Walt Disney Question

d-r

<font color=red>l|ll|||ll||ll||<font color=purple>
This isn't really a rumor or news, but there isn't a triva board I could find, and there is good collective knowledge here.

Recently my wife Melissa noticed a statue of a doberman pincher in the display of Walt's formal office at the Walt Disney Story/ Sound Dangerous with Mr. Lincoln attraction at the main street opera house at disneyland. We asked the tour CM about it and she said she hadn't noticed it before, but it caught her interest. A couple of other CMs that she asked about it had some information about it. They said that it was fashionable at the time to have a statue of a dog, and that Walt was alergic to dogs and so they did not have a family pet - so that this statue of a doberman was Walt's to guard his office in lieu of having a real dog.

But we were watching the Walt Disney Story that repeated on A & E last night, and in it there was footage of Walt giving Lillie a Chow puppy in a box, and Walt was petting and playing with the puppy....so was he allergic to dogs or not? And it looks like they had at least one family dog....

I think the basis of our curiosity is that we often wonder what kind of dog Pluto is...although Mickey (and therefore Walt) once told Pete "Ahhh, he's just a mut," we wonder if there was a real dog that served as a model for Pluto - think of all the wild life that they brought into the studio for Bambi, for instance. We wonder if there was a real dog that served as a character reference, but we've been told that Walt didn't have a pet.

Again, off topic, but not more so than other posts I guess (maybe the rumor is that Walt was allergic to dogs)- any insights?

DR

I don't think he was allergic to dogs because I remember on many occasions seeing Walt bend down and pet a dog while introducing a segment on Wonderful World of Disney. (Especially the animal ones.) I remember one in particular where Walt was holding up a beagle and it was licking him on the face and mouth and Walt looked fine with it. I bet the statue is of some dog from his past.

Roy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter