Ways to maximize savings when purchasing direct DVC contract.. (credit card rewards etc)

veginaz

Just an Arizonan who loves vegetables and the VGC
Wanted to start a thread for strategies to maximize savings while purchasing a direct DVC contract.

Chase Disney Visa
  • 2% back in Disney Reward dollars when using a Disney Chase Premier Visa and pairing it with the 0% apr offer.
  • Seen comments in other threads that DVC will allow multiple payments in order to stretch out the 0% apr allowing you keep your money in a savings account longer.
Have you purchased a DVC contract with a certain credit card and earned extra rewards?

Last edited:
@supercarrie I know you have started researching this and have some details
Yes! Here are my thoughts - I purchased a resale contract earlier this year and am planning on purchasing a direct contract soon.

Having looked into credit card rewards extensively in prep for my upcoming direct purchase, Chase codes DVC purchases as travel (based on prior reports). The Chase Sapphire Reserve gives you 3x points on travel, which you can then transfer to a multitude of airlines/hotels, or book via the Chase portal for 1.5x (so effectively 4.5x).

AMEX does not code as travel based on recent reports.

Other people look at the Disney credit card because it offers 0% interest for six months, but it only offers 2% cash back. Personally, I'm planning on either of the following for my upcoming direct Riv or Poly purchase:
a) using my Chase Sapphire Reserve for the 3x points (and splitting my payments over three months, so my money can sit in my savings account for a bit longer)
b) opening a couple new credit cards for the sign up bonuses / splitting payments as well

For dues, many people buy discounted Disney gift cards at Target - the REDcard gives 5% off - or if you have a Chase Ink Cash, they give 5x on office supply stores. That's technically a business card, though.

My resale contract escrow payment did not code as travel. The escrow company allowed $7500 to be paid on a cc. Sadly I only received 1.5x there.

Just posted this in another thread…

The best strategy I’ve found is to use a chase sapphire reserve card. You will get 3 Chase ultimate rewards points per dollar spent, which is good to book airfare at a 1.5:1 rate, so it’s like getting 4.5% cash back.

But the big deal is IF you currently have a free “My Chase Plan” offer, you can essentially get a free 24 month payment plan on one of your contracts. I used this on one of my RIV contracts, and have a free 24 month payment plan on a $28k contract.

The Disney Visa option is an “OK” option, but not nearly as good as the Reserve option, both in points and in payment plans (IF you have a free my chase plan).

Just check a recent purchase on the card to see if it shows $0 fees when you try to set up a plan for it to see if you have a freebie…

Just posted this in another thread…

The best strategy I’ve found is to use a chase sapphire reserve card. You will get 3 Chase ultimate rewards points per dollar spent, which is good to book airfare at a 1.5:1 rate, so it’s like getting 4.5% cash back.

But the big deal is IF you currently have a free “My Chase Plan” offer, you can essentially get a free 24 month payment plan on one of your contracts. I used this on one of my RIV contracts, and have a free 24 month payment plan on a $28k contract.

The Disney Visa option is an “OK” option, but not nearly as good as the Reserve option, both in points and in payment plans (IF you have a free my chase plan).

Just check a recent purchase on the card to see if it shows $0 fees when you try to set up a plan for it to see if you have a freebie…
Had a reserve back in 2016 but downgraded so I would qualify for the new current bonus. It's good to know DVC codes as travel. I have many Chase cards so I'll have to see if I have any pay over time freebies. I didn't know they offered freebies on those so I really never even look at them.

I also read somewhere that Chase allows you to move credit around between your cards. So if you have a 20K on one chase card and 30k on another card you can move available credit to one card or another to maximize those perks.

I also read somewhere that Chase allows you to move credit around between your cards. So if you have a 20K on one chase card and 30k on another card you can move available credit to one card or another to maximize those perks.
I did this to create room for my recent direct purchase. Transferred an additional $30k from one of my other cards so I could clear what I needed.

Wanted to start a thread for strategies to maximize savings while purchasing a direct DVC contract.

Chase Disney Visa
  • 2% back in Disney Reward dollars when using a Disney Chase Visa and pairing it with the 0% apr offer.
  • Seen comments in other threads that DVC will allow multiple payments in order to stretch out the 0% apr allowing you keep your money in a savings account longer.
Have you purchased a DVC contract with a certain credit card and earned extra rewards?
After collecting the rewards, transfer the balance to the Citi Simplicity with their 21 month 0% intro balance transfer APR.

After collecting the rewards, transfer the balance to the Citi Simplicity with their 21 month 0% intro balance transfer APR.
Don't they charge a 3% balance transfer fee? I guess if you have your money in a HYSA, moving it over is still better. (Or gives you more time to save!)

You could in theory buy a zillion Disney Gift Cards with a club store deal or a Target Red Card or one of those Meijer gift card sales if you live near one, you could even stack it with a credit card promo or a Rakuten like thing.

Seems more trouble than it’s worth to me, but it would save you the most money.

Never mind.

Last edited:

Chase Disney Visa
  • 2% back in Disney Reward dollars when using a Disney Chase Visa and pairing it with the 0% apr offer.
Is that the Premiere (paid/fee) Disney Visa or just the regular one?

You could in theory buy a zillion Disney Gift Cards with a club store deal or a Target Red Card or one of those Meijer gift card sales if you live near one, you could even stack it with a credit card promo or a Rakuten like thing.

Just don’t be the guy that buys $10k worth of Disney+ gift cards by accident…

ahh yes this is a good idea. I knew it was a thing but tbh I completely forgot.

I knew you can pay dues with gift cards but you can also use them when purchasing the contract?

My DH and I got JetBlue mosaic status match last year and then were able to keep it for this year by each signing up for the JetBlue credit card. He flies JetBlue a lot for business and I think our next DVC purchase will be split... I'll put enough spend on his JetBlue card to retain the mosaic status, then the rest on Chase Sapphire reserve

We 'fell' for the VGF sale last year.. opened new CC in Sept with welcome bonus, 2% cash back and 0% interest for 12 months.(the 24 month one mentioned by another poster would be sweet!!)

Have that 30k cash was gonna use to pay sitting in 8 week Rollin T bills for a year earning 5.x% ( whatever the amount was plus the MB refund)

Good luck!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter