WDW and DLRP - a photo comparison

Princesses are popular with my family, so I'll add a few of those. Not much different to do here. But here're a couple parade shots, first from the WDW P&PP parade, then from the DLRP Once Upon a Dream parade.
Princesses-WDWCinderella.jpg
Princesses-DLRPCinderella.jpg

I don't know if WDW has cold-weather costumes - the end of May was plenty warm for the standard Belle dress (those are my little Princesses with her), but I found the ones in DLRP rather interesting (and this was in June).
Princesses-WDWBelle.jpg
Princesses-DLRPBelle.jpg

You can find the Cinderella statue fountain at each park, too. In WDW, if you face it just right, there's a crown that magically appears on her head. I didn't know to look for it in DLRP, but I don't see it in this photo. I do notice that DLRP gave her a more weathered appearance.
Princesses-WDWStatue.jpg
Princesses-DLRPStatue.jpg

I actually far prefer DLRP to WDW; DLRP has far more detail and touches not found in the MK at WDW and is more reflective of DL in CA. To me the Magic Kingdom in FL has always had a rather cheap feel as if they constructed it very hastily, and it does not have a lot of the charm and detail found in CA or in DLRP. I still remember how disappointed I was at my first visit to Florida many years ago, after years of visiting Disneyland in CA.

Many of the rides are better at DLRP as well - Big Thunder, POTC, Space Mountain are all better than their American counterparts. Plus there are many attractions not found in America, such as Crush's Coaster and Stich Live.

The 'Magic Kingdom' park of DLRP is by the way the largest of any of the five around the world.

I have yet to visit DLR in CA - maybe some day. I do love DLRP as it is such a beautiful park. I would find it difficult to say I prefer DLRP to WDW, since the latter is so vast and has so much more variety to offer. Comparing just the MK parks, I can see to arguement for DLRP. It has had the advantage of being designed and built in a time of more advanced technology. And it hasn't gone through years of multiple re-habs and retrofitting new attractions into existing spaces.

I didn't know the DLRP park is bigger (the numbers I just looked up say about 30% bigger in acreage). It feels much smaller - maybe more cozy. I attirbuted this feeling to WDW's MK being designed perhaps to accomodate more guests at any one time. I'm very surprised to hear that it is actually smaller.

hello :-)

I think as well that the big difference is.... the weather!

Only one hotel has an outdoor pool, that you could use at best during july and august
3 hotels has indoor pools , but rather simple
one pool has a slide

2 hotels has concierge facilities, while staying there you get granted a VIP fastpass, enabling you to join all the fastpass lines immidiately! and that's great
The disneyland hotel enables you to literally sleep in the park, as you are just at the entrance of main street usa.

downtown disney in paris is small , not to be compared to downtown in Orlando

Big thunder mountain and space mountain are way better in paris than in Orlando, faster, newer, longer :-)

I found food better in the disneyworlds restaurants , all types : fast food, buffet, breakfast...

I think disneyworld is way better because of the weather, the different parks, the food...and all other amusements the city is offering!

Love the pics!We are contemplating a trip to Paris sometime in '09 or early 2010. My dd would go nuts over the pink castle! I also think the POTC from the outside looks very cool.

I have (what may be a stupid) question....do the CMs and characters there speak only French or french and English? My kids will be old enough that it won't be confusing for them but I'm just curious.

Love the pics!We are contemplating a trip to Paris sometime in '09 or early 2010. My dd would go nuts over the pink castle! I also think the POTC from the outside looks very cool.

I have (what may be a stupid) question....do the CMs and characters there speak only French or french and English? My kids will be old enough that it won't be confusing for them but I'm just curious.

Please join the DLRP board - there are a number of threads on this topic.

I speak French fluently so don't really notice, but most of the board members are from the UK and don't speak much French, and say it is not an issue. I have encountered at least a few CMs however who didn't speak much French even though it is a requirement; one from Holland comes to mind as it was her first day and she was really struggling.

However I would strongly strongly suggest learning at least a few of the required phrases, as when one travels to any other country. It is a courtesy and shows respect for your hosts.

Outside the Magic Kingdom there's not a lot to compare. Maybe there would be more if I had actually gone inside the Walt Disney Studios at DLRP, but here are the front gates of each of the Studios parks.
Studios-WDWGate.jpg
Studios-DLRPGate.jpg

From outside I did manage to get photos of the WDW and DLRP versions of the Tower of Terror:
Studios-WDWTOT.jpg
Studios-DLRPTOT.jpg

Then I have a comparison of the respective shopping districts. First is Downtown Disney from WDW (sorry, not a great picture of the place). It's very spread out. DLRP's Disney Village is much more compact. One of the big character meals is there at Cafe Mickey.
2008WDW-May29BBB-Epcot-Contempor-9.jpg
Shopping-DLRPDisneyVillage.jpg

Thanks, it's been fun to put it together.

Here's a little more Fantasyland. The two on the left are some of the buildings in WDW, and on the right are similar building shots from DLRP.
Fantasyland1WDW.jpg
Fantasyland1DLRP.jpg

Fantasyland2WDW.jpg
Fantasyland2DLRP.jpg

WDW has Cinderella's Golden Carrousel, and DLRP has Le Carrousel de Lancelot.
CarrouselWDW.jpg
CarrouselDLRP.jpg

HorseWDW.jpg
HorseDLRP.jpg

Mermaid Ariel can be found in Hollywood Studios' Voyage of the Little Mermaid, or at DLRP's Once Upon a Dream parade
ArielWDW.jpg
ArielDLRP.jpg

We found Captain Hook and his pirates in the parades, too. First from WDW's Pirate and Princess parade, and then form DLRP's Once Upon a Dream.
PiratesWDW.jpg
PiratesDLRP.jpg

These two WDW version photos again are not mine. I need to make another trip to get the photos I missed.

Here's the WDW Astro Orbiter in Tomorrowland and the DLRP Orbitron in Discoveryland.
RocketsWDW.jpg
RocketsDLRP.jpg

Next is the Haunted Mansion from WDW and the Phantom Manor from DLRP.
HauntedWDW.jpg
HauntedDLRP.jpg

The WDW Mad Tea Party (at night obviously) compared to the DLRP Mad Hatter's Tea Cups.
TeacupsWDW.jpg
TeacupsDLRP.jpg

And to look at a slightly different subject: the rental double stroller from WDW and the rental from DLRP (I understand they have recently changed strollers in DLRP, so these may not be available anymore).
StrollerWDW.jpg
StrollerDLRP.jpg

I wanted to put a couple in here that don't correspond to WDW, but they do have relatives from DLR in California. Since I've never been to California, I looked for photos online, so once again this is not mine.

From the Storybook Land Canal Boats in DLR CA with Monstro, and Le Pays des Contes de Fées (Land of the Fairy Tales) with the Cave of Wonders.
StorybookDLRCA.jpg
StorybookDLRP.jpg

I once saw a DLR CA photo of this one (can't find it right now) - I believe it doesn't exist in the park anymore. But this is a very similar scene of Hook's ship and Skull Rock from DLRP.
SkullDLRP.jpg

Stroller parking, Disneyland Paris, one of the busiest days of the year outside one of the most popular rides

disneylandparis62.jpg

Stroller parking, Disney Studios, one of the busiest days of the year outside one of the most popular rides

disneystudios3.jpg

Strollers are definitely not as common as in American parks, as you can see... I took these photos specifically with this website in mind based on all the threads about stroller wars at WDW ;)

disneystudios1.jpg

Oh, DLRP looks so pretty. I would love to go there. We are planning a trip to France next year. My DH is French and we are going to visit his family. We'll spend some time in Paris. Problem is, DH is not a Disney fan. We always take our trips to WDW without him. And he has never liked the idea of DLRP. He will think it's ridiculous to go to France and spend a day at Disney. Hmm, think he'll notice if the kids and I slip away for a day when we're in Paris? I have to admit I think he has a point. Why go all the way to France to do something so American? But still, I want to go...
It would surely beat spending a day with my MIL!

I remember that there were hardly any strollers! There were not a lot of ramps, either. Lots of stairs. France doesn't have ADA.

I miss the Phantom Manor, the ride itself is great - you do sort of miss the graveyard from the US mansions but their version is awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter