Was I wrong to be disappointed by this?

As with most things in life, I think we make the experience what we want it to be. We can enjoy all that is there or we can look for the things that will disappoint. Sure, there may be an event that doesn't measure up or a disappointment of some one on the trip, but that shouldn't spoil the entire cruise. I guess we all look at life with a glass half empty or glass half full attitude. In my life, anything Disney is a glass half full kind of day. I hope you remember your cruise as a happy one and if you try it again, you put some the suggestions into practice and make the next cruise even better!

Hey all! After almost ten months of waiting, I went on my first Disney cruise on the Halloween on the High Seas September 17th Wonder sailing from San Diego to Mexico. It was five awesome days and I had a great time and they almost had to drag my friend and I off the ship... I'm not kidding, we just did not want to go home!

This was a five day sailing and I participated in an FE (which made the cruise even more magical and I'm so glad we did it). I mention this because my friend and I did the FE with a FB group for our sailing and even as of right now the page is still active with people posting photos from the cruise and discussing the sailing.

My friend and I were shocked to find out that a lot of the people we sailed with were unhappy with our cruise. Apparently lots of people got seasick, dining was rushed and many others felt that the service was unusually "off". I have seen complaints about the quality of food, etc. The general consensus seems to be that our sailing was not Disney as its best. Well, you coulda fooled us! We honestly had a blast and were overwhelmed and impressed by how much was going on and how amazing the ship was. It was our first cruise and it was my first ever experience with Disney... I was seriously impressed. When I read these complaints, I thought, "Well if this was "okay" then what the heck is above and beyond for Disney?!" But talking it over with some of the others, I started to understand that some of them were on their 5th or 10th time with Disney and were comparing the quality to past sailings. Us not being seasoned cruisers, we didn't really pick up that it was an off sailing. We didn't know anything was out of the ordinary. But overall I was pleased with the quality of the cruise and I didn't have too many issues with anything.

Well... except this one thing...

I'd like to start out by saying that I feel bad for feeling this way lol. I feel like I got my feelings way too hurt over it. But I was really disappointed with character interactions. The lines for photos weren't that bad, and I do realize that the meet and greets were supposed to be short that way people could get pictures and move along. But it was obvious from the getgo that the characters were not going to pay much attention or do cute interactions with the adults, only the kids. During the dance party the characters would only dance with the kids or the other adult cast members. Again, that's fine, but even while my friend and I danced nearby and waved to the characters, they would still ignore us. We eventually just left because even though it was fun and everyone was being taught a new dance (and the party was for all ages) we realized that the characters were focused on the smaller kids more than anyone.

Same with photos... the CMs would rush us and only let us get two photos, while they let the families with kids get twenty... that and the Princesses talked to them for longer to both the kids and the adults in those families.

I mean, I know that I'm an adult but I'm still a huge fan of Disney and heard they were known for having awesome character interaction. I've watched videos filmed at Disney World where the characters are great about interacting with EVERYONE, not just the kids. I expected that level and what I received on the cruise was way below that.

In the end I got my pictures and was happy, but I felt rushed and was sad that the characters didn't interact with me more. Especially since I've waited so long to meet all of them. I couldn't wait to talk with the princesses or strike funny poses with Mickey and Goofy... not to sound like a baby, but I was disappointed.

I'm kind of suprised adults care about this stuff. Especially to the extent to want to talk to the characters like they are real. I always thought it was just for the kids.

We’re two adults without kids and we do character interactions in the parks and on the ships. It’s a park of the Disney Magic that we’re paying for. In general the experiences can vary greatly. Especially on the ships, we’ve had a lot of great chats with the character handlers (about real life) while on line as opposed to the characters themselves, who often don’t have the time to chat when 20 more people are waiting in line. But then other times the characters will surprise us with special interactions (man, Minnie can be a HUGE flirt), or fun things like Ariel asking me if my wife saved me from a ship wreck, too. Another time when we first boarded, Belle was just sitting there in her blue/white dress reading a book. Like the other poster said, we asked what she was reading. It was a really fun chat. I’ve had a few Mickeys (or I mean the one and only Mickey multiple times) compliment me (with gestures) on my Mickey ties. :)

So we don’t expect it, but we enjoy them when they happen. It’s funny that it brings both parts of the thread together!

Oh, I also had Captain Jack Sparrow turn around something I said into a really lewd comment about my wife. It was hilarious, and I’m not being sarcastic!

We’re two adults without kids and we do character interactions in the parks and on the ships. It’s a park of the Disney Magic that we’re paying for. In general the experiences can vary greatly. Especially on the ships, we’ve had a lot of great chats with the character handlers (about real life) while on line as opposed to the characters themselves, who often don’t have the time to chat when 20 more people are waiting in line. But then other times the characters will surprise us with special interactions (man, Minnie can be a HUGE flirt), or fun things like Ariel asking me if my wife saved me from a ship wreck, too. Another time when we first boarded, Belle was just sitting there in her blue/white dress reading a book. Like the other poster said, we asked what she was reading. It was a really fun chat. I’ve had a few Mickeys (or I mean the one and only Mickey multiple times) compliment me (with gestures) on my Mickey ties. :)

So we don’t expect it, but we enjoy them when they happen. It’s funny that it brings both parts of the thread together!

Oh, I also had Captain Jack Sparrow turn around something I said into a really lewd comment about my wife. It was hilarious, and I’m not being sarcastic!
I get this. I will joke around with the characters given the chance. "As an adult: I'm not going to get upset about not meeting characters. I've got too many "adult" things to worry about like kids, bills, aging parents. My point is "as an adult" character interactions are cute and fun, but it's not going to make or break my cruise. I'm in my 40's with a lot of responsibility. Maybe if I was in my 20's this kind of stuff would matter.

I get this. I will joke around with the characters given the chance. "As an adult: I'm not going to get upset about not meeting characters. I've got too many "adult" things to worry about like kids, bills, aging parents. My point is "as an adult" character interactions are cute and fun, but it's not going to make or break my cruise. I'm in my 40's with a lot of responsibility. Maybe if I was in my 20's this kind of stuff would matter.

Honestly, those kinds of adult worries are why I like going to places like WDW and why I indulge in activities based around playing or pretending. I'm in my 30's with a lot of responsibility. My friends in their 40's tend to be even bigger, even more enthusiastic nerds than I am. I also just booked an MDAS cruise in no small part because I want to meet Dr. Strange. I'm sure I'd have a great time without that, but it was the tipping point for me to book the cruise this year versus continue to wait and see about next year's itineraries. I don't think it's age, I think it's just what appeals to our individual personalities.

People talk about being in their 30's & 40's, hell, I'm in my 80's and really enjoy :dogdance:

It's great that you had a great time on your first Disney cruise - it was your experience and I am sure many others enjoyed their cruise as well - we have to remember that those who express their opinions on-line are not really representative of the majority ... just representative of those who go on-line.

I do admit that expectations/experience does change a bit the more you cruise with a particular line/ship ... for example, we're Platinum with Princess but haven't cruised with them since 2008 as we wanted a different experience. Our last three cruises have been aboard the Fantasy - I did notice some things that I did not care for by the third cruise. But overall, we had a great time every time we cruise. In fact, we're heading out soon for the 14-day Halloween on the High Seas Panama Canal cruise aboard the Wonder departing Oct 27th from San Diego to Galveston, TX. 1st time on the Wonder - don't really care about the ports - but looking forward to FEs and meeting new people - and Halloween - and the Panama Canal - and - experiencing the Disney "Wonder" ;)

Ok, it is tough love at our house, so brace yourself. Yes, OP, I would argue that you are being silly and the fact that you feel a bit silly about it is the little voice inside your head pointing it out to you. Of course it is fun to see happy adults interacting with characters, but not extensively. Every time we are in a character line and see adults going on... and on... and on, my husband and I roll our eyes and say, "millennials." That being said, we also roll our eyes at parents (usually not millennials) who insist on getting 20 pictures with their kids. When I was a kid people did not expect transformative character interactions. Lol. We go to Disney a lot (2,3,sometimes 4 times a year for the last 30 years) and I can count on one hand the times we've had "amazing" character experiences. Never initiated by us, but occasionally the situation lends itself. Once we were at park fare and one of cinderella's stepsisters went on and on about our very awkward teenage son. It was hysterical, and he looked so silly and was so embarrassed that he hasn't been back there since. Another time, years ago, one of our toddlers was having a mental breakdown at chef mickeys and we were about to just take him out and leave when Donald Duck walked up and started immitating him and then upping the ante to the point that our waiter was actually annoyed with Donald's behavior. Our child stopped cold and was mesmerized and afterwards said, "Donald Duck is really bad." But those were dining experiences and yes, kid focused character experiences. I have always said hi to mickey and others, maybe given a high five, but I would never expect them to dance with me or focus on me the way they would a child. Walt Disney said we are all children at heart, but he did not say we are all children. And there is a difference.

People talk about being in their 30's & 40's, hell, I'm in my 80's and really enjoy :dogdance:

Part of this is a function of where we are "hanging out." People on these boards tend to be "younger at Heart" and value the joys and enthusiasm of youth more. I do think that is happening more in society, but it has always been. When I was a child, my Father played Dungeons and Dragons with HIS friends and he let me play with them. And he would come with me and my friends to play paint ball and Laser tag. It taught me that growing up doesn't have to mean leaving your inner child behind. I really appreciate that lesson now!

By the way, "playing" with those adults and interacting with them went a long way towards making me feel comfortable with adults in more "serious" settings too. It was enriching in a very practical way, as well as being fun.

I would like to preface this with …. :love: ! ! ! I L O V E D C L ! ! ! :love:

I have taken other cruises and always come back and currently have 3 booked. The following is just a disappointment, but nothing is perfect and not a deal breaker for me or my family.

I experience a difference between the character interactions at WDW and DCL, but have just accepted it. Prior to my husband’s death in Oct 2016, he was disabled and needed an ECV due to a heart condition and a partial foot amputation. I found the photographers and characters at WDW to be very kind, patient, and accommodating – they would tell him to take his time and not rush to ensure that he was always included in the family photos with our daughter. One our DCL cruises, it was the opposite. It always felt so rushed and often he was barely standing and in place before they snapped the photo and were shuffling us off. A few times he fell or almost fell because they insisted he move too quickly. After a while he decided not to participate in the family photos because it would cause him stress and embarrassment. I understand they have a lot of people who want pictures and the extra time needed can be an inconvenience, but part of the reason we always leaned towards Disney vacations was because they were so accommodating to the disabled and he was able to participate more in our family vacations.

But I still love Disney and DCL and it is what it is.

I have to admit we do not cruise Disney for the Characters. We just love the service and how clean the ship is. We have been docked next to other ships in port and I swear just looking at the rust on the outsides of other ships made me wonder what the inside was like. My daughter really has no interest in the characters and has not for years(age 11). The whole experience from our 2 cruises had been the service is above and beyond so that is why we pay the extra price and cruise every other year. It really is worth the expense to us but we are no interested in meeting the characters either.

Ahh, millennials. The only time we take time off from killing our forefathers' industries is when we instead inconvenience them by descending upon things meant for children.

I mean, to each their own, but...while I don't expect an "amazing" experience every time I talk to a costumed character (and a lot of people made very good points about adults who do want more than a quick photo needing to initiate conversation), it's a service Disney offers and one for which we're paying. So no, I don't think it's silly at its core to want to get what you're paying for. I do think one needs to have realistic expectations (not every interaction is going to wow you, and most characters won't intuit that you want more than a quick snapshot if you don't give them the cues), but I don't think there's any reason to feel silly for recognizing that you kind of missed out, even if it was on something trivial. OP got a lot of good advice on how to have a better time if they go again, so I don't think it's silly at all to have brought it up.

One thing I have found on the ships (Dream, Fantasy, and Magic) is that especially with the face characters, you might have to lead to get the conversation started.

This, this, this. It's not just a DCL thing. I often do meet and greets on my own at WDW since DW doesn't like to do them. I am a mid-40 something year old fat man who wants a picture with TinkerBell. I get very uncomfortable and self conscious about what people think of me so I tend to get quiet and reserved. The characters (of course) respond to that - not by trying to draw me out, but to just hurry me along.

If I manage to pull out of my shell and start a conversation, they will usually respond equally. But they generally won't start it.

I would like to preface this with …. :love: ! ! ! I L O V E D C L ! ! ! :love:

I have taken other cruises and always come back and currently have 3 booked. The following is just a disappointment, but nothing is perfect and not a deal breaker for me or my family.

I experience a difference between the character interactions at WDW and DCL, but have just accepted it. Prior to my husband’s death in Oct 2016, he was disabled and needed an ECV due to a heart condition and a partial foot amputation. I found the photographers and characters at WDW to be very kind, patient, and accommodating – they would tell him to take his time and not rush to ensure that he was always included in the family photos with our daughter. One our DCL cruises, it was the opposite. It always felt so rushed and often he was barely standing and in place before they snapped the photo and were shuffling us off. A few times he fell or almost fell because they insisted he move too quickly. After a while he decided not to participate in the family photos because it would cause him stress and embarrassment. I understand they have a lot of people who want pictures and the extra time needed can be an inconvenience, but part of the reason we always leaned towards Disney vacations was because they were so accommodating to the disabled and he was able to participate more in our family vacations.

But I still love Disney and DCL and it is what it is.

I wanted to go back and address this, because I think it's gotten passed over as we talked about other aspects of things, and it's really disappointing that that happened to your husband and to your family. It can be really hard in the moment, even when it's completely justified to say "please give me a moment" or "no, I can't do that." What I mean to say is that those bad experiences are on the CMs for not being accommodating, not on your family for not speaking up, because you really shouldn't have to speak up in order to avoid someone rushing you along past your physical capability. That's definitely something where I'd give feedback afterward, though, if I didn't feel able to address it in the moment. I'll accept that not every interaction has to be perfect, but Disney prides itself on accommodating people with disabilities and they need to stand by that.

Thanks @YawningDodo. I appreciate the kind words.

I believe I wrote a letter to DCL after our cruise letting them know about our experiences on board - regarding the Character Meets / Photos, as well as the general accessibility of the ship for those who are disabled. The latter was a bit worse than expected, as I guess we were so used to the parks and the ships were surprisingly much more difficult to navigate. But I honestly am not even sure if I sent it. My husband became quite ill after that trip and we were focused on his declining health in his last few months. If I did actually send it, I never heard back.

I will agree that the CMs are amazing throughout the ship - my only real disappointment was with the photographers.

Oh and I am one of those crazy adults who is probably more excited to see the characters than my 10 year old daughter - haha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter