We Got Really Lucky--Our First Stay at BWV

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
We had been on the waitlist for a Studio at BWV for several months. Stayed on the waitlist past the 7 day window and even called the morning we were flying down to see if anything had cleared. No such luck.

We spent the Friday and Saturday night at Port Orleans French Quarter and were scheduled for OKW for the rest of the trip. On Saturday we went and parked at the BW to walk around and then maybe head over to Beaches and Cream to eat. When we walked into the lobby of BWV, I approached the Registration desk and asked about availability. I explained the wait list thing and said I didn't think it would hurt to check if we could move from OKW to BWV. The CM went to the back for a moment and came back and said no problem, they had availability. Put a smile on my face as we had not stayed there before. Then I got real courageous and asked about a view of the Boardwalk--no promises I was told, I understood, reiterated it was our first visit and son's 19th birthday and he really wanted to stay there, so forth and so on. No promises again.

On Sunday we went to check in. Room not ready--call later--you know the drill. Called around 1:00 and room was ready. Stayed at MK until we had done all we wanted to do there this trip. Arrived back at BWV around 4:00 and asked where our room was located. Down the hall take a right until we get to that room number. Well, what do you know but we were located in the Studio located immediately over the sign for the Wyland Galleries. The room was beautiful and we were thrilled. It was a dedicated studio, not part of a two-bedroom.

Loved the BW location in relation to everything else. Loved being able to walk right down to the Friendship launch to head to EPCOT and being able to walk home. Loved the close proximity to the Pin Cart on the Boardwalk. Loved having the sofa during the day, hated pulling the sofabed out at night for son to sleep on and putting back together in the morning. Loved the larger wet bar area. Loved the large vanity area, hated the small shower area and the door that you always had to shut when not in the bathroom. Hated the bright light that came in thru the top of the curtains no matter how closely you pulled them together-assumed this was from the lighting of the shops. We did not hear much noise from the Boardwalk except when they rolled the large carts or whatever they were out each morning. Did hear noise in the hallways as in any hotel, which you would not hear at OKW. But at the same time, liked the hotel atmosphere.

The CM's at Boardwalk were very very friendly and helpful, especially the Bell Staff.

Had breakfast at Spoodles, no more buffet, just menu. After ordering and while waiting for food a fire truck "drove" up the Boardwalk, then arrived the EMS truck. They came in, said no real problem, checked it out, and immediately evacuated all of the Guests and CM's. There was a gas leak. We stood outside 15-20 minutes and then were able to go back in. Cooks were the last ones to show back up, when they did we finally got our food. No mention of breakfast on the house or anything, which surprised me. Didn't ask for it, but a typical Disney move is to offer a comp something when inconvenienced. We paid the bill and left, our morning delayed by about 45 minutes because of the gas leak.

No mysterious call on the morning of checkout, but we were out the door before 8:30 to go to Boma's for breakfast.

Hubby enjoyed BWV but says he really appreciates the big bathroom of the OKW studios and having two beds was better than having a sofa. He also prefers the more laid back atmosphere of OKW.

I was sad to leave and wish our stay could have been longer. I cannot say that I wished my home resort was BWV rather than OKW, but I look forward to staying there again.

While some people on these Boards are strong proponents of one resort over another, there are things I like and dislike about both OKW and BWV. I am just pleased and proud to be a DVC owner and to have the opportunity to stay at either of these two fine Resorts.

wow: glad it all worked out. thanks for a nicely balanced perspective of the differences. there's always good and not so good in the comparisons. it really does depend on your priorities. did your son prefer the bwv location, or did he miss being closer to dd and pi?

wdwnut. He loved the BW location. He liked being able to head back down the Boardwalk after us old folks were ready to call it a night. This was only our third DVC stay, so he did not have a lot of prior visits to compare to.

It was amazing to me how deserted the Boardwalk was in the mornings. I expected to see a lot more people getting their day started than I did. We encountered very few people.

hi: he'll fit right in with our kids. our kids are teens and twenties. they prefer bwv for the location and of course, the short pool-hop to sab. they loved staying at the regular wl , but when i ask where they want to be on vacation, it's always bwv. my son and dil split their stay this summer between bwv and the gf.

Thanks for the report & comparison between BWV & OKW. No more buffet at Spoodle's? That had become one of our favorite breakfast spots now that Bonfamille's is gone.

Judith, we were told that it was discontinued on October 1 and they were not sure if they would reinstate when business picked back up.

Hope you are well. Did lots of pin trading on this trip.

ya know I really cannot decide what resort I like better OKW or BW I guess for the next 40 years or so I will just have to decide!!!!!

Joe in CT

I think that which resort is more appropriate depends on what "type"f vacation you're looking for.

When DH and I go alone, we tend to like OKW or WLV because they are a little more laid back and relaxing...the ambience over at WLV is serene.

If we go with a group, I think the BW is a better choice, because there are more and easier ways for groups to split up and do what they want on the BW and in the 2 parks that are within close proximity, in addition to some transportation issues being a little easier from that location. You can boat or walk to Epcot or MGM...which pretty much covers the transportation for 2 of your major parks fairly easily...and bus to AK,MK,DD, & waterparks. You can walk to Fantasia Golf.

Kind of the differnece between going to Manhattan vs Vermont for vacation...relaxing or exhilarating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter