We are driving in April from CT. I have a question???

Mickeydad

A wise man once said... "You're where you are toda
I have a friend that drives trucks and he HIGHLY suggested we use I-84 out of CT to Scranton, PA. Pick up I-81 down to Roanoke, VA. Pick up I-77 to I-26 in Georgia. Pick up I-95 in Georgia to I-4.

Has anyone ever taken this route?? My cousin just drove this route 2 weeks ago and said it was heaven. The route takes you away from the NJ, Maryland, Wash. DC. bottleneck on I-95.

We have a Windstar with a VCR (with headsets for the kids). We are actually looking forward to driving and having a car for the week at BWV.

We plan on leaving Hartford at 1pm, sleep in S. Carolina, and plan to arrive at BWV at around 2pm.

Took that route (in 2 sections) during the past 3 months.
We have (in the past) driven to @ Boston going both ways, I95 and I77,81,84,95 route. Have also driven to WDW both routes, I40,95,4 and I77,26,95,4.
Definitely the route your friend suggested is the way to go.
It takes out the Maryland, DC uncertainty, and is less crowded.

FYI, as a time estimate: (individual times may vary according to driving style and preferences)

Monroe, CT area (via Tappanzee bridge down to 84, then 81 to 77) to @ the I77 and I40 intersect in Statesville, NC - 10.5 hours, assumes driving within 10 miles of the limit (as Virginia outlaws the use of radar detection equipment).
That intersect down to WDW property, @ 9 hours, if no major stops for meals.
You are looking at about a 20-21 hour run all together.
Beware the highway work in Georgia, as it seems almost the entire stretch of I-95 is under construction, thus a work zone.

Thanks Robert!

I didn't know that Virginia doesn't allow radar detectors. I turn it off.

Not only take it down, but take it down and put it in the back with the luggage. I have a friend who was ticketed for having it sitting on the floor of the passenger seat.

Anne

I have driven this route many times in the past and I enjoy it much more than driving straight down I-95. I breaks up the boredom of just driving on one road.

i will tell you one thing I wuld avoid I95 in dc and virginia any way i can. Drove from RI to dc in 6 hurs then it took 3 more hours to get from dc to fredricksburg VA> The traffic was awful!!!!!

My parents are driving down from CT. to Orlando on Sunday- I passed on all the good information from this thread but now my dad wants to know if anyone has an idea on how to avoid the construction traffic on I-95 in Georgia???? Any help is appreciated- Ellen

I just checked map quest and there really isn't another route that won't take him way out of his way.

We have done both, and 84,81,77,26,95 is the way to go. WE will be going again this year on that route. We have clocked the difference to be 130 miles longer, but given the stress levels, it is well worth it. There were no major cities to contend with like DC, NYC, Baltimore, etc. In fact, we rated Jacksonville, Fl. the "biggest" city the whole way, and you would hit Jacksonville either way. Have a safe and fun trip.

I have been thinking of taking this route also.We live in central PA and would pick up 81 just a little south of us.I was wondering what is 81 like the whole way,is it a 4 lane and is it alot of driving up and down hills?Is the time it takes to travel this route about the same as the time it takes to travel 95?

I am told by MANY that have driven this route that it is quicker than I-95 because you bypass the city traffic. Also, the speed limit is 65 and goes up to 70 on I-77. I-81 is a 2 lane highway, but everyone pretty much goes the same speed. Usually 5 or so miles per hour over the limit.

We have driven this route many times and it is the way to go So much easier the 95 straight Lots less traffice but still a nice way to go.

Mickeydad:
Provided you can get to that route w/o going too far out of your way (and alas, I can't) it sounds like a better, less stressful route.

However-your truck driving friend should have told you that the route is swarming with other trucks, so be prepared to do battle with countless 18-wheelers. And it's not all an idyllic scenic route. Previous posts have reported construction and backups along the way.
That said--it still has to beat the baltimore/DC/N. Va. area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter