• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

We stay at the swan and dolphin quite frequently as we are bonvoy members and their AP rates are usually much cheaper than the deluxe resort rates around the Boardwalk area. I was looking at a stay for February and it appears all of their rates including AP require a big chunk of change to be put down upon booking. This never used to be the case. Does anyone know when this changed? Even the regular rates require a huge pre-payment
Back in July, I made a reservation for the Swan in the Marriott app. I used the AP rate. The rate was $263 for the first night, and $215 for each of the other nights (plus resort fee and tax).

The app said that they would charge my credit card $537 to ensure that I received the special rate. I don't know how they came up with that number.

Two days later, my credit card was actually charged $340.88. That would have been the first night rate of $263, plus the $40 resort fee for one night, plus 12.5% tax on the first night rate and the resort fee.

Ooh, just looked. It seems that right now, the deposit is being calculated on half the nights? I’ve never seen this before. Maybe this is a move to counteract the fact that many people make reservations that they never intend to use.
I was thinking the same thing. I do know a couple people who booked it previously just to be able to get their dining booked since they were able to book their whole trip and then they would cancel it. This was when it was only a credit card required. So you could be right. That’s just an INSANELY high amount to put down for a deposit.
I also remember before it was Marriott it didn’t require a ton of points to stay. Now it’s almost double the points from what they used to charge with Sheraton.

Since Marriott took over, they have always charged a one night deposit on our reservations. Have never seen the heftier deposit required, so perhaps that’s new or related to room type? Is this a non refundable rate?
It’s actually on all of the rates. Standard, package, AP, AAA, etc… the rates are refundable if you cancel, except of course the non-refundable category

I've never paid more than a one night deposit up front. Edited to add that I haven't been charged a deposit at all a number of times. I think that's been mostly at the Swan.

Last edited:

I've never paid more than a one night deposit up front. Edited to add that I haven't been charged a deposit at all a number of times. I think that's been mostly at the Swan.
Same with us, we typically are never charged a deposit and now it’s requiring half the amount of the stay and we typically stay there once or twice a year. Not anymore though with that deposit amount.

I know the app/website is saying that people will be charged a large deposit, but has anyone actually been charged that much? (I posted earlier that I was not. I wonder what other people's experience has been.)

We are interested in finding out more about these resorts for a two night stay next month. We will have three adults and are only doing one park day ( Epcot). We have our two dinners planned and are hoping for some pool time.
We'd appreciate advice or any info.
I've seen that Swan has queen beds which would be preferable, but what do you all like or dislike about each one?
We are sort of picky with wanting a clean room in good condition :)
We have been to WDW many times and are DVC members but haven't ever stayed here!
Thank you!
Both resorts are very nice. The biggest difference (IMO) is the size of the resorts. The Dolphin is bigger with a much larger/cavernous lobby - it feels more like a resort lobby. The Swan lobby is more understated and quieter. Depending on your room location, you could have a fairly long walk getting to your room at the Dolphin. You already mentioned the queen-size beds at the Swan v. the double-size beds at Dolphin. The Dolphin has more amenities in the building, but it's a very short walk from the Swan to the Dolphin to use those same amenities. Overall my preference is the Swan, for the quiet and ease of getting in/out of the resort, but we've enjoyed both.

Both resorts are very nice. The biggest difference (IMO) is the size of the resorts. The Dolphin is bigger with a much larger/cavernous lobby - it feels more like a resort lobby. The Swan lobby is more understated and quieter. Depending on your room location, you could have a fairly long walk getting to your room at the Dolphin. You already mentioned the queen-size beds at the Swan v. the double-size beds at Dolphin. The Dolphin has more amenities in the building, but it's a very short walk from the Swan to the Dolphin to use those same amenities. Overall my preference is the Swan, for the quiet and ease of getting in/out of the resort, but we've enjoyed both.
Thanks-
I'm filing this away for the future, as we decided to add a park day after all and booked Pop to save money. But I've always wanted to try one of these resorts- the pool looks lovely!

Last edited:
I'm reading a lot of recent reviews that the Dolphin/Swan are dirty and in need of renovation. Do you guys concur or am I reading nonsense?

I'm reading a lot of recent reviews that the Dolphin/Swan are dirty and in need of renovation. Do you guys concur or am I reading nonsense?
Reviews like those are what kept me from trying out these hotels. I'm so glad I finally gave in and tried a stay. There's nowhere else I'd rather stay at Disney now. The newly renovated Swan rooms are great and the Dolphin rooms are just fine, clean and in good shape. I've never noticed anything dirty or really in need of repair.

We stay at the swan and dolphin quite frequently as we are bonvoy members and their AP rates are usually much cheaper than the deluxe resort rates around the Boardwalk area. I was looking at a stay for February and it appears all of their rates including AP require a big chunk of change to be put down upon booking. This never used to be the case. Does anyone know when this changed? Even the regular rates require a huge pre-payment

This past Sunday, Dec. 24, I booked a stay at the Swan for December 2024 through the Bonvoy app. Sorry I can’t remember the quoted deposit - I probably didn’t look. However, I was charged one night’s deposit on a five night stay. The charge came through immediately (a first!) and they also sent a receipt a couple of hours later (another first!).

eta - This was an AP rate reservation

I’ve had crap rooms at Swan and good rooms at Swan. Only had good rooms at Swan Reserve (new property) and no Dolphin experience. Do we have confirmation all Swan rooms have been renovated? My last room was in Dec and was in good shape, my bad rooms were pre-renovations.

TA reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt, I’d go back about 20-30 pages here and skim for reviews from people recently at the properties for a recent feel.

I did a mock booking for April and it listed the deposit as the entire 3 night charge, taxes, resort fee, and all.
Might have something to do with the length of stay. About a week ago, I booked a 6 night stay for the first week in April and was charged one night deposit. I am a Bonvoy member but the lowest one they have and I do stay at Dolphin a lot but I don't think they took any of that into account. I did use an AP discount so that might have had something to do with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter