• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW with 9 month - Should my stroller recline all the way?

danicaw

DIS Veteran
I am due in June with my first (a boy!) and we are planning to take the little guy to WDW the end of January with a troop of Grandparents.

We found a stroller we like and bought it several months ago with WDW in mind. It a bit more padded than a standard umbrella stroller, reclines - but not all the way and folds up super small (a big selling point for us at the time).
Well my 10 month old niece just got back from a weekend at DisneyLand and my MIL bought a Full Size stroller for their visit. All I hear is how much everyone loved the fully reclining seat. How wonderful it was and how she just slept whenever she wanted.

I hate to admit I might have been wrong, not getting a bigger stroller with a full recline (really, its hard for me to do an I am not ready to say it out loud yet ;) ) But I want my little guy to be happy and have the best trip possible.
Our orginal thought was to take a stroller he was familiar with. I hate to just forget the other one we bought, but it was on $50 and Hubby and I agreed when we bought it that if need be we could try something else.
I need the experience of the experts.

I have a question for you? What kind of stroller did you intend on using until the child was at least 4 months? An infant that small, needs to be laying down flat, they don't have the head strength to sit up or be partially reclining, so you need a fully reclining stroller for those first months anyway. If you want an umbrella stroller type, one that fold up very small, there are some on the market which would accomdate both. They are kind of pricey though, start at $200 and go up, but are really the best kind of stroller for the long haul. I found out that the full-size Graco type strollers, especially those with trays, don't last past a child once they are 2. My personal favorite now is the Peg Perego Pliko. It fully reclines, folds up VERY small, and the bar is removable once children get older. You can also order a part which makes the stroller compatible with ANY TYPE of car seat, so you don't have to take the baby out of the car seat and just snap it in and off you go.

I didn't mention it before but we have a Snap-N-Go stroller that our carseat snaps into.
bbtr_gzst.jpg

This was our plan for baby until he is old enough for the other stroller we have.

A really little baby (< 4 mos.) should have a full recline, but for an older child a partial recline should be fine. You don't want a stroller with no recline at all, though, that's hard on any kid's neck for sleeping.

I'm betting that the stroller you have will be your favorite over the long run. Light and small trump all other considerations when travelling, and they are easier to deal with quickly. Those big tanks get really tiresome to haul in and out of a car trunk. Remember that the stroller and the booster seat are the two pieces of equipment that you will use the for the longest period of time, and as they get older, a light little umbrella stroller is usually the most convenient.

As to what to use for the really young baby, you don't really NEED a stroller for a small one, a sling or snugli will do nicely. If you want one, I'd suggest getting a frame-only stroller that will hold the infant carseat, such as the Snap-n-Go, or the Kolcraft Universal Car Seat Carrier. Those are small and easy to use, and have great resale value. Look around and see if you can get a used one. (You will note that the carseat doesn't allow the child to lie flat, so I've never understood the importance in a stroller; I think that what counts is that the child's back and head are adequately supported, so that he isn't slumping.)

It is also possible to use a foam wedge to allow a small baby to lie flat in a partial-recline stroller. Get a piece of 4-6" thick sofa-cushion foam from a fabric store and use an x-acto knife to bevel the top and bottom of one side of it. Cover the foam with fabric, and you've got your full recline. (If you do this, don't forget to cut a slot for the crotch strap to pass through. The side straps should have enough length to go around the wedge.)

BTW, I also own a Pliko, and while it is versatile and compact, don't let anyone tell you that it isn't heavy. However, it is the only umbrella that will easily carry my 45-lb, 5 yo park junkie, so it goes with us to WDW these days. I actually like my Maclaren best of all; that one is a dream!

Becareful with those Snap and Go's. Really take one out for a test drive before you decide to go with that one. The handles are VERY short and can get pretty uncomfortable if you plan on using it for any extended period of time. I didn't like them, because I thought they were very flimsy, and both my kids HATED their car seats. They were much happier being pushed in their strollers in the mall, then in their car seat. I never would have been able to go out if that's all I had!!!

NotUrsula - It's funny that you mentioned your Maclaren. I also have used one of them, and I MUCH prefer my Pliko to my Maclaren. I actually replaced my Maclaren with the Pliko!!! The Pliko is 5lbs more than the Maclaren, but it is actually more compact in my opinion. But I agree with you that teh Pliko is INFINATELY better for the larger child. My main reason for getting it, the long haul. Also, DD 5 can ride on the back, which is very nice, especially at WDW!!

IMO almost 9 months old don't need to fully recline. When our now 14 month old was about 5 months he got RSV. We propped up the crib mattress with a small pillow between the mattress and springs. Improved his breathing greatly. We took him to WDW at 12 months and never fully reclined the stroller, in his case he slept better with an approx 45 degree recline.6- 9 month olds are a hardy lot, you should see some of the positions he has put himself in to sleep.
We went to WDW in late January this year. I was more worried about keeping him warm w/out overheating him. Think layers, light blankets and a small canopy over the stroller to block ever present wind. Must have worked because everybody but him got sick coming back from WDW.
Congrats on your soon to be new arrival.

Thank you all for your experience.
I am really looking forward to babys first WDW trip.

Thank you.

Which makes it likely we have different models. The Maclaren is a 2002 (uk) Vogue, it weighs 9.5 lbs w/ hood on. My Pliko is a 1999 Sherpa, it weighs a little over 18 lbs, counting the hood and lap bar. Essentially, it weighs twice as much. One of the things that peeves me about the Pliko is that it folds with the seat exposed, so the strap ends tend to escape and flap all over the place. (I also have a Chicco Fly3, which is 8 lbs., but it only has a 3 pt harness, and begins to be difficult to steer with a load over 25 lbs.)

I know that the Pliko is supposed to be able to carry another child on the back, but I don't think that step is too safe for more than a few minutes at a time; it's too narrow for good footing. I prefer to go with a real buggy board if I'm transporting 2 children.

The one you have should be fine by the time you go! It'll be easier to transport on the busses, boats, etc.

Also, yes it's true that baby can sleep whenever they want, but you should ALWAYS still go back to your room so they can have a peaceful nap. Because the parks are noisy, sleeping there still stimulates them - I only know this because I learned the hard way!

Good luck and have fun!

I would take into consideration what resort you will be staying at, because that is a major factor. If you are at a resort that uses exclusively buses as transportation, I would think very seriously about stroller size/weight. JMO. lugging a heavy stroller on the buses is no fun. we have also found that the bigger the stroller, the more stuff you will drag along with you.

We used a combi that was lightweight and did not recline fully when Anna was 8 months old. We have also used a chicco trekking stroller (very similar to the Pliko). I love that stroller, but it is not light at all. we didn't use the buses much on that trip, though--stayed at the Dolphin and dd a lot of walking to Epcot :) Anna will be 2 in October and we bought a chicco umbrella stroller. it doesn't have a full recline, but she won't need it then. It is very lightweight--about the same as our combi.

I have to say that when our daughter was 8 months old she spent more time in the baby bjorn that anywhere else--she was up where she could see the "world"

Hopefully this helps!

My opinion: Every mom needs TWO strollers.

The first stroller should be a big, full-sized model with a big sun hood. A reversable handle is nice, and be sure that you get a model with 4 turning wheels (much more manueverable). A newborn will need to use this stroller exclusively because he won't have the head strength to sit up. When the child gets older (and you grow tired of dragging this huge thing in and out of your trunk) you'll still use it for all day trips to the mall and amusement parks. You'll find that even an older child will sleep well in this type of stroller.

Next you need a small umbrella stroller that you'll start using around six months when the baby can sit up fairly well. At that point you'll like using the smaller stroller because it'll be much easier on you for quick trips. This stroller will live a hard life -- consider it disposable. I think I had three small strollers during my "baby years."

Be sure that both strollers have the largest possible baskets for carrying stuff. Slightly off-topic: buy a diaper bag with a snap on the handle so it won't waste your basket space.

I don't care for the car-seat /stroller combinations because they're smaller than the full-sized versions. You're likely to need that little bit of extra size when he's about three.

I personally despise all Graco products (well, I did have a clip-on high chair that was great). I bought their LiteRider (full sized model, about $90 six years ago) stroller before my second daughter was born. She was born at the end of June, and we live in the deep South. The wheels just aren't sturdy at all, and they warped the very fist time the stroller was left in the heat of the car. Their customer service told me it was my fault for leaving it in the trunk. Where are you supposed to keep your stroller?

Have you looked at consignment stores? They often have a great selection of barely-used baby items -- strollers included. Just last month I decided that my 5 year old probably does still need a stroller for our upcoming summer trip, so I bought a full-sized Century model at a consignment store for $30. After washing the padding it looked 90% new. Consignment stores are a great bargain!

I hate full size strollers and plan to do the snap and go, if ever have another child (very slim chance of that happening). I am short, so the short handles would not bother me. Then I would invest in a very nice light stroller, that can recline somewhat.

Just get your baby used to that stroller. You can start an umbrella stroller once they can sit without support.

I highly suggest going back to your resort for a break, though. Never mind the baby,you will need a break!

To tell you the truth I don't think you will know which stroller you want/need until you get to know baby better. Don't take this wrong but all babies are soooo different. Yours may sleep anywhere anytime so any stroller will do or he/she may only sleep in a crib so no stroller will do LOL. Most fall somewhere in between !

Don't worry you will know what to do when the time comes! I second the suggestion about a sling or snugli - wdw or at home. I wore my second and it was wonderful, only wish I had one for the first. Waiting in lines and riding rides will be much more tolerable if you have the sling or snugli and wear baby. Strollers arn't allowed in the lines and I always just felt safer wearing baby on say - peter pan or pirates.

My girls were great stroller sleepers so a lightweight fully reclinable stroller was what we took. They slept when they needed to regardless of where we were.

I do recommend a good sunshade and perhaps a fan that attaches to stroller. For a really warm month I also used an attachable umbrella for extra shade. Another poster thoughtfully mentioned that location is a factor - it makes a difference if you will be using car, wdw bus or monorail/boat.

Hope this helps -
TJ

we are now being told over here (in the UK) that babys shouldn't be spending more than a couple of hours in their carseats, unless you are actually travelling in the car (When obviously it is unavoidable).

there is some info here (this is an ad for a flat carseat, but I have seen this info elsewhere, just can't find the link right now)

while the snap and go looks handy, I don't think I would have the baby in it all day at a park.

Bev

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter