We just loved Animal Kingdom!!!!!

Jon99

DIS Veteran
Our most recent trip, back in mid December, was the 4th time I had been to AK.. The first three times it was a 4-5 hour visit and we moved on, this past trip we totally LOVED this place. Enough so that we not only spent a full day there, from opening until 5, but we spent a few more hours there a few days later, just taking in all of the little things people never hear of, taking pictures of the animals and birds throughout the park etc....One of the best parts, was the parade, nothing spectacular, but fun to watch!

Perhaps staying at AKL put us into the "animal mood", but we just loved the place!!!

I agree with your thoughts on AK. We make it a point to go there at least twice during our trips. We also stay longer each time we go. This is a great park for just relaxing and taking your time to see evrything. While MK remains our favorite park, it is always more crowded and feels so rushed. I think more people need to take a renewed look at AK for everything it has to offer not just for the rides (or lack of them).

I also agree. We love this park and couldn't wait to go again during our November trip. We made it back as far to the exhibit way at the back of the park, where you have to take the train before my 15 year old son fainted, hit his head on the cement on the way down, and had to be rushed to the hospital. Oh my.

Everything turned out to be fine. A manager at the park was nice enough to give us one day park hopper tickets for all in our party to make up for our lost day.

AK seems to be a hate it or love it park. Many of my friends don't care for it, but our family just loves it.

We were only there once just after it opened (11/98). It was so hard to get around. We had a hard time finding the attractions. Thought we were on our way to the Safari, and we ended up on Conservation Island :confused: . It doesn't help that it was really hot and crowded that day.

Unfortunately, my DH told me yesterday that he could take or leave going to AK this trip :( . Any tips for getting around AK? My in laws will be with us when we visit the park. I think we'll just take our time and use FP whenever possible. Hopefully signage has improved.

First off, glad everything turned out ok for kel3420, nice way for Disney to handle it....

As for getting around the park, we STILL get lost and confused, but when you are not in a hurry that can be a blessing!!!! We saw some really neat little things, animals, water falls, benches to sit down and enjoy a Coke etc, when we were not where we thought we were... Our second day back we didn't do a single attraction other than seeing Festival of the Lion King, we simply walked around, absorbing the beauty of the park and browsing thru the shops...

Having grandma and grandpa with us will make us stop and smell the roses--literally! There aren't that many attractions on our must see list. When the park opens, we can either try to get on the safari or get a FP, as that is the most important. I'd like to see Festival of the Lion King, Tough to be a Bug (love that one) and maybe Primeval Whirl. Kids can do Kali Rapids themselves! LOL. Brrrrrrr.

Just have to remember, you have to go back to the Tree of Life to get to the next section, right?

It is absolutely the most beautiful and spiritual park ever!
I am disappointed in people that expect it to be a zoo or the traditional park and can't deal with something different, putting pressure on Disney with consequences like the Triceratops Spin area... ::sigh::

Isn't there a "bar" like place in Hambre (sp?)? Anyone go there? Would it be a good place to stop and have a beer? Is there any entertainment to see which resting there? Any other suggestions about the park or what to see, do , to make it special?

Glad to hear from other who love the AK. I hear so many people claim that AK is a 'half day park', but it just isn't so - not if you do everything and take the time to enjoy all the detail throughout the park. We always spend a full day (9 to 4:30) and another half day on our trips. The first time we went to AK (AP preview and when it first opened) we were not really taken with the park - 4 hours was enough. Now that we have taken the time to see everything, and have kids who love animals, AK is a close second to the MK.

I expected our family to spend only a few hours at AK due to so many reviews on the boards saying it's only a "half-day" park, but we were very pleasantly surprised! We really enjoyed AK and made a full day of it--and will definitely not miss it on future visits. We rode Kali River Rapids last just prior to leaving the park and changed the kids into dry clothes when we got to the car. We did get soaked--but it was fun! :D

We too love the AK.

I can see how people can get disenchanted with the park though. It is very meandering and HOT!!!!. Touring there in the summer can be very difficult. Our strategy is to go over two mornings. One morning, we make the dash to the Safari with everyone else and then we grab a FP. This gives us plenty of time to walk the nature trails before it gets crowded. The other morning we go towards Dinoland which is EMPTY! We usually can get that whole half of the park done before the crowds pick up. Then we can slow down and enjoy the beauty of the park. I would never stay past lunchtime in this park during the summer!

Now, strategy aside, it amazes me what people on these boards say about this park! The main attraction is the ANIMALS. There are plenty of attractions to intersperce with viewing the animals. The safari is excellent and we enjoy Dinosaur. Plus, ITTBAB, Lion King, and the Bird show are very good. The park is absolutely gorgeous and is probably the most themed park of them all. I believe if people would enter this park with the proper perspective, they would not be so disappointed. I am sure that Epcot was met with the same criticisms when it opened because people just did not "understand" it. Hopefully, over time, people will begin to appreciate the AK for what it is. The animals are and should always be the main attraction. And while I love new and thrilling attractions as much as the next person, my first and foremost reason for going to this park is to enjoy the animals.

Sorry so long, I will be stepping off my soapbox now....
Kelly

There is a bar in Harambe called the Daiwa Bar. They serve drinks and frequently have a show with acrobats - very entertaining. The bar is outside, but it's shaded with fans and is great for people-watching.

Also, if you really want an immersive park-appreciation experience, take the 'Wild By Design' tour. It's excellent, and will give you a real appreciation for the park, its design, and the many details that often go unnoticed. Did you know that Harambe is a detailed copy of a real African village?? Right down to the cracks in the sidewalk, everything was duplicated from what imagineers saw in Africa. Additionally, there is a real baobab tree in front of the Tusker House that most people never give a second glance - the ones on the safari are fake - but this one is real and they found it next to a parking lot in Miami and moved it. ---- These are just a couple of things I remember from the tour, but there are many many interesting facts like that to be learned on the tour. I highly recommend it.

Did you find that the animals were active? When were they the most animated? I think the colder weather may affect them?

The animals are generally more active early in the morning and during cooler periods. When it is a hot afternoon, they pretty much hide and just try and cool off.

That's my question-
What about in the winter? Is it better to visit the park when it is 60 ish rather than 40 ish? Thanks!

It really makes no difference. People will tell you that you only see animals doing stuff on the safari in the morning, but that's not always true. Anytime you go, you'll see animals and some will be sleeping and some will be moving around. The only time I *ever* saw the big lion up and alert was around 3pm, and that's when people say it's the lamest to go. So, it's really just luck of the draw. My advice - as far as the safari, is to grab a fastpass when it's convenient, walk the Pangani trail and see the gorillas, then go on the safari when your time rolls around. If you don't feel that you saw enough animals, ride it again later.

Something really cool I learned on the tour is that the gibbons/siamangs in Asia do their calls every morning. Before daylight savings it was around 10:30am, but naturally, this isn't an exact time. We went over around 10am and just hung out watching them and were rewarded for our patience. It's really awesome to hear them up close and watch them like that. Maybe if you head over there in the morning and asked around, the cast members in that area could tell you when they have been doing their calls. I imagine the time slips somewhat throughout the year. But it's a real treat to get to hear them if you get a chance.

On our upcoming trip I'm planning on AK for two long mornings. We have a 2yo who needs afternoon nap time, but we find there is so much to do here we want to be there more than one day. We all love watching the animals and they have some great shows here too. And DD could spend all morning on the slides near the Boneyard!!!

I know the pathways are small getting into the park and it does creat a bottleneck, but once you get past them in the morning it is much more manageable.

I also love AK. However, I think that people's reactions to it are very dependent on what time of year they go. I agree that AK can get very hot, and it's alot harder to like AK then-for one thing, I don't tend to want to wander around in the extreme heat! The weather was lovely the first couple of times I went to AK, but the 3rd time was July and I definitely did not enjoy it then! And one time it was in the mid-thirties (record cold), and that was not enjoyable either. I hated the safari ride that day-it was freezing, felt especially bumpy and hardly any animals were out.

Another AK fan. I was there last month, had a blast, and did only one ride I did my entire visit- Kilamanjaro Safaris. There's always something interesting to see there- whether entertainment like DeVine or the drummers on Disocvery Island or animals to watch (and yes, they are more active in the winter than the summer). I've been to zoos before, including Busch Gardens in Tampa, but this is so much more incredable. The feeling you get when a real and powerful tiger is just inches away from you and looking you in the eye is unbelievable. If you want to go on tons of ride, this is the place. If you want to have a truly unique and fun experience, this is the place.

AK is my favorite park. I went there 2 days on my last trip. I enjoy the atmosphere along with all the sights. I think this park is very beautiful and creates the effect of being a far away land. I almost forgot I was in the middle of Florida. I really think Disney did a great job with this park. I can't wait to go back. The safari is a favorite along with Dinosaur and Kali River Rapids. I can't wait to see what they bring to this park. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter