WDW transportation last week -- Esp POR

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
DH & I think first off we are spoiled because our past trips to WDW were in early January, when there are no crowds to speak of at WDW.
But from what we figuring our poor bus service last week was partly due to the crowds and Disney obviously not increasing the number of buses to fit the size of the crowds.
We have stayed on site previously at CSR and ASMo. The bus service at CSR was very good, except coming back from DTD.
ASMo was perfect and organized.
POR last week was Terrible. Out of a five star rating I would give them one star and only because eventually you will get to where you are going.
By our POR bus experiences we learned:
* We had to wait a 20-35 minutes for a bus
* Most likely have to be rude to be one of the few who gets on the next bus (as some that come are already standing room only full)
* We most likely would be standing and packed in tight
* The longest bus line leaving the parks was consistently POR:p
* The POR CM's are out there in the mornings with their clipboards and taking notes. But that doesn't mean anythuing. Appears to be all for looks.
*Just because you are first there, doesn't mean the last arrivals for the bus won't be the first ones boarding.

POR bus was a total free for all. No organization. Every time, except once -- when the CM's sat in a car in the guest parking lot -- guests went up to the CM's to complain about the lack of guest buses going to the parks.
One family of five walked to the CM's, obviously irrate said something, and left on foot. I don't know if they just gave up totally or if they had a car they decided to drive instead.
The only one that seemed fairly plentiful was to AK. After that, forget it.
One morning, we waited and waited (again) for a bus. A CM standing there with her clip board, listening to an occasional gripe. But I couldn't see where anything was being done.
When we finally rode off, there were four buses waiting outside in the parking lot, as if they were waiting to be called! Three of those buses were needed just to pick up the remaining people that were just left behind.
There were so many people waiting for one bus that not everyone could even fit under the bus depot. And yet we wait for a lonnnnggggg time.
Mid week, they changed their service slighltly. The buses were too full of people at the main stop, so they never even went to the bus stops behind POR. I don't know what ever happened to those riders. They probably stood back there and rotted.
Then, POR started having their buses pick up guests at the bus stops behind POR and then go to the main bus stop last. (What a way to fix a problem!)
So every half hour we could count on getting a bus already full when there are hundreds of people wanting to get on!
People who had been waiting even longer than us most likely didn't get on. It seemed those just walking up were able to get on better, because they weren't buried in the back of the crowd.
It was a very said state of affairs.
At least at ASMo, when there was a crowd, it was in line and orderly and the CM's kept it that way. POR was literally a test of who was the most aggressive.

Then we also find out that Disney also cut out the bus service to the resorts from the TTC.:p You can get to a park, but not a resort.
Our last night we were at the Cont, and wanted to return to POR. It took a LONG time. We rode the monorail to TTC, only to find out we couldn't get a resort bus there.
Then got back on the monorail that sat for over a half hour because the monorail behind us broke down and we had to wait for that one to arrive. Then those guests had to cram on our monorail.
Then to a park, to again wait for a POR bus. Gee the whole process only took 1.5 hours.

And the DTD boats going from West Side to Marketplace only run on weekends (and maybe just at night). Not certain.

So, we know partly we are spoiled by going in off season. But WDW transportation has gotten much worse from what we experienced on previous trips.

That is terrible. Just reminds me why I don't use WDW bus service. We were at POR and went to eticket night. Thought we would do the "right thing" and take the bus instead of drive to the contemporary and park, and had to wait over 1 hour to get a bus back. We waited in line, and didn't get on until the third bus came because it kept filling up. All the while the All Star buses kept leaving half filled. We only drive to the parks now. no more buses for us.

Some things don't seem to change much :(. Last summer our friends were at POR, & we were at POFQ. We usually drive to the parks except sometimes to the MK. Well, the day we all decided to meet at the MK, our friends staying at POR were very late due to the bus situation at POR - busses full & not stopping anywhere at POR.

Luv2Roam
Sorry about your experience. We have always had great bus service at both the POR and POFQ. That being said, when we did experience a couple problems, upon returning I wrote Disney a lengthy and detailed letter. They were quick to answer my concerns and I evne got a call from the Director of Transportation. He seemed genuinely concerned to hear about specific situations where they could identify times, dates, etc. You might want to take the time to write them a letter. We have been very pleased with their response, in the past, and depending on the situation, they have made some much appreciated gestures. I believe the addresses are on the site somewhere and they have an email address too.

Oh believe me, I figure on writing them. ;) After my last two on-site stays, I rec'd a resort questionnaire. I am hoping I get another.
I hope everyone who was griping at the CM's by the POR buses does so also. Only then would maybe Disney actually change something.
I can say it is very doubtful I would stay at POR again, and the bad transportation being on top of the list as to why I wouldn't.
I felt sorry for one group who had been waiting 30-45 minutes for a POR bus into the MK last Tuesday morning. They were leaving POR just 5 minutes before they were suppose to check-in (15 minutes early) on some ressies. And I would guess their ressies were for CRT. Hopefully WDW allows extra time for their bad bus service and didn't consider them a no show, considering how hard it is to get PS for CRT.

Luv2Roam -

We will be at POR this week. We will have a rental car. Would you recommend not even trying the bus system and just using our rental car to go to the parks and then riding the monorail if we want to go between parks?

DH and will be at POR in September. Is there a notable difference between regular and off-season bus service? Do any of you think it might be better at that time of the year? The reason we decided to go with on-site was for the transportation so we didnt have to rent a car. I would hate to find out we made a bad choice :(

NicoleG - I would maybe give the service a try, with low expectations, and give yourself PLENTY of time. With a car, you have the traffic issue. But in the long run if your bus service is like ours was, I can't imagine you wouldn't save time and grief.
Dallas_Lady - I haven't been in Sept. And we were expecting larger crowds than we are use to. But the WDW crowds last week were heavier than we experienced at DL/DCA last year at the same time.
Again, you can give the bus service a shot. Hopefully it will improve by Sept.

Again, because of the bad transportation at WDW, last Friday DH & I saw several guests pass on Illuminations. They would just be arriving at Epcot as it started. And they did allow plenty of time. It's just the transportation service was bad (lack of and over crowded).

We have been in June, July, November and December. Fortunately we haven't had transportation problems, at all. We waited, at the longest, 15 minutes for a bus to wherever we were going (with the POFQ open and with it closed). Perhaps we have been lucky. We typically go once or twice a year, depending on the year. And, were there in November 2001 for our last trip. I'm hoping we experience the same great service we have had in the past and not what Luv2Roam had to endure. We will see.

I sent an email last night to WDW expressing my concern after reading the comments on the board about transportation.
If you are traveling and are concerned about bus transportation I would let WDW know. At least that way they know people are hearing some bad things. You don't necessary have to have experienced the poor transportation to let them know that is what you are hearing.
I've always thought that they should run two different lines for the POFQ and Riverside. The first line should get the one stop at POFQ and the first stop at Riverside. Another line should get the last three at Riverside. That probably won't happen but would seem to better distribute the passenger volume. I haven't suggested that yet but I may after I hear from them on the recent email that I sent.
Luv1Roam - I am so glad you are going to let them know. The more times they hear experiences like yours...the better. Hopefully you will get a positive response. Let us know what they say. I will let everyone know what the response is to my email, also.

Here is the email:wdw.guest.communications@wda.disney.com

Originally posted by Luv2Roam

* We had to wait a 20-35 minutes for a bus
* Most likely have to be rude to be one of the few who gets on the next bus (as some that come are already standing room only full)

Can I ask which POR bust stop you were using? Was it the main front entrance stop, or one of the back-side stops?

Sounds like the Magic on Demand system is not exactly working that good.

One note, Disney has been Cutting-Back Bus Service in the past
6 to 8 months.

Some Examples:

West Side Bus Stop at Downtown Disney still Closed
Less Buses on the Port Orleans Route due to French Quarter being Closed, Yea I know its Reopened but the Bus Service has NOT been Restored since it Reopen, Less Buses also on other Routes too.

The Time frame for waiting for a Bus use to be at every 15 mins
Now its at 20 mins no matter what, Use to have more Buses for
Heavy Guest Flow, Now if you get a Bus you may have to Stand up. By the way the Bus Capacity is at 72 persons to one busload.

One thing to do is to write Disney about the Bus Service, Tell them the Magic on Demand system does not work and has been a Failure. Maybe they will change things probably when they change out the Managers who push this system.

We, too, experienced some problems with the transportation system this trip compared to other visits to WDW. The worst time was when MK closed after the fireworks. The line for OKW was very very long (the bus was packed to the brim that left when we arrived). We waited over 25 minutes for another bus to come and then, that bus broke down at OKW way deep into the resort. We had to wait for another bus to come around which was another 20 minutes until another came to our bus stop and hitch a ride on that bus for our stop. We got into our villa two hours after the fireworks were done(very big crowds and slow walk with crowds out of MK). It was a terribly exhausting evening!!!!!

AZKathy, you bring up another good point about the Bus Transportation system, and that is Maintenance on the Buses is getting Really Bad now, I heard in the past couple of days that over 60 buses were down or Breaking down due to various reasons, what is happening is that Disney is not doing any preventive maintenance but instead they wait until something breaks and Boom, Bus Quits Running. We been getting also alot of Buses were A/C problems on these Hot Day at Walt Disney World.

The bus driver also said the newer buses like the one we were in break down a lot. They are not as reliable as the older ones with the orange seats. So, it is the brand of buses, also that seem to pose a problem. That evening, our bus driver said his first bus' a/c was not working, so he already had had bus problems before the electrical system caused problems with the bus we were on!

We went in Dec 2000 and stayed at Port Orleans and had a similar experience. At every park, and DD we watched every other bus come and we had to wait 30 minutes for our bus. Waiting at the resort was even worse as the buses came so infrequently that they were constantly full. The bus drivers were always saying how they were supposed to go to Dixie Landings after picking us up, but since they were full they would never stop. I hate to think how long those people had to wait. It was awful. Next trip we are going to stay at The All Star hotels because they seem to have the most, and best bus service!

I have NEVER had a decent time with the bus service. I have stayed at AS, Poly, CBR and SWAN and had all the problems that were mentioned. We always use a car. The worst service is at Downtown Disney! I will state this again: For a park that contains the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, why are they using a transportation system thay was designed in the early part of the LAST century:confused: They need to take a lesson from Las Vegas!

We returned from Disney on 6/10 and I can honestly say that we had no problems with transportation. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and rode the buses EVERYWHERE. We went to the main stop (the one near the lobby) and never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus and there was never a ton of people waiting. At the parks, we never waited much more than 10 - 15 minutes for the bus back to the hotel.

Maybe we just had good luck!

We also felt that POR had the worst transportation of any place we've stayed yet. And, the kicker for me was, that after you waited for the bus - usually standing, and then stood on the bus like a sardine, you discover that the POR bus stop is the FARTHEST from the gate in every park! What was that all about?? LOL. And, like you said, leaving the park you only had to look for the long, long line way down at the end to know it was the POR bus stop.

Not returning to POR this year - instead going to the "other" resort that has the most posts about poor transportation. WL! Hey, at least they drop you off closer to the gates!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter