• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

About the lower prices and changing your reservation. I just decided to add a day to my upcoming Sept. trip and prices had gone down so I just logged into my SPG account and did a change reservation there, added a day and picked the lower price. One trip I changed from Dolphin to Swan and then changed the rate on the Swan two more times before my trip. I just keep checking.

About arriving at 5 and what to do. We arrive around 2 or 3 and have 0 luck with having a room ready early, that's out of 3 stays. We have also had 0 luck with them texting or calling when the room was actually ready. Sunday when we arrived we walked over to Epcot and rode a few rides then walked back. Got back around 5 and still hadn't received word so I went to the desk. The man in front of me had the same problem and wanted some sort of compensation since he hadn't received notice and it was after 3. They told him that they had between 3 and 5:30 for check in and it could even be as late as 6 and no, he wouldn't get any compensation. So be prepared for your room to maybe not be ready.

If you are going to Dolphin any time soon be aware they are working on the lobby. I knew this going in and didn't think it would bother me, it wouldn't have it that was just the issue. We got a phone call on Sunday that the power would be turned off to our room on Monday night for a few hours. Summer in Florida with no AC and no windows that open is not fun. It was off from midnight to around 5 am. We were on the 5th floor and along with the power being off I could hear construction noise, not sure how that happened being on the 5th floor but it happened that night and Tuesday afternoon around 3 when I went back to the room to rest. Just be aware it's a possibility.

Just as another aside, this had to have been my worst Swan/Dolphin stay. Not only did I have the above issues but we needed swimmies to take a shower, our drain didn't drain. I was just too tired when we got into our room and in the shower to deal with it and just didn't want to deal with plumbers in our room so didn't complain but I can't help but think the cleaning people had to know when they cleaned the tub because by the time I finished a shower, maybe 10 min. max it was literally up to above my ankles. We had the same problem with the bathroom sink but I was able to get the stopper out of that it drained o.k. without it. I mentioned it when I checked out so they would make note of it to be fixed before they put someone else in the room.

We had just had a horrible trip at a Westin on Jekyll Island the weekend before so I even tried to just cancel my reservations for my upcoming Sept. trip and book something at Disney, knowing I'd pay more but there was nothing available for the week I'm there. I'm going to keep searching since I got a rate that could be cancelled.

As with most Disney restaurants, they are very accommodating to children. We took our children 4 years ago when they were 7 and 8 and they loved it. I made the mistake of letting them pick whatever they wanted. They split the Surf and Turf- my daughter had the lobster and my son the steak. I believe it was $89. Never do that again...

Wow! I'm learning from your mistake there. But I bet they still remember that meal!

About the lower prices and changing your reservation. I just decided to add a day to my upcoming Sept. trip and prices had gone down so I just logged into my SPG account and did a change reservation there, added a day and picked the lower price. One trip I changed from Dolphin to Swan and then changed the rate on the Swan two more times before my trip. I just keep checking.

About arriving at 5 and what to do. We arrive around 2 or 3 and have 0 luck with having a room ready early, that's out of 3 stays. We have also had 0 luck with them texting or calling when the room was actually ready. Sunday when we arrived we walked over to Epcot and rode a few rides then walked back. Got back around 5 and still hadn't received word so I went to the desk. The man in front of me had the same problem and wanted some sort of compensation since he hadn't received notice and it was after 3. They told him that they had between 3 and 5:30 for check in and it could even be as late as 6 and no, he wouldn't get any compensation. So be prepared for your room to maybe not be ready.

If you are going to Dolphin any time soon be aware they are working on the lobby. I knew this going in and didn't think it would bother me, it wouldn't have it that was just the issue. We got a phone call on Sunday that the power would be turned off to our room on Monday night for a few hours. Summer in Florida with no AC and no windows that open is not fun. It was off from midnight to around 5 am. We were on the 5th floor and along with the power being off I could hear construction noise, not sure how that happened being on the 5th floor but it happened that night and Tuesday afternoon around 3 when I went back to the room to rest. Just be aware it's a possibility.

Just as another aside, this had to have been my worst Swan/Dolphin stay. Not only did I have the above issues but we needed swimmies to take a shower, our drain didn't drain. I was just too tired when we got into our room and in the shower to deal with it and just didn't want to deal with plumbers in our room so didn't complain but I can't help but think the cleaning people had to know when they cleaned the tub because by the time I finished a shower, maybe 10 min. max it was literally up to above my ankles. We had the same problem with the bathroom sink but I was able to get the stopper out of that it drained o.k. without it. I mentioned it when I checked out so they would make note of it to be fixed before they put someone else in the room.

We had just had a horrible trip at a Westin on Jekyll Island the weekend before so I even tried to just cancel my reservations for my upcoming Sept. trip and book something at Disney, knowing I'd pay more but there was nothing available for the week I'm there. I'm going to keep searching since I got a rate that could be cancelled.
Sorry you had a bad trip. Power being out definitely an issue. I would see if they would offer compensation, maybe points. We stayed at Dolphin last September and had no issues. We arrived around 2:30-3 and the woman at the front desk picked a room for us based on my request for a room away from the elevator. She said she tried to pick a nice location but had never actually been in the room and asked us to report back the next day as to whether we like it. It was a great room, way at the end (but far away from the elevator which we had a bad experience with at another hotel) and we could see fireworks from Epcot & HS and had a view of TOT. No issues with the bathrooms and the "green service" to earn points still got us water & coffee, left in the room. They came & made beds & emptied garbage but just didn't replace all the towels.

Sorry you had a bad trip. Power being out definitely an issue. I would see if they would offer compensation, maybe points. We stayed at Dolphin last September and had no issues. We arrived around 2:30-3 and the woman at the front desk picked a room for us based on my request for a room away from the elevator. She said she tried to pick a nice location but had never actually been in the room and asked us to report back the next day as to whether we like it. It was a great room, way at the end (but far away from the elevator which we had a bad experience with at another hotel) and we could see fireworks from Epcot & HS and had a view of TOT. No issues with the bathrooms and the "green service" to earn points still got us water & coffee, left in the room. They came & made beds & emptied garbage but just didn't replace all the towels.

I have had good stays with them in the past and probably wouldn't have even flinched this trip had I not just had a horrible trip at a Westin hotel the weekend before, at a room that was double the Dolphin price I might add. I've used the Green option before and have never had them come in the room and make the bed and empty the trash, just had the water and coffee on the door (didn't even get that at the other Westin, had to go down to the front desk and ask for more coffee). Hopefully my stay next month will be better or I may have to rethink in the future. I will most likely send a message through the SPG site to Westin and don't want or need any compensation, just good service is all I ask.

Considering Swan/Dolphin for just a 2 night stay before going on to stay with my bro/SIL at their off-site timeshare.
nights of Jan 20 & 21. (Sat and Sun nights)

Total Swalphin virgin here!

I know mentioning TA's is not permitted but, generally speaking, what type of base rate might I expect for that time of year? I love searching for a bargain! Where are Swan/Dolphin bargains sometimes available? Orbitz? The parent company (is it Starwood for both?) website?

I know about the mandatory $25/nite resort fee. We won't need car parking. We are only 2 adults + one 17 yr old. So now additional occupant fee. Any other fees that are tacked on to the base room rate?

Also- what's the best way to get ourselves and luggage from MCO to Swan/Dolphin? I'm used to DME so this is new to me as well.

TIA

No issues with the bathrooms and the "green service" to earn points still got us water & coffee, left in the room. They came & made beds & emptied garbage but just didn't replace all the towels.

How many points to you get for choosing this option?

Considering Swan/Dolphin for just a 2 night stay before going on to stay with my bro/SIL at their off-site timeshare.
nights of Jan 20 & 21. (Sat and Sun nights)

Total Swalphin virgin here!

I know mentioning TA's is not permitted but, generally speaking, what type of base rate might I expect for that time of year? I love searching for a bargain! Where are Swan/Dolphin bargains sometimes available? Orbitz? The parent company (is it Starwood for both?) website?

I know about the mandatory $25/nite resort fee. We won't need car parking. We are only 2 adults + one 17 yr old. So now additional occupant fee. Any other fees that are tacked on to the base room rate?

Also- what's the best way to get ourselves and luggage from MCO to Swan/Dolphin? I'm used to DME so this is new to me as well.

TIA

In the past, I've found the best pricing to be on the Swan & Dolphin website, using AAA or nurse's discount. Since the merger with Marriott, those discounts are the same as the SPG member price, and occasionally a little more. With that said, I would check there first, then maybe Orbitz with one of their discounts applied. TripAdvisor now gives quite a few rates from websites as well.

I think that they don't count a 17 year old as an adult, and he will stay free. It was that way at the Swan when I did it a few years back. The only other fees besides the resort fee are the room taxes.

As far as getting to the hotel...Lyft, Uber or a towncar service.

Last edited:
A question for all you high points SPG members. I think I remember reading here that you can't book a suite using SPG points. Am I totally off thinking that?

Thanks for the coffee info @loves to dive and @Dan Murphy. MIL is happy :rotfl: I mean, she was happy anyways bc I helped her get the room on points, but she's one of those people who drinks several cups in the morning, comes home and either reheats or starts a new pot, and then switches to decaf. Last night FIL was suggesting we find her a coffee iv and hook it up about an hour before she wakes up :rotfl2:

A question for all you high points SPG members. I think I remember reading here that you can't book a suite using SPG points. Am I totally off thinking that?

I have been booking suites at the Dolphin for 15 years, but my success with points have been variable for the last 5. Prior to 2012, I was able to book the "parlor" portion of an executive suite for an additional 10,000 Starpoints per night (in additional to the attached bedrooms for 10,000/room). So for 120K points, I was able to book a 2 bedroom suite for 5 nights (5 night free). It was a very good deal, since the "parlor" had a Murphy bed and functioned as third bedroom. Recently, I have had to pay for the "parlor" portion ($200/night) but was able to book the two attached bedrooms on points (i.e 80,000 points and $1000 for 5 nights). For whatever reason, for my last trip in December 2016, I was able to book the old way (All points no cash). I guess it depends on which reservation agent you get...

I'm kind of torn with our next trip in February. I have a 2 bedroom Grand Suite (no executive suites now) booked at the Dolphin which is now costing me $1200 ($240/night) plus 80,000 points, and they got rid of the Murphy bed in the parlor. Considering saving money getting rid of the parlor and just booking multiple rooms, but they won't guarantee connecting rooms.

Let me know how it works our for you.

Thanks for the coffee info @loves to dive and @Dan Murphy. MIL is happy :rotfl: I mean, she was happy anyways bc I helped her get the room on points, but she's one of those people who drinks several cups in the morning, comes home and either reheats or starts a new pot, and then switches to decaf. Last night FIL was suggesting we find her a coffee iv and hook it up about an hour before she wakes up :rotfl2:
That is my DH. But he never switches to decaf. And can fall asleep sitting up. He's a bit of a coffee snob & prefers to bring his own when possible but we did get extra from housekeeping at Dolphin.

Wow! Sorry to hear about the issues during your stay at the Dolphin. It definitely sounds like you should be compensated for the power outage, at least!

If you don't mind, I am concerned about the state of construction in the Dolphin lobby. Did it look nearly complete when you were there? Or is it just beginning? The promo on the website says that it is due to be finished mid September, but with all the delays that seem to happen in WDW, I am concerned that there might still be ongoing work in October. What is your opinion? Should we stay at the Swan instead?

Thank you very much!

Wow! Sorry to hear about the issues during your stay at the Dolphin. It definitely sounds like you should be compensated for the power outage, at least!

If you don't mind, I am concerned about the state of construction in the Dolphin lobby. Did it look nearly complete when you were there? Or is it just beginning? The promo on the website says that it is due to be finished mid September, but with all the delays that seem to happen in WDW, I am concerned that there might still be ongoing work in October. What is your opinion? Should we stay at the Swan instead?

Thank you very much!

Other than the whole turning off the electricity issue and the noise, the construction on the lobby wasn't much of an issue except big walls up. It didn't look very far along to us but we really did't look behind the walls that much. They told us September when we were there.

How many of you use magic bands for tickets? I know we can't use them to charge purchases or to open the door, but do any of you use them in the parks? Is it more convenient than using your ticket card?

I am tempted to purchase one, but only if it makes fast pass and entrance easier.

How many of you use magic bands for tickets? I know we can't use them to charge purchases or to open the door, but do any of you use them in the parks? Is it more convenient than using your ticket card?

I am tempted to purchase one, but only if it makes fast pass and entrance easier.
I used ones from a previous trip. They still worked, and I thought it was easier to use for tickets and fast passes than the cards. With that being said, I don't know that I would necessarily shell out cash for the convenience, but I thought I'd share about the old magic bands in case you had any and didn't know.

Other than the whole turning off the electricity issue and the noise, the construction on the lobby wasn't much of an issue except big walls up. It didn't look very far along to us but we really did't look behind the walls that much. They told us September when we were there.

Thank you! I believe that we will stay in the Swan this trip the fall. I really dislike being subject to possible construction issues. Usually it isn't a problem, but sometimes it really messes with your experience. We found that out the hard way at the YC on one trip.

It is great to have information from someone that has been there so recently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter