• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW vets visiting Disneyland for the first time ever!

nuttyliser

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are taking an anniversary trip to Disneyland in January. We've been to WDW many times, but never Disneyland! I'm looking forward to exploring the parks and seeing all the differences. I've done some research, but now I'm coming to you to find out what to look for and where to go. I don't want to miss all the fun things that are different! We have 3 full days at the parks to explore. Tell me, what do we need to see?

Do your days include at least one weekend day? January is low/non-peak season (NB that does not always = low crowds), so the entertainment schedule will have nighttime entertainment on weekends only (Fri., Sat., Sun.). There will be more ride refurbs in January, so check the refurb list to be prepared for that. There will be a new fireworks/projection show starting mid-month. You are within your 60 day window if you wanted to make any reservations for TS restaurant meals or dining packages.

We are California natives that are now living on the East Coast, so we are lucky to be visitors to both parks. I would definitely recommend looking up a list of what rides are unique to Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom. That will give you a starting place for attractions that you definitely don't want to miss. It is also worth looking up a list of what rides are just different between the 2 parks. For example, we prefer Pirates at Disneyland to the Magic Kingdom's version. Personally, I think the food choices are not much different, although the churros in Disneyland are definitely better than anything at the World. Make sure to look for the little things like the light in Walt's apartment and Snow White's wishing well (we got engaged there!). Have an amazing trip!

If you have not found it yet, this is a good resource:

"A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

:wizard:

Thanks, I have already read through this and loved the info there. I'm looking for more of the little details that one might not know to look for. For instance, I just recently saw that you can find Beast's library in DL. I had no clue that would be there!

Do your days include at least one weekend day? January is low/non-peak season (NB that does not always = low crowds), so the entertainment schedule will have nighttime entertainment on weekends only (Fri., Sat., Sun.). There will be more ride refurbs in January, so check the refurb list to be prepared for that. There will be a new fireworks/projection show starting mid-month. You are within your 60 day window if you wanted to make any reservations for TS restaurant meals or dining packages.

We will be there Sunday-Tuesday full days. We won't be sad if we miss the fireworks shows. We tend to take advantage of that time to ride more rides while everyone else is staring at the sky.
I do need to research TS options, but it looks like there is a good selection of counter service places that would keep us happy.

We are California natives that are now living on the East Coast, so we are lucky to be visitors to both parks. I would definitely recommend looking up a list of what rides are unique to Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom. That will give you a starting place for attractions that you definitely don't want to miss. It is also worth looking up a list of what rides are just different between the 2 parks. For example, we prefer Pirates at Disneyland to the Magic Kingdom's version. Personally, I think the food choices are not much different, although the churros in Disneyland are definitely better than anything at the World. Make sure to look for the little things like the light in Walt's apartment and Snow White's wishing well (we got engaged there!). Have an amazing trip!

Thanks, I've been doing research on the rides and will begin a list of ride priorities! I really can't wait to explore the differences and see the things only at DL!

... I just recently saw that you can find Beast's library in DL. I had no clue that would be there!
I'm not familiar with that in DL. Isn't that in the Animation Building in DCA? Is it still open? We haven't stopped by the library in a long time.

The new Tropical Hideaway area in Adventureland looks really fun. I've only been to DL once, but I found their Adventureland to be an uncluttered revelation compared to Florida's Flying Carpet mess. The Bengal Barbecue window is really good!

Splash Mountain is weirdly cramped in comparison to WDW, but has some weirdly dark storytelling choices. Well worth a comparison.

I think some sort of Fantasmic dining package may be worth it if you like that show. It is much better at DL in most people’s opinion. If WOC is open back up don’t miss that. Make sure to ride all the Fantasyland dark rides. They are classics that many can’t be found in WDW.
So much good counter service food at DL. Better choices than WDW IMO.

I have been to WDW only a few times but know the place inside and out through research. I went to DLR for the first time in August, only did the one day park hopper, but I think I can help.

First, it's good that you're spending three days at the park as you will see everything. But my first tip is to absolutely get the MaxPass, especially if you want to get as many rides done as possible. It will save you more time than you can ever imagine and would highly recommend it.

At DL, rope drop Space Mountain and go from there. Note that Space Mountain has a single rider line that is rarely used, when I was there in August the ride had an 80 minute wait but walked on as a single rider! It's great for rerides, but if you don't want to rope drop Space than rope drop Matterhorn.

For DCA, rope drop Mission Breakout. I know it goes against all touring plans, but if you go to Guardians at opening and walk on, you can easily get out and get a FP for RSR. This is made much easier with MaxPass as you can book a RSR FP while waiting for the rope to drop!

As WDW vets, do TSMM once cause it's a fun ride, but don't make it a priority. Also don't worry about Soarin' as it's an exact clone of Epcot's, if you haven't done Around the World yet, then I'd do it once. Don't worry about Star Tours at DL as it's an exact clone of DHS's. Otherwise, still do all the rides in DL that are like MK such as BTMR, Splash, Buzz, etc., as the rides there are different though they share the same name!

I really hope this helps!

With three days in January & Maxpass I wouldn't worry too much about prioritizing what is or isn't at WDW. Everything is different between the parks, even if the differences are subtle. Just enjoy the ambiance, which is what I believe is the biggest difference between the 'Land and the 'World.

3 days is a great length of time for DLR. Do you have hoppers? I highly recommend them.

A few suggestions from some of my DLR favorites. Some of this you will already know about, but I'm including it anyway:
Food:
- Blue Bayou - It's just such a unique experience eating inside of Pirates. Really cool restaurant. Definitely need ADRs.
- Carnation Cafe - We love that place for breakfast, but we've also had dinner there and it was very good.
- If you like coconut, a unique to DLR snack is the Matterhorn macaroon, which you can find at Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe at the end of Main Street.
- Bengal Barbecue - by Indiana Jones. SO GOOD. Especially if you're meat fans. Our favorite CS at DLR.

Attractions/Shows:
- Space Mountain is much better at DLR than at WDW. Our strategy has typically been to rope drop it and also grab a fast pass. We've never used Maxpass, though! That might get you on even more times.
- Indiana Jones! Don't miss it!
- Matterhorn! You'll hear mixed reviews, but I just love it
- Storybook Land Canal Boats - try to get these at night. I love that ride when the lights are on in the buildings in the little scenes. Just magical.
- Frozen show at DCA - We were pleasantly surprised by how great this was, and we did not have high expectations because we loved the Aladdin show so much.
- Radiator Springs Racers - and all of Carsland! To me, RSR is a lot more fun that TT because of the theming.
- World of Color. Even if you miss other shows, I'd still make sure to go see that. It's amazing.

Have a wonderful trip! I'm really excited for you getting to experience it for the first time. Nothing compares to that magic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter