We missed Castaway Cay, but appreciate the compensation

auntlynne

Aunt Lynne
Fantasy, Sep 2 sailing: Hallway announcement by Captain that engine technical issues were causing us to miss Castaway the next day (we were not scheduled until a 10 am arrival, as it was).

The letter placed in our fish relayed that we would receive $250 credit per stateroom and a 25% discount on a future sailing (in the next 24 months, with some limitations).

It was a beautiful day in the Bahamas and would have been lovely on the island; lots of families with young children (many first-time cruisers). Sad for them.

On the day, we still had not sailed past Castaway at 2:30 pm; we were just slightly South of it then. At 4 am, I saw some metal structures out the window, with possible arrival at the port ~4:30 am.

I consider this to be fair and adequate compensation. The ship’s function is their responsibility. It’s not a weather issue, outside of their hands.

Want to give them some credit for their actions. And not just to those who complained.

Well, we complained politely but forcefully at guest services immediately after the announcement. We might be why 25% on next cruise lol. This is our second fantasy cruise. And the SECOND time engine “technical” problems have caused us an itinerary change. Disney has explaining to do. The offer is useless to us. We do not cruise Disney enough to use it.

Want to give them some credit for their actions. And not just to those who complained.

Yeah, that's awesome!

We got nothing the first dip of the double dip where yes, we docked, but it stormed to the point that the gangway had to be closed after 5 minutes and the crew and the few guests who had gotten off had to be shuttled back to the ship after sheltering in the bathrooms. We didn't even have the benefit of being at sea - we could see what we couldn't experience.

And nada. Or at least nada for the whole ship. There may have been people who pitched fits at Guest Services who got something.

As much as I love CC, and would be bummed to miss it, I wouldn't mind getting that offer. I hope you can make the most of your discount, and enjoy CC then.
We can’t book with it until Sep 21 (per the offer) but I think it will still help offset the price of the Treasure. Rumors are we can stack Placeholder and this one - I will attempt it. Fingers crossed! Planning on same itinerary, different ship. However discounts work out, we plan on booking it in our preferred (non-hurricane) time frame. The savings are icing on the cake.

Well, we complained politely but forcefully at guest services immediately after the announcement. We might be why 25% on next cruise lol. This is our second fantasy cruise. And the SECOND time engine “technical” problems have caused us an itinerary change. Disney has explaining to do. The offer is useless to us. We do not cruise Disney enough to use it.
If it was yours or others’ complaining, I thank you for the entire ship!

Yeah, that's awesome!

We got nothing the first dip of the double dip where yes, we docked, but it stormed to the point that the gangway had to be closed after 5 minutes and the crew and the few guests who had gotten off had to be shuttled back to the ship after sheltering in the bathrooms. We didn't even have the benefit of being at sea - we could see what we couldn't experience.

And nada. Or at least nada for the whole ship. There may have been people who pitched fits at Guest Services who got something.
Weather is not the cruise line’s fault. Technical problems are. Those have always been treated differently.

Disney cruises miss Castaway entirely due to weather multiple times each year with no compensation offered. Same as how a theme park does not refund your tickets if it rains all day. We once went to an all inclusive in Mexico where it poured all day every day. It’a a risk of taking a vacation during rainy season!

Curious as to when your first issue was the Fantasy was?

I've complained before about the Fantasy 's engine not being up to snuff....would like to know if they'll schedule another attempted repair soon if it's causing frequent (?) issues with ports.

We can’t book with it until Sep 21 (per the offer) but I think it will still help offset the price of the Treasure. Rumors are we can stack Placeholder and this one - I will attempt it. Fingers crossed! Planning on same itinerary, different ship. However discounts work out, we plan on booking it in our preferred (non-hurricane) time frame. The savings are icing on the cake.

If it was yours or others’ complaining, I thank you for the entire ship!
Hi! Curious if you booked and how the 10% and 25% works?? We were on the same sailing.

Hi! Curious if you booked and how the 10% and 25% works?? We were on the same sailing.
I also can confirm you can stack the 10% and the 25%.

Even better, the 25% can be used for Concierge (most discounts cannot). Got a 25% from the Wish last April and used it to upgrade to Concierge last November!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter