Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Thank you so much for your review!!!! I was asking more about Dolphin vs Swan, but I find this info even more helpful since we haven't stayed at the YC either!

I love having a balcony, which is never a guarantee with Swan and Dolphin. Unless Swan drops significantly, we will likely stay with YC. :)
Sorry, I've never stayed at the Dolphin.

What kind of room do you have reserved at the YC (standard view, garden view, etc.)? If you have either garden view or lagoon view reserved, request a "wedding gazebo view."

Sorry, I've never stayed at the Dolphin.

What kind of room do you have reserved at the YC (standard view, garden view, etc.)? If you have either garden view or lagoon view reserved, request a "wedding gazebo view."

It's a lagoon view. We are hoping to have a view of the Boardwalk across the lake. Will the wedding gazebo view provide that?

It's a lagoon view. We are hoping to have a view of the Boardwalk across the lake. Will the wedding gazebo view provide that?
Yes...definitely request the wedding gazebo view, and you will have a beautiful view of the Boardwalk, which sparkles at night. That location will also place you very close to the FriendShip boat dock. If you want a balcony and not a patio, request an upper floor. You might also request a view facing toward Epcot, which might allow you to see some of the fireworks. You can call the Disney reservation line, if you booked directly through Disney, and add your requests, about 5-7 days prior to arrival. If booked through a TA, they will need to place your requests. Requests are just that and not guaranteed. When you check in, ask the Cast Member at the front desk to show you, on a map, where your room is located. You can then ask if your requests were met. They will try to accommodate your requests, as best possible.

With the view you reserved, and at that room rate, I now absolutely recommend the Yacht Club. If you decide to stay there, I hope you enjoy it!

Can I ask how much it cost? (Points Or $)

Last stay I made a request thru the app under preferences, I believe

It was 8,750 extra points for 6 nights - not sure what the nightly rate was because they didn't clarify if the 5th night free also applied to the upgrade. DH travels a boatload lately, so we've got a stockpile of points.

And thanks for pointing me to where to make the request. Way back in the threads I found that you can make the request through the swandolphin website Concierge then confirming by calling. Super excited!

Edited: We are going the first week of March, which seems to be considered "high" season for points usage. So that might have affected the cost of the upgrade.

Swan / Dolphin adds a level of complexity (but well worth it). Here's one I can't seem to get a clear answer on.

Can I use a Disney Gift card there?

I have a "rewards" program at work that has a selection of gift card options. I expect to have several hundred dollars accumulated in that account by the time of our trip in the summer of 2018. Unfortunately, there is no option for airfare except Delta (we'll be flying SW likely); nor for Sheraton/Westin/Starwood.

But I CAN convert my work rewards points dollar for dollar for a Disney Gift card. So - how do I capitalize on that if staying at the Swan?

Here is what I think is true -
Not for the room or room charges, since it's not owned by Disney.
Not for the restaurants at the Swan/Dolphin either - same reason

OK - makes sense.

What about park tickets if we buy them at the Swan? I don't expect we will buy them in advance of check-in - too much can change with so many people going and a "mistake" in choosing ahead of time can be costly.

I suspect if we buy them at the front desk at check in the answer will be no. But there used to be a separate park ticket desk there - and THAT may accept the Disney card.

Has anyone used a Disney GC to buy tickets AT the Swan or Dolphin itself? (OK - I know I can call the Swan to find out - but I like "talking" to the people here.)

Another option would be in a park itself - I'm sure we'll be going to one or two or (eight or ten) restaurants in the park so I know that will work. But a lot of times we'll split the bill etc and I'd rather not add to the complexity of that- nor feel obligated to spend them at a park restaurant just to use them if we decide on something outside the World or at the hotel.)

I don't know anything about using Disney gift cards at the Swan. We are going soon and staying mostly on points. We did have a lot of disney gift cards, from work and other rewards programs for our upcoming trip. I used most of my disney gift cards on buying my tickets directly through the Disney website and have a chunk left to pay for dining in the parks.
We sometimes use our gift card points from work on visa gift cards or gift cards to walmart or target, and we can buy hotel/disney/southwest cards there. Not sure if that is a possibility for you.

Swan / Dolphin adds a level of complexity (but well worth it). Here's one I can't seem to get a clear answer on.

Can I use a Disney Gift card there?

I have a "rewards" program at work that has a selection of gift card options. I expect to have several hundred dollars accumulated in that account by the time of our trip in the summer of 2018. Unfortunately, there is no option for airfare except Delta (we'll be flying SW likely); nor for Sheraton/Westin/Starwood.

But I CAN convert my work rewards points dollar for dollar for a Disney Gift card. So - how do I capitalize on that if staying at the Swan?

Here is what I think is true -
Not for the room or room charges, since it's not owned by Disney.
Not for the restaurants at the Swan/Dolphin either - same reason

OK - makes sense.

What about park tickets if we buy them at the Swan? I don't expect we will buy them in advance of check-in - too much can change with so many people going and a "mistake" in choosing ahead of time can be costly.

I suspect if we buy them at the front desk at check in the answer will be no. But there used to be a separate park ticket desk there - and THAT may accept the Disney card.

Has anyone used a Disney GC to buy tickets AT the Swan or Dolphin itself? (OK - I know I can call the Swan to find out - but I like "talking" to the people here.)

Another option would be in a park itself - I'm sure we'll be going to one or two or (eight or ten) restaurants in the park so I know that will work. But a lot of times we'll split the bill etc and I'd rather not add to the complexity of that- nor feel obligated to spend them at a park restaurant just to use them if we decide on something outside the World or at the hotel.)

Your thought is correct--you cannot use Disney gift cards within the hotels BUT FOR at the Disney gift stores and the Disney ticket counter. To be honest with you, I don't recall the Disney ticket counter at Swan, but the Dolphin counter is located on the lobby floor near the convention center entrance (opposite check-in desks).

You are able to use Disney gift cards at any Disney owned venue. :thumbsup2

Your thought is correct--you cannot use Disney gift cards within the hotels BUT FOR at the Disney gift stores and the Disney ticket counter. To be honest with you, I don't recall the Disney ticket counter at Swan, but the Dolphin counter is located on the lobby floor near the convention center entrance (opposite check-in desks).
:thumbsup2
The Disney ticket counter is just before the east elevators at the Swan.

Thanks for the responses. And so the question remains - can I use the DIS GC at the ticket counter at the Swan?

It sounds like Tess is implying "no" - but it's possible that the ticket counter is really Disney owned. I doubt they operate like the ticket brokers like The Official Ticket Center - who in effect buy the tickets for you first and resell them - legally. but maybe I'm wrong.

(123Dis4me: I wish I had an option for a Visa GC or even Target / Walmart - our choices are more limited than that - but I'm not complaining. It includes Amazon, which is where I typically spend them.)

And... a quick call confirmed that yes, Dis GCs can be used at the ticket counter at the Swan.

The person I was connected to identified answered by saying "thank you for calling Disney Guest Services at the Swan - how may I help you? So I believe I was talking not to Disney main customer service rep, but the actual person at the Swan ticket desk.

Thanks for the responses. And so the question remains - can I use the DIS GC at the ticket counter at the Swan?

It sounds like Tess is implying "no" - but it's possible that the ticket counter is really Disney owned. I doubt they operate like the ticket brokers like The Official Ticket Center - who in effect buy the tickets for you first and resell them - legally. but maybe I'm wrong.

(123Dis4me: I wish I had an option for a Visa GC or even Target / Walmart - our choices are more limited than that - but I'm not complaining. It includes Amazon, which is where I typically spend them.)

No implication at all--I simply didn't know where the Disney counter was located at The Swan. ;) If it is Disney owned, your gift cards are good. None of the restaurants, bars, etc. within The Swan & The Dolphin are Disney owned. The Disney gift stores and Disney counters are Disney owned and staffed--your gift cards are good there.

I wish I had an option for a Visa GC or even Target / Walmart - our choices are more limited than that - but I'm not complaining. It includes Amazon, which is where I typically spend them.
If one of your gift card options is Best Buy, you can use a Best Buy gift card to purchase Southwest gift cards, as well as Disney gift cards. The Disney gift cards can be purchased for any amount, up to $500 per card.

Sorry Tess - I read your post too quickly.

shoreward - interesting; Best buy is an option.

However, I recall being in a store (don't remember which one) where there was a "discussion" (more like a fight) because they would not let a customer buy a gift card using a gift card. What the customer wanted seemed reasonable - she had a $50 GC and wanted two $25 GCs - to give to separate people. The manager never explained the real reason they couldn't do it, but I suspect that is true everywhere. I suspect it has something to do with tax accounting - moving liabilities from one entity to another.

Sorry Tess - I read your post too quickly.

shoreward - interesting; Best buy is an option.

However, I recall being in a store (don't remember which one) where there was a "discussion" (more like a fight) because they would not let a customer buy a gift card using a gift card. What the customer wanted seemed reasonable - she had a $50 GC and wanted two $25 GCs - to give to separate people. The manager never explained the real reason they couldn't do it, but I suspect that is true everywhere. I suspect it has something to do with tax accounting - moving liabilities from one entity to another.
I have used Best Buy gift cards to purchase Disney gift cards at several Best Buy stores, without any problem. It's very easy, with no hassles! I like that you can specify the value of the card, when you check out.

Yes...definitely request the wedding gazebo view, and you will have a beautiful view of the Boardwalk, which sparkles at night. That location will also place you very close to the FriendShip boat dock. If you want a balcony and not a patio, request an upper floor. You might also request a view facing toward Epcot, which might allow you to see some of the fireworks. You can call the Disney reservation line, if you booked directly through Disney, and add your requests, about 5-7 days prior to arrival. If booked through a TA, they will need to place your requests. Requests are just that and not guaranteed. When you check in, ask the Cast Member at the front desk to show you, on a map, where your room is located. You can then ask if your requests were met. They will try to accommodate your requests, as best possible.

With the view you reserved, and at that room rate, I now absolutely recommend the Yacht Club. If you decide to stay there, I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks! For some reason BWI popped up at $269 per night so I changed our reservation. We were looking forward to trying YC, but at that difference, that's a few drinks and snacks at F&W! Still stalking the Swan though. Sometimes they get dirt cheap the closer it is to check in date!

I forget- is there a microwave at picubu seating area for guest use?

I have used Best Buy gift cards to purchase Disney gift cards at several Best Buy stores, without any problem. It's very easy, with no hassles! I like that you can specify the value of the card, when you check out.

I second this. There are many people over on the budget board that do this. Most are successful. There seem to be a few Best Buy stores that don't allow it, but they seem to be in the minority.

Dan, do you know how much the refillable mugs at the Swan/Dolphin cost? Sorry to put you to work on your vacation. :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter