Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Mask compliance at the Swan was really good while we were there last week. Maybe the staff was more involved or that it's just a small hotel.

I booked through the Amex Portal using my Platinum card, the specific benefits for The Hotels Collection is a $100 resort credit and upgraded room. (There are more benefits for the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts, some nearby resorts fall into that group.)

There is some online debate as to whether you get your Marriott benefits/points/stays and also Amex benefits. As far as I can tell so far I got both. It says the credit is for meals, spa, etc. and not the resort fees, but at the Swan they just applied $100 to the bill so it cancelled out breakfast and some of the fees.

If you book through Amex always check the rates through Marriott and Disney too, I saw them vary. When I booked a week ago the Swan was $220/night through Amex - but crowds here are really low.
Super thanks. I usually just book direct on Marriott.com since I am a Titanium and I can use my AP rate or my corporate rate for a decent discount. But that $100 may sometimes negate the discounts. This is super to know! I never thought about looking for the Swolphin in the Amex travel portal. Right now there is also a $200 credit for Platinum cards when you book through Amex Travel, but I'm using that for another trip. I hope they do that again next year, though!

When I have stayed at dolphin with the AP rate they have asked to see my AP. If my aunt (no AP) stays there with my kid (has and AP) will they be ok booking that rate? The room would be in aunt's name obviously, but they will show my daughter's AP?

I booked through the Amex Portal using my Platinum card, the specific benefits for The Hotels Collection is a $100 resort credit and upgraded room. (There are more benefits for the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts, some nearby resorts fall into that group.)

There is some online debate as to whether you get your Marriott benefits/points/stays and also Amex benefits. As far as I can tell so far I got both. It says the credit is for meals, spa, etc. and not the resort fees, but at the Swan they just applied $100 to the bill so it cancelled out breakfast and some of the fees.

If you book through Amex always check the rates through Marriott and Disney too, I saw them vary. When I booked a week ago the Swan was $220/night through Amex - but crowds here are really low.

What is your Marriott status? I am platinum and at Swolphin I usually am give little cards to put towards breakfast each morning, valuing $20 each. So in theory if they recognize your status, I'd get those plus the $100 credit towards the bill, which would be great.

I am considering changing from an AP rate to the amex booking portal to use my $200 credit for my personal amex plat card. But it may not be worth since the AP rate is $44 less thru Marriott. If I get the breakfast cards PLUS the $100 onsite credit, then it is worth it.

Any news on the swan reserve opening date? I'm booked Oct 9-11 and haven't gotten a relocation email as of yet.
There is a thread a little farther down titled Swan Reserve. Someone reported they were told it would be open Oct 1, then got the email that it would not be open and they were moved.

Any news on the swan reserve opening date? I'm booked Oct 9-11 and haven't gotten a relocation email as of yet.
Nope. Silence, but early October people are being contacted about moving.

New over the last couple days the first date now available on the Swan Reserve website is 11/7. Previously mid-Oct was available at an egregious rate and 10/31 was the start of rooms available at normal rates.

Personally I can’t imagine this bodes well for Reserve opening in Oct at all even if they aren’t officially moving everyone yet.

It’s due to supply and demand. As room availability goes down, the rates go up. When it gets to the point where only a few rooms are available, those room rates can triple from the rates you found.

In my experience with Swan/Dolphin this can be true but pricing is also a function of how far out you are... pretty regularly a month or two out they appear to have scant availability and super high prices only to drop prices and appear to have more availability 2-3 weeks out. Of course, my experience goes back to SPG days where I had booked some stays with cash to 'reserve' the spot, at like $600+ a night. Once I had the points, I cancelled and rebooked with points... and one time I ended up cancelling and rebooking a few days out from my trip because the rates had dropped to ~$150/night and didnt seem like a very good use of my starpoints! This is in contrast to WDW resorts which tend to only go in one direction- more akin to booking flights that have wildly fluctuating prices.

When I have stayed at dolphin with the AP rate they have asked to see my AP. If my aunt (no AP) stays there with my kid (has and AP) will they be ok booking that rate? The room would be in aunt's name obviously, but they will show my daughter's AP?
I don't have an AP, but we were able to do something similar with an AAA rate. They didn't really check the AAA card that close. I think they just wanted to see someone had it, but maybe someone with actual AP experience can chime in.

Dolphin is much bigger and the lobby is full of maskless people. I was fairly annoyed by it when I had to kill a few hours between check out/check in. Its blatant, people in line at the front desk, standing next to a "masks required" sign, and staff doesn't seem to be enforcing it at all. I really did not see that anywhere else on Disney property - cast members are turning people away from rides if they don't put on a mask. I would not have chosen to stay at a mask-optional hotel this week had I known. There seems to be a big dance conference going on so that's why it was fairly crowded that day.
Some of the issue could be due to fact the booking tells you masks are optional depending on vax status, i just booked a bday trip for mid Oct and the email confirmation says masks indoors for unvaxxed only. here's where it's Disney but not actually owned by them likely comes into play with people's decision to follow one "rule" or another or the staff not enforcing it or even the mixed or even changing "rules"

I don't have an AP, but we were able to do something similar with an AAA rate. They didn't really check the AAA card that close. I think they just wanted to see someone had it, but maybe someone with actual AP experience can chime in.
thanks. I think we will give it a go.

If in doubt I'd call or text them (# in the S/d app) so you don't get there and find out it won't work. My gut says as long as one person has an AP you are good to go, but since I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night take that with a grain of salt.

If in doubt I'd call or text them (# in the S/d app) so you don't get there and find out it won't work. My gut says as long as one person has an AP you are good to go, but since I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night take that with a grain of salt.
Thx. I tried calling and was on hold forever. Text is a good idea.

I heard from here people the first week in Oct got called now, so I called to check on my Nov4 res. The woman at the in house res line did not have any insight into when they would be open, but just told me my reservation was still at SR and not on the relocation list yet. I'm mildly surprised you weren't contacted yet because it doesn't look like they will be ready on your dates. You could call and check at this point, less than 30 days out I don't think you are harassing them. Good luck and let us know.

Mask compliance at the Swan was really good while we were there last week. Maybe the staff was more involved or that it's just a small hotel.
Agree. Its a much smaller lobby and not many people sitting around. There are also some outdoor courtyards on the interior where people could go.

What is your Marriott status? I am platinum and at Swolphin I usually am give little cards to put towards breakfast each morning, valuing $20 each. So in theory if they recognize your status, I'd get those plus the $100 credit towards the bill, which would be great.

I am considering changing from an AP rate to the amex booking portal to use my $200 credit for my personal amex plat card. But it may not be worth since the AP rate is $44 less thru Marriott. If I get the breakfast cards PLUS the $100 onsite credit, then it is worth it.
I'm only Gold, but Platinum should get breakfast vouchers. I'll also get the $200 Amex annual credit, forgot that was another reason to stay here before the end of the year.

Some of the issue could be due to fact the booking tells you masks are optional depending on vax status, i just booked a bday trip for mid Oct and the email confirmation says masks indoors for unvaxxed only. here's where it's Disney but not actually owned by them likely comes into play with people's decision to follow one "rule" or another or the staff not enforcing it or even the mixed or even changing "rules"

IDK - there are signs everywhere, and they hand you a paper with the policy when you check in. People are standing next to signs saying masks required while not wearing a mask.
Its also consistent with the Disney rule which anyone going to the parks sees everywhere. Hard to miss that is the current rule. I hate that the staff has to deal with that, but its disappointing they aren't even trying to enforce it (like reminding people at check in).

Agree. Its a much smaller lobby and not many people sitting around. There are also some outdoor courtyards on the interior where people could go.

I'm only Gold, but Platinum should get breakfast vouchers. I'll also get the $200 Amex annual credit, forgot that was another reason to stay here before the end of the year.

IDK - there are signs everywhere, and they hand you a paper with the policy when you check in. People are standing next to signs saying masks required while not wearing a mask.
Its also consistent with the Disney rule which anyone going to the parks sees everywhere. Hard to miss that is the current rule. I hate that the staff has to deal with that, but its disappointing they aren't even trying to enforce it (like reminding people at check in).
Thats why I was surprised and honestly hopeful to see it when I booked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter