom has long extended to the Electrical Water Pageant but not beyond to the Grand Floridian.
This walkway, if built, would allow guests to walk from the Polynesian Resort and Grand Floridian Resort to walk to the Magic Kingdom without taking the monorail.

Thank you. I enjoy walking and this would be an easy walk for me. Wish it was open next month when we attend the MK AH event since we will be staying at GFVs. Guess I just need to book another trip LOL

https://*****.com/2019/07/walkway-from-grand-floridian-resort-to-magic-kingdom-under-development/

Glad it's going to be happening. We love walking so will probably choose this option quite a bit. :) Wouldn't stay but for Poly stays for us will be great having the option!

I like having the option.

Didn’t Disney order new monorails? Maybe Disney is anticipating the monorails being down for a while when they arrive.

Although farther than you may think, I totally agree. I know they store the water parade floats down the canal there butI still think they can and should have a walking bridge that can just open as required. There must be some other issues as it seems obvious.
I couldn't agree more, a walkway would be wonderful.

I'm curious-does anyone know how long before this might become a reality? Is fall 2020 a strong possibility? Or is it a "maybe in 4-5 years"?

I'm curious-does anyone know how long before this might become a reality? Is fall 2020 a strong possibility? Or is it a "maybe in 4-5 years"?

They don't typically file permits years in advance for "small" projects and a lot of the base is in place. I think the permits usually have an end date too? I haven't looked at what was filed but I'd just guess within the year sometime.

I like having the option.

Didn’t Disney order new monorails? Maybe Disney is anticipating the monorails being down for a while when they arrive.
From what I recall reading on the News and Rumor board, the answer is no. They chose the vendor (Bombardier), but haven’t ordered. Possibly because the existing monorail beams aren’t the same size as the new standard.
Even if they did order, the 5 year estimated order arrival is likely to be delayed an additional 5+ years because Bombardier is known to be terrible at hitting any train construction targets.

There is a crane next to the canal that the EWP floats use(on the western shore), seemingly to start on the bridge. I would imagine it would take a little bit of time to construct the two needed bridge, particularly that one. If I had to guess I would say first half of 2020. My assumption would be this is all part of the MK entrance overhaul project, and that will certainly be done by the 50th.

Photo from www.Blogmickey.com

"Anywhere is walking distance if you have the time" - Stephen Wright

@_auroraborealis_ is there a place outside of MK one can find these consenting broads....i am intrigued :rotfl2:

Attachments

• grand-floridian-walkway-construction-magic-kingdom-2-1068x712.jpg
    grand-floridian-walkway-construction-magic-kingdom-2-1068x712.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
From what I recall reading on the News and Rumor board, the answer is no. They chose the vendor (Bombardier), but haven’t ordered. Possibly because the existing monorail beams aren’t the same size as the new standard.
Even if they did order, the 5 year estimated order arrival is likely to be delayed an additional 5+ years because Bombardier is known to be terrible at hitting any train construction targets.
I only have second hand news, but accounting regulations require companies to list big orders like this on their filings, and Bombardier has yes to do so - IE Disney has not ordered monorails from Bombardier. Perhaps they snowballed us all and went with a different vendor? (Damn that is wishful thinking)

The monorails are such an iconic part - and are just showing there age. With doors opening while in transit, its only a matter of time something before something bad happens.

I am so excited for the walkway!! Going in Jan, but this probably won't be done.

Last night I saw pictures of the crane and they also have started on assembling the steel framework for at least one of the bridges. I definitely think it'll be done relatively soon in construction terms - ie by fall of 2020. I expect it much sooner actually.

I’m thrilled about this walkway. We regularly use the walkway from BWV to HS and it seems like this will be a similar distance and totally doable. It would make a really nice running trail too. We bought VGF without considering the possibility of this happening since we just love the resort, but this makes it so much better in our eyes.

Am I the only one who thinks that there might be another resort going in just north of the Grand Floridian. They just fixed the road, now a walkway. There is enough land and it would have access to the monorail. Just saying.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter